Hi Everyone i tried pretty much everything and my wifi still wont work i bought ... BlackBerry Curve forum

flaviarpp no está en línea Stack level 1

Can't connect to wifi pleaseee help

Advertisement

Hi Everyone
    i tried pretty much everything and my wifi still wont work
    i bought the curve 8320 unlocked so I can go to Brazil where I live in the summer and use it there
    i have at&t but its a no contract plan so i dont know if my wifi not working has something to do with it, but that is why i bought a phone with wifi so I wont need to have a contract phone while i am in the USA
    I tried everything every single help from youtube to google.
    when i scan for networks my phone always finds the network i use , then i click on connect and then i get the msg: UNABLE TO CONNECT REASON: FAILED TO ASSOCIATE WITH NETWORK
    pleaseeee i need help im tired of trying to fix it
    Thanks!

mobienthusiast no está en línea Stack level 1
    I'm a little new at this, so if I am completely off base please tell me. My inclination is this might be a problem with your provider and not necessarily the phone.

Which country are you in when you cannot connect? If you are in Brazil, does your AT&T plan include international coverage? Have you asked them directly about this problem? The first person who answers the phone might not know, and if not, you can ask for a supervisor with international experience.

mobienthusiast no está en línea Stack level 1
    I just did a quick search online and saw answers ranging from "take out the battery and put it back in" (which worked for someone), "pair the device" (worked for someone else), "change the settings for connecting to auto" (worked for someone else) and "get a data plan" (not sure if that was a snarky answer or the truth).

Good luck, please let me know if any of those work.

thank you so much for the reply
    right now i am in park city, utah
    i dont have a data plan with at&t but i saw in several websites that i dont need a data plan to connect the wifi...
    so i tried everything and nothing worked
    also tried your advices except the data plan thing (which is a sunday and its closed and also ill be back to brazil in a few weeks so it not worth to put a data plan ill do that as soon as i get there...)
    But thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it
    =]

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Flaviarpp, You don't need a data plan to use the wi-fi on your phone - I've been doing it with a spare BB for years, currently the 8120. Have you tried to connect with several different wi-fi locations? If so, the following re: your router may not help. If not, it could be the settings on your router. For example, I saw this solution to the same problem on another forum:

I had the following settings when it would not work: (Linksys router)

Network Mode: Wireless-N
    Channel Width: 40Mhz Only
    Wide Channel: 7
    Standard Channel: 9 - 2.452Ghz

I adjusted to the settings below and it worked

Network Mode: Mixed
    Channel Width: Auto
    Wide Channel Auto
    Standard Channel: Auto
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

I tried at my job, at home and nothing
    And how do I change the settings? I m sorry i feel like im abusing but right now im thinking i bought this phone with wifi for nothing =/
    thankssss!!

Flav, Check these settings just to make sure you have them set (using the menu key just left of the trackball):

- Options>Wi-Fi Connections>Wi-Fi Selection Mode: Automatic
    - Options>Mobile Network>Connection Preference: Wi-Fi Preferred
    - Options>Advanced Options>Browser>Default Browser Configuration: Hotspot Browser
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

I tried that too...
    im starting to think that the problem is the phone...=/

It could be the phone. You didn't say where you bought it - if there's any chance of getting it replaced for one that can be proven to work or a refund I'd start thinking about that. Otherwise, do you have a "friendly" repair/service shop that you can take it to to have the wireless side of it checked?

Ok so I got a new phone but still can't connect
    it says now that cant get an IP address =/
    what do I do now? Anyone can help me? Thanks

Flaviarpp, We gonna need more info. Now you have a new phone with a new reason ("can't get IP address" vs. "failed to associate with network") etc. Start from the beginning, forget the 1st phone and included your phone settings, carrier, location (Brazil, US, where?) and what steps you go through and the results of each one. Then maybe we can lend a hand.