When I saw a friend using an iPhone instead of her 8310, I was surprised. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

manx driver no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Broken plastic assembly for trackball ring

Advertisement

When I saw a friend using an iPhone instead of her 8310, I was surprised. She said her trackball kept falling out of her 8310 and that now she had lost the ring. "Easy fix!", said I, but upon closer examination, I found that the reason a new trackball would not stay is that the plastic assembly for the ring is broken!

I can find numerous threads on replacing trackballs (and have replaced several trackballs too), but what about replacing that plastic that holds the trackball ring? Is fixing that user friendly, or is it time to send the phone in for major surgery? JPG attached...

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Yikes! I would suggest a new housing. While you're at it have it customed all blacked out or whatever color your friend may desire. Don't go any further; just get the new housing which will include the trackball . Be sure it does though. Good luck
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

manx driver no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Ouch... a whole new housing? Might there be an easier solution? Another other suggestions, Stackers??

chsguyi69 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    215B74E3
    I replaced mine from a ebay order for under 5 bucks, thats trackball and the new housing. Make sure when you order the new trackball it includes the new housing ring. This is a 20 second swap and fix, the new ring will make all the difference, just make sure the 3 feet that hold the ring in place are set with the middle foot face toward the bottom of the blackberry or you will break the plastic pieces off.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by chsguyi69 View Post
    I replaced mine from a ebay order for under 5 bucks, thats trackball and the new housing. Make sure when you order the new trackball it includes the new housing ring. This is a 20 second swap and fix, the new ring will make all the difference, just make sure the 3 feet that hold the ring in place are set with the middle foot face toward the bottom of the blackberry or you will break the plastic pieces off.
    There are broken parts inside, if you look at the pic closely you can see that the ring can't be locked in place because the plastic the ring clips into is broken. No simple fix for this, new housing or new phone....
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    That blackberry is filthy.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    ^^YES, it is! Lol

Looks like that phone is used as a projectile. Only fix as AZ said is to get a new housing no ifs or buts about it. Or better yet send me the phone and I'll fix it for myself. Get a trackpad bb. They're the best thing next to the storm I guess. Rather than dealing with those damn annoying trackballs.
    Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14912/1186; U; en) Presto/2.2.0