Hi, I just got my bb8900 a few days ago. Everything is working just fine ... BlackBerry Curve forum

tonyu no está en línea Stack level 2

Browsing Problem

Advertisement

Hi, I just got my bb8900 a few days ago. Everything is working just fine with the 8900 including a few 3rd party apps that I installed. The only thing I can't get to work is that I can't browse using the wi-fi feature. I have already linked it to my home router and it indicates it is connected, but when i try to browse, I just get the message "unable to find the requested server". I know my router is working fine since my laptop has no problem browsing. I suspect there are some configuration settings that are incorrect. I would appreciate any help on this . Anyone have any ideas?

Papag no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b0c8db
    I just answered your PM RE this issue Tonyu.......

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    What Router are you using? are you using a cable modem, and a wifi router ? which one is running the DHCP server ? are you using push button setup? What DNS is it showing when you are connected? are you sure it is completely connected ? is the wifi icon white? or grey?

What are you tyring to browse using the wifi?

Need some more info please
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Yes, my modem is cable and wi-fi router. Sorry I dont know what the dhcp server is. However I think it isn"t completely connected since the wifi icon is gray. I was just trying to browse yahoo or google.

s4berry no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyu View Post
    Yes, my modem is cable and wi-fi router. Sorry I dont know what the dhcp server is. However I think it isn"t completely connected since the wifi icon is gray. I was just trying to browse yahoo or google.
    Tmobile? And you have a data plan? If no data, I believe you won't connect even through wifi (you still need the data plan). If you got the data plan, you should see "UMA" if you are connectd via wifi.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

PIN/ID
    24b0c8db

Question

Tony and I exchanged PM's all night (i work graves and had the night off) and it is not his BB AFAICT. All his WiFi entries on his BB are correct. I don't know who his Internet provider is, but he is using a CD-R King router which I have not heard of (I spent 25 yrs in IT support). I went to their site and although I found the router model, I could not find any support info on it. He has WEP configured on it, and his computer can log into it, but the BB will not "complete the trip" using it. When he does WiFi diagnostics on his BB, the only red checkmark is "connected" and WiFi icon is greyed out. His BB can "see" the router (green WiFi tower, but no green checkmark), but will not talk to it. I suspect a router configuration issue. I have asked hm to do one final check to verify that the BB has no issues, and that is to go somewhere where there is a known working wireless hotspot or a friend's house to see if he can connect there without issue.

Any other thoughts?

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by s4berry View Post
    Tmobile? And you have a data plan? If no data, I believe you won't connect even through wifi (you still need the data plan). If you got the data plan, you should see "UMA" if you are connectd via wifi.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~
    False, dont need a data plan to connect to the internet via wifi, UMA is voip service that tmobile offers and it has nothing to do with the data plan, all you need to get that is a working wifi conection.

Quote Originally Posted by Papag View Post
    Tony and I exchanged PM's all night (i work graves and had the night off) and it is not his BB AFAICT. All his WiFi entries on his BB are correct. I don't know who his Internet provider is, but he is using a CD-R King router which I have not heard of (I spent 25 yrs in IT support). I went to their site and although I found the router model, I could not find any support info on it. He has WEP configured on it, and his computer can log into it, but the BB will not "complete the trip" using it. When he does WiFi diagnostics on his BB, the only red checkmark is "connected" and WiFi icon is greyed out. His BB can "see" the router (green WiFi tower, but no green checkmark), but will not talk to it. I suspect a router configuration issue. I have asked hm to do one final check to verify that the BB has no issues, and that is to go somewhere where there is a known working wireless hotspot or a friend's house to see if he can connect there without issue.

Any other thoughts?
    i think the best bet is going to hostpot place and check if the phone connects to the internet via wifi, if that doesnt work might be wifi radio problem
    When i say i have Bold family phones, I meant it, from the older to the younger, even the unborn ;)

PIN/ID
    24b0c8db
    I agree, which is why I asked him to do this final step to make sure......

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Ok i had a problem where with that setup both my cable modem, and my wifi router, were both acting as the dhcp server, I had to go into one of them and turn off its ability to act as a dhcp server (it passes out ip address to your devices and computers. The reason is both units were sending out ip and sometimes would assign the same ip to 2 different unit and neither one would connect.

But then I had another problem I was getting connected with my phone but the wifi wasnt turning white. I went into my router (buffalo something or other w/aoss) and turned off the aoss which was working with a ps3 and wii gaming system. and try manual security. Finally with no luck I just turned off the wep completely and left it open and the BB connected just fine, all the way down to bb infrastructure,

Not much help i know but at least i knew it could connect to my router.

using ipconfig on pc and vista power tools i went through all the dns domain ip and gateway and made sure it was correct, but i noticed something, my pc was connecting through an open DNS from the web, instead of the default one from my ISP (i did this a couple years ago to speed it up) but anyway I changed that and went back to default settings, and tried it again.

It was still working but not when i put back on wep

last thing i noticed was that the domain suffix it was getting with the auto ip and dns, was one from my router, not my cable modem, and for some reason when I set it up manually and put im the one from my ISP which was something something comcast. something, instead of the one from the router it started working, with the wep key

Maybe some of that will give you more to look at.
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

PIN/ID
    24b0c8db
    Yeah, it is definately a DHCP issue. I could not guide him on the router setup because I could not find support info or software for it. His laptop logs in fine and gets an ip addy. However, he is in the Phillipines and I have now idea who his provider is.

Tony...have you had any luck? did you find another place to test your BB?

Hi there Ralph. Yesterday I went to 2 different hotspots and tried to connect but still nothing. This morning when I went to my office ( I was out of town yesterday), my bb automatically connected to the office router (I didn't make any changes to the configurations/settings) and I was browsing without a hitch. I noticed that my office router (D-link) was using channel 6 while I remember that my home router was using channel 1, so I was planning to try to change the settings of my home router when I got home. Upon arriving home a few hours ago, I tried connecting to the wi-fi here at home and guess what - my bb now connects without a problem to my router and I've had no problem browsing for the past couple of hours. Unbelievable! I don't know what to make of it. Whatever it is, I'm just glad its working fine now. Thanks again for your help.

Tony

PIN/ID
    24b0c8db
    Wow. Glad it is working, but how weird.