Hey everyone, Lately, I've been getting the busy icon constantly and it's driving me insane. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Charneus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24372D18

Busy icon constantly

Advertisement

Hey everyone,

Lately, I've been getting the busy icon constantly and it's driving me insane. I've had to disable auto-updates for my programs and even uninstalled some. There are two that I can not uninstall, no matter what. One is the Fox News mobile alert shortcut, and another apparently came with another program, but it's the Yellow Pages shortcut. Neither of them are removeable. I'd also like to remove the Push-to-talk application, but cannot remove that either. I'm hoping removing these things will help my bb run more smoothly. If not, can I get some suggestions from other users? Here is what I've done so far:

1. Changed auto-update from 10 minutes to 30 minutes for Weatherbug Direct.
    2. Uninstalled Viigo
    3. Changed AP Press to not update until I'm actually using the program.
    4. Deleted everything in LGLG and set for warnings only.
    5. Deleted all my old SMS/emails (even sent)
    6. Ran the memory cleaner tool.
    7. Uninstalled Facebook and Myspace

I'm running on AT&T, Curve 8310. Please help me! Thanks!

Charneus

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Charneus,

Please go into Options>Status and tell us what your File Free reading is. What OS are you running on your device? Options>About, 3rd line down.

To remove PTT, you'll need to have whatever your device software is loaded on your PC. Then on your PC, navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\Loader Files\Java. In there you'll want to look for a .cod file called net_rim_bb_phone_ptt.cod and delete it. Once you have deleted it, connect to the PC, launch DM and go into Application Loader>Add / Remove Applications. Once you get in here, the DM application will notice that the .cod file is missing from the OS application files on the PC then subsequently remove it from your device. Let us know if you have further questions on that.

As or the Yellopages shortcut, that is unfortunately a service book that is continuously pushed to us from AT&T, so about the only thing you can do with that is hide the icon.

Have you tried removing the Fox News application through Desktop Manager? Once you delete the application and reboot your device the icon should disappear from your device as well.

Sounds like you've done a lot of good things, so hopefully we'll get that spinning hourglass issue resolved for you!

If you click on the FAQ link in my signature, you'll find a whole tread dedicated to clearing up device memory.

Hope this helps!
    Roger

swalker2001 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2461c562
    Have you installed ant new themes lately?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    24372D18
    Hmmm... I can't seem to find the Shared folder you're talking about, Roger. I've just recently re-installed DM after my computer had crashed, but cannot find it at all.

As far as Fox goes, no, there's no way to even remove it with the DM. Nothing even comes close to listing Fox as an option.

As far as any new themes, I have installed new ones. Hmmm. I really don't like the default ones. I'm going to find a way to get rid of those as well.

File free shows 9350108. I appreciate the help you've given so far! I'll have to look up your signature (I currently have signatures disabled, I think).

Charneus

Quote Originally Posted by Charneus View Post
    Hmmm... I can't seem to find the Shared folder you're talking about, Roger. I've just recently re-installed DM after my computer had crashed, but cannot find it at all.
    Charneus,

Whenever you reinstall DM, it also removes whatever OS you had on your PC, which explains why you can't find the Shared folder. You'll need to reinstall the OS now, too and then you'll be able to delete PTT.

Once you install the OS and bring up Desktop Manager>Application Loader, see if the Fox app is in the list of applications. If it is, hopefully you can uncheck it and it will uninstall that along with the PTT application.

You might also want to consider deleting the TTY and Help applications, which you can do right from the applications list on the device because your free space is pretty low. Deleting those two should free up about 5mb. You don't need TTY unless you're hearing impaired and you don't need the Help application because, well, you have PinStack! Anyway, once you get under 10mb you can certainly start experiencing the spinning hourglass and even start losing things like texts and messages.

Keep us posted!

Roger

PIN/ID
    24372D18
    Actually, I've gone through in the past and did remove the TTY and Help. I don't use BBM either, so that's not installed. I don't have any extra language support, just bare bones of what I need as far as the OS goes, which is the latest from AT&T.

Then again, I do have some other things installed:

NY Times Crossword
    USA Today Crossword
    Platinum Sudoko
    Block Breaker Deluxe
    Pinstack app
    AP News
    Documents to Go
    PDF to go
    Opera Mini
    Weatherbug direct
    Flycast
    2 extra themes

Perhaps a couple of those programs can be uninstalled. I know that I don't use Docs to Go as much as I thought I would. And a couple of those games, I don't play so much. So, those are going to be uninstalled. The one thing I wish is that I could easily download things onto my micro-card instead of BB memory.

I will say after taking some of these steps, though, I do see less of the spinning hourglass...

Charneus

PIN/ID
    24372D18
    As an update, I now have 20MB free, and thanks to the mention of service books, I now have fewer icons I need to hide. I deleted several service books, like all the Media Mall ones, the Yellow Pages (which hasn't been back yet), the telenav, musicID, and streaming music service books. I was hoping there was one for the Fox app, but nope...

Once I get home, I'll reinstall that OS on my desktop. Thanks again!

Charneus

Glad to hear you've cleared up a bunch of space, Charneus!

The bad news, though, is that next time service books are sent to your device for any reason, many of those icons will reappear. You're better off just hiding them and in reality, unless they are live applications, they use very little if any memory.

And yes, you are wise to uninstall any applications you use infrequently and store as much as you can on your media card. All themes and ringtones, for instance can be stored on and used from the media card and here is an application that might be of interest to you. While you can't actually run applications from the media card, this software assists you in moving them back and forth from the card when you need/want them. Might be ideal for those apps you don't use very often.

PIN/ID
    24372D18
    Sweet.... managed to delete the AT&T theme (wish themes would work without the other default themes), and now I have almost 25MB free. Been making a huge difference in my performance now. Got rid of Voice-Activated dialing since I don't use that. Thank you so much for all the advice. I've gone from only have 7MB to that 25MB, which is an increase of 18MB.... wow...

Charneus

Congrats! Nice work, Charneus!