Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

To those who've made the switch, or have both, SHOULD I? I'm contemplating selling my ... BlackBerry Curve forum

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro

Bold to 8900

Advertisement

To those who've made the switch, or have both, SHOULD I? I'm contemplating selling my Bold to a friend for $400 and picking up a Jav for around $650ish. I don't need the 3G at all (I'm on Tmo USA) and I prefer the Curve keyboard style.

But is it worth it? What's your opinion? Are you happy with the Jav?

Let me know!

kramed no está en línea Stack level 1
    I sure wouldn't pay to downgrade.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Karlos16UK no está en línea Stack level 2
    No way would I sell my Bold to move to a lower spec unit. I know we all get tied up in the "its new it must be better" syndrome, but the Bold is the dogs danglies as far as mi limited experience has found.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Paying to downgrade is a move that most people would regret.

After a spate of early production Bolds' that had issues, the current models are high quality, well made and fast. I'm truly enjoying mine and glad that I persisted until the early bugs were worked out. My newest Bold is an outstanding BlackBerry !

Helmdawg no está en línea Stack level 2
    I love my Bold on Tmo. I will however pick up a Javelin from Tmo since I am due for an upgrade.... I am in no rush since the Bold is one fine device

Now that I have my Bold well sorted out, I'm very happy with it. The .210 update really made the difference. It's been fast, stable and 100% reliable since. I find the extra 6mm in width over the Curve to provide a large, comfortable, fast keyboard unlike I expected to experience. An additional benefit is the display also being larger than the Curve. At this point I am centering my entire BlackBerry experience around the Bold. Even though I have others, this one is the best of the bunch by a wide margin.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I on the other hand would definitely do the switch.
    I do not consider it a downgrade AT ALL.
    The higher RAM, more stable OS (well as Leonard mentioned the latest Bold builds are fantastic), better camera, smaller form factor, updated designs are what make me LOVE the Javelin.
    I do not use my Bold AT ALL anymore and alternate between the Javelin and the Storm.
    Dont take me wrong i still think the Bold is amazing, but if you like the shape/size/keyboard style of the Curve/Javelin GO FOR IT !

I would not considerate a downgrade if the Bold & 8900 were the same price and had the same features. Then it would simply be a personal preference issue. However when one is about to pay a substantial amount after paying the price for the flagship model, then the out of pocket expense does not make sense. However on the other hand money is meaningless and one prefers the cheaper model then it works. I think both models are quite good.

~via BB Bold (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    oh i see what you mean.
    Indeed spending more on the first one then having to spend more money on the second one is ridiculous but thats how it works for early adopters that want to resale their device and adopt another new one

Yes I agree with you, a good point I had overlooked. Mainly as coming from my (warped ) perspective as one who only BUYS BlackBerrys, and keeps them all...heh! As far as the difference between the Bold & 8900, it's truly personal preference as they each have what I see as equally good features that only vary by a very slight amount.
    That said, I must include the disclaimer that I am not thinking as clearly as I might, as I'm in shock that I have resisted a certain model that is waiting for my OK. Heh! Me invoke self restraint when it comes to new BlackBerrys?...Yikes!
    ~via BB Bold (wap.pinstack.com)~

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I decided to keep my Bold until the Jav comes out in February (hopefully). I can wait.

bajanbastard no está en línea Stack level 4
    If you're happy with your Bold keep it

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846
    Good call, I decided to spring for my Javelin early and I almost regret it, lol. Mine is a Tmobile Germany and although it moved fast, problems with the OS caused frequent hiccups and seriously affected battery life. The battery also went out on me in just over a week. Some new OS releases are out now, so when my battery comes tomorrow I'll have to test to see how many (if any) of its problems are fixed.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

The biggest change in RIM this year is their new willingness to push out very poorly built, unfinished new models.

The only reason I'm on Bold #6 is because I trusted them as I had in the past, and bought the new model when it was released. I was not expecting perfection or a totally bug free new model, I have too much experience with new tech devices and I know better. However it _used_ to be that one could buy a new BlackBerry at release and if there were faults or bugs they were minor, they did not render the device useless (as the first five Bolds I had) and one could get them sorted and up to speed without having this _ bad_ of an experience.

Here are examples:

1) Most everyone knows by now it took Six tries, with five faulty Bolds first, before getting a well made usable Bold. Not only that, Number 6 is 100% better, shockingly better than the rest.

2) I bought the first Storm... same result. A display that was nearly falling off, side buttons that would stick and not return. Returned it and got a second one... same thing. Since I was only on Bold number 4 and having a very frustrating time of it, I gave up on the Storm.

Fast forward to today:

1) I now have a Bold that is simply Stellar. The way the first one should have been. Why should one be penalized by embracing a new model and buying when first released after waiting nearly a year after RIM announced it?

2) I have a friend with an Excellent Storm... why? Again because he just bought it and because it's not an early production unit it's fine.

Where is RIM's quality control? Why would they let such disastrous phones be sold?
    What would the first time customer think if they got a grossly poor Bold(s) or Storm(s) like I did?

So at the end of the day, not only did I pay heavily for being a loyal RIM customer, I've learned that one must avoid anything built by them for at least a month. Thus while I would love to get an 8900 to enjoy, I'm not about to buy another BlackBerry until they get there act together.

There are far too many other smartphones out there that do not deliver bad handsets (hardware) from the get go. I have over 58 phones in my collection that I purchase in 2008 alone and not one time did I have an experience like I've just had with the Bold's and Storms.... think about that! What a disappointment to have RIM go from the top of my list in reliability and quality to the bottom. Interesting indeed.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    The biggest change in RIM this year is their new willingness to push out very poorly built, unfinished new models.

The only reason I'm on Bold #6 is because I trusted them as I had in the past, and bought the new model when it was released. I was not expecting perfection or a totally bug free new model, I have too much experience with new tech devices and I know better. However it _used_ to be that one could buy a new BlackBerry at release and if there were faults or bugs they were minor, they did not render the device useless (as the first five Bolds I had) and one could get them sorted and up to speed without having this _ bad_ of an experience.

Here are examples:

1) Most everyone knows by now it took Six tries, with five faulty Bolds first, before getting a well made usable Bold. Not only that, Number 6 is 100% better, shockingly better than the rest.

2) I bought the first Storm... same result. A display that was nearly falling off, side buttons that would stick and not return. Returned it and got a second one... same thing. Since I was only on Bold number 4 and having a very frustrating time of it, I gave up on the Storm.

Fast forward to today:

1) I now have a Bold that is simply Stellar. The way the first one should have been. Why should one be penalized by embracing a new model and buying when first released after waiting nearly a year after RIM announced it?

2) I have a friend with an Excellent Storm... why? Again because he just bought it and because it's not an early production unit it's fine.

Where is RIM's quality control? Why would they let such disastrous phones be sold?
    What would the first time customer think if they got a grossly poor Bold(s) or Storm(s) like I did?

So at the end of the day, not only did I pay heavily for being a loyal RIM customer, I've learned that one must avoid anything built by them for at least a month. Thus while I would love to get an 8900 to enjoy, I'm not about to buy another BlackBerry until they get there act together.

There are far too many other smartphones out there that do not deliver bad handsets (hardware) from the get go. I have over 58 phones in my collection that I purchase in 2008 alone and not one time did I have an experience like I've just had with the Bold's and Storms.... think about that! What a disappointment to have RIM go from the top of my list in reliability and quality to the bottom. Interesting indeed.

While i must 100% agree with you Leonard, I have to say I purchased one of the FIRST bolds in Canada from the FIRST early limited shipment and it has been STELLAR.
    Also, EVERY SINGLE Javelin i have touched has been fantastic as well.
    Onto my Storm experiences, my first one was I will say kinda like the first Bold youve experienced, okay but DEFINITELY full of defects.
    Fast forward to my second storm - it is simply PERFECT.

So again while i agree with you, some of the units have been great from the start.

Now I do understand what you mean and again i agree, ALL THE UNITS SHOULD BE FINE FROM THE START

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast