i bought an unlocked 8300 from ebay and it used to be for the Rogers ... BlackBerry Curve forum

kawaiichan no está en línea Stack level 1

Changing default volume on 8300

Advertisement

i bought an unlocked 8300 from ebay and it used to be for the Rogers carrier but now i'm using it here in the US with my ATT sim card. i noticed that the volume is TOO HIGH on the low setting and i want to adjust it so that it's lower for night time since i don't want my phone to ring too loudly at night when people are asleep but i looked everywhere under OPTIONS for the volume control. i think it was supposed to be under general options but it seems to be missing? how can i fix this problem?

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Re: Changing default volume on 8300

You go into Profiles (Icon looks like a speaker) and scroll down to Advanced profiles> and from here you can make adjustments to all of your ring volumes for all notifications - Phone, Email, Texts, etc.

i tried that and currently the volume is set on "LOW" for all calls and messages but the "low" is still too loud and i want to lower it to a more believable "low" sound because the low for me is loud enough to hear in a different room. under the HELP section on the phone, there is instructions for changing the default volume for calls: menu-->options-->general options-->default call volume

but the thing is, that option is missing from my phone and i don't know why. i think the previous owner might have erased it or disabled it somehow?

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Default Call Volume doesn't refer to the default for the volume of the ring, but for the volume once the phone is answered. It can be set to 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% or Previous.

If the 'low' is still too high for you, my suggestion is finding a ringer you like, downloading it onto your computer and editing it. By lowering the ringer's dB level in a sound editing program you can lower how loud it plays by default and then it will play even lower when you set your phone's ringer settings to 'low'.

A free (and excellent) Audio Editor/Recorder is Audacity. If you need more detailed help on using the program to adjust it just post back.

PIN/ID
    spam=no

Quote Originally Posted by kawaiichan View Post
    but the thing is, that option is missing from my phone and i don't know why. i think the previous owner might have erased it or disabled it somehow?
    Are you going to 'Options' from the dial screen or did you go to 'Options' via the home screen icon?

Once you press send key (green call button) to bring up the dial screen, you should be able to choose Options, General Options, Default Call Volume (which should be below "Show My Number").

ah, thanks so much! yep, i've been accessing the options from the home screen, not the dial screen (shows how much i'm new to blackberry----i've been using a treo in the past)

and i actually do have audacity but i've never used it to edit ringtones. how do you go about doing it?

btw, under the "default call volume", what does "previous" mean (that's what i currently have it set on)?

PIN/ID
    spam=no

Quote Originally Posted by kawaiichan View Post
    and i actually do have audacity but i've never used it to edit ringtones. how do you go about doing it?

btw, under the "default call volume", what does "previous" mean (that's what i currently have it set on)?
    Go into Audacity, open an audio file (either through file/open, or drag n' drop).

-Click edit (tool bar), select, all (or just drag the cursor along the part of the audio clip that you want to use)

-Click effect (tool bar), amplify

In this area you will pull the bar back into the negative range. The farther negative it is, the lower the dB level is and the quieter it will be. You can click preview to listen to the new level before choosing 'ok' and applying it.

You then export it in whichever format you like (.wav or .mp3) and you're done.

----
    Previous means it will be the setting you had it on during your last call.

thank you so much! everything is perfect now!