I'm James from Hong Kong. Currently, we don't have any BB Curve in Hong Kong. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

lojames no está en línea Stack level 1

Can I buy BB Curve from US and use it in Hong Kong ?

Advertisement

I'm James from Hong Kong. Currently, we don't have any BB Curve in Hong Kong. I want to buy solely the device from existing available carrier in US or Canada.

Is it possible to use this device in Hong Kong? Any risk? I understand there might be something like SIM lock that could disable user buying the device from one place and use it in another place.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2

Re: Can I buy BB Curve from US and use it in Hong Kong ?

As long as they have any of the major gsm freq bands. Dont know bb mail or what not.

userlan667 no está en línea Stack level 2

I am pretty shore you can but minutes and data costs a lot. I know you can not use the BB in Japan or Korea, they use a whole different system.

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

from what i understand this cant be done. i believe you would need a sim card that is compatible in hong kong. if you tried doing it i believe it will read sim card error. im going to look into it further and see what i hear. i have some friends in hong kong. ill keep ya updated.

Quote Originally Posted by NICKY88XX
    from what i understand this cant be done. i believe you would need a sim card that is compatible in hong kong. if you tried doing it i believe it will read sim card error. im going to look into it further and see what i hear. i have some friends in hong kong. ill keep ya updated.
    No, it has nothing to do with your SIM card. All the SIM card really does is IDs your phone with the network. It has to do with the type of phone you have. Like in Japan to use there network you would need a WCDMA 2100 phone. The BBs are GSM 850, 900, 1800, and 1900.

I just checked with AT&T and they said that voice and data did work in China. They work on the GSM network and the BBs are GSM phones.

lojames no está en línea Stack level 1

Can anyone help me confirm with AT&T that I would like to buy the device (excluding SIM card) from then via on-line order and whether they can be sure that I can use the 8300 in Hong Kong after I apply for a service plan with Blackberry service. There are services in Hong Kong for blackberry.

Thanks and please help me check. I don't want to buy it and at the end can't be used in Hong Kong.

As I said before it will work. You can go to http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/ to check or call AT&T Wireless at 1-888-333-6651 or call there international service help line at 1-800-335-4685.

Dolphin no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by lojames
    Can anyone help me confirm with AT&T that I would like to buy the device (excluding SIM card) from then via on-line order and whether they can be sure that I can use the 8300 in Hong Kong after I apply for a service plan with Blackberry service. There are services in Hong Kong for blackberry.

Thanks and please help me check. I don't want to buy it and at the end can't be used in Hong Kong.
    Hopefully this answer is not too outdated. You should be able to get an unlocked Curve and use it anywhere you want to use it. Check: www.gsmphonesource.com - there is a thread on BB Forum that seems to indicate that it's a pretty reliable source of unlocked Curves.

Good luck

superdad no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I assume u want to use a local connxn in hk and not a cingular or at&t with a roaming connxn? That would be too expensive.You should ideally pickup an unlocked curve from ebay or anywhere else.u can also buy a network locked phone u can always unlock it.there are many sites that offer those services.once it is unlocked,the phone will work 100% in hk.I hv friends in hk who are currently using bb's.