Hi Guys, i've had this happen a couple of times now. My call logs and ... BlackBerry Curve forum

markmjh no está en línea Stack level 2

Call Logs and SMS gone???

Advertisement

Hi Guys,
    i've had this happen a couple of times now. My call logs and SMS just vanish!
    Both are completely clear! My e-mails also seem to drop off once they are over 3 hours old.
    This does not happen all the time, but when it does as you can imagine it is really annoying.
    Any help guys?

os - 4.2.2.184

Cheers,
    Mark

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Go to Options>Status and see how much free file you have left.

Could be your memory is extremely low.

File Total - 54919168
    File Free - 7185504

Is this low???

Quote Originally Posted by markmjh View Post
    File Total - 54919168
    File Free - 7185504

Is this low???
    Yes, that is very low!

Please see below information on how to free up some memory:

Closing Open Applications
    ALT+Escape/Back Key
    Make sure you haven't left applications open.
    There should be 5 applications that are always open.
    Default 5: Phone, BBmessanger, Browers, Homescreen, and Call Log
    You may have other 3rd party applications that may have to run in the background, but most can be closed.

Auto Delete ON/OFF
    Under Messages:
    Select Menu/Blackberry Button
    Select Options
    Select General Options
    Keep Messages: (Shortest is 15 Days, Longest is Forever)

Battery Pull
    Pull out battery and leave out for 30 Seconds.
    (I do this at least once a week) Just for safety and memory leaks.

Check How much free memory you have
    Options -> Status -> File Free: XXXXXXXX Bytes
    Make sure it's not low.

Clear Event Log
    Press ALT + LGLG
    Menu/Blackberry Button
    Select Clear Log

Clear Browser Content Cache
    Open up your Browser
    Menu
    Options
    Cache Operations
    Clear Content Cache

Delete unwanted Applications to free up Device Memory
    By using your Desktop Manager, and Application Loader
    uncheck unwanted Applications also unused Language Packs

Update your OS
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...rade_your.html
    This is a link to a list of Blackberry OS by carrier.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/3311-blackberry_os_software_links_carrier.html
    Remember that OS's are not carrier specific, and you can use any OS from any carrier as long as it's for your model of phone. Do this at your own risk. If you have to return it at anytime you may void your warranty. You can always reload your carriers version, but that's a whole other process. IF you do use another carriers OS remember to delete the vendor.xml file located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\(your current OS) after installing the OS and before plugging in your BB.

*Most importantly if you have been storing Media on your phone without a Media Card. I would suggest getting one. Remember you only have 64mb of phone memory and the OS will take up about 20mb. So you're working with only 40mb of free space! That's nothing.
    BUY A MicroSD card!!! OS 1.103 supports 4GB now!! Hooray!!
    If you need help inserting it go here; http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...rosd_chip.html

I hope this helps everyone. If I'm missing any other tips let me know I'll edit it.

*another explaination

RIM has identified a design problem with the way that controls within the media application have been implemented. In the media options ("Media Application" > Pick an application such as Pictures > [BlackBerry Menu Key] > "Options") there are two settings:

“Reserved Pictures Memory” – Default Value = 10 MB – This setting reserves memory for Pictures that the customer may take. It blocks off the memory, reducing the “File Free” amount that displays in “Options” > “Status”. This guarantees that the customer will have memory available and will not overwrite email messages within the memory setting set.

“Device Memory Limit” – Default Value = 20 MB – This setting is a safety water mark. It prevents the customer from placing more than the specified amount of memory in their content store (pictures, ringtones, music, etc.. in device memory)

The implementation problem with these settings is that the “Reserved Pictures Memory” setting does not prevent the customer from going beyond the specified amount of memory. That is to say, if the customer has it set to the default value of 10MB, they are not prevented from taking 15MB of pictures for example. The only setting that will limit them is the “Device Memory Limit” setting.

The 20MB default value for this setting is a bit high as typically after loading the handheld software, the memory available is about 20MB. If the customer has a number of contacts, calendar entries, tasks, memopad items, emails, etc… they could have less than 20MB available. This means, with the default settings, the customer could fill their content store to the point that Low Memory Manager activates in an attempt to free up new space by deleting emails and call logs. If approached by a customer in this situation, please recommend that they reduce the “Device Memory Limit” setting to it’s lowest value of 12MB. It is recognized that even this value is high, and the values (including the defaults) are being adjusted in future releases of handheld software.

================================================== ========

Having a large amount of images, ringtones and or games stored in the device may reduce available free memory. If the BlackBerry Pearl's memory is at or near capacity the handheld will begin to delete the oldest Call Log and Text Message (SMS) entries in an effort to free up memory space. In order to prevent this, free memory must be increased.
    NOTE: Saved messages will not be deleted.

Thanks to reddog for posting that information! The entire thread can be read here:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=22541

First think you should that will probably clear up a bunch of space is the event log.

From the home screen, press and hold the left "Alt" button, then type L, G, L, G alternately. That brings up the event log where you will press the BlackBerry Menu button (just to the left of the trackball), select Clear Log and Delete. Check your fre file space after that and let us know what it shows.

Cheers folks.
    i've just had a very quick clean up and it is now showing 15586588 free.
    What should i be looking at for free space?

That's still pretty low. You should be over 20+mb to feel comfortable.

Try this next:

Open a Messages folder, click your BB Menu Button, scroll down to View Folder and then select that. Next, scroll down to Phone Call Logs and click on that. Go to the very top, press the BB Menu Button again and select Delete Prior. That will clear out your phone logs and free up a lot of space.

Your profile doesn't show your current OS. You might want to do a fresh install of your current OS or install the latest OS for the 8310 (which I also just successfully did). Got me to over 26mb.

Let me know if you'd like to try that as well.

::edit:: Just saw your first post contains the OS you're using.
    Last edited by RogerG; 06-20-2008 at 01:48 PM.

extreme99 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hi, im having problems with my curve deleting my texts and call logs. I tried some of the things above but it hasnt freeed anymore memory.

Apps that i have running are: gmail app, message app, and the browser.
    I do have a 2GB MicroSD memory card installed:
    BB 8310
    V4.2.2.170
    File free: 22968896 bytes
    File total: 58064896

supaman no está en línea Stack level 2
    easy way to free up space also to add to this thread is to go to options-advanced options - applications delete any unnecessary applications or languages for example help option which imo is useless also tty support for the deaf of hearing u can also delete sample video and any unnecessary languages that you may have.