heylo A friend of mine has a blackberry 8900 which has an internal wifi card. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

stronghold no está en línea Stack level 1

Blackberry WiFi

Advertisement

heylo
    A friend of mine has a blackberry 8900 which has an internal wifi card. However it wont let her online on our office network unless she purchases the data plan that goes with. Is there a way we can unlock it so she can get online on wifi networks?

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Wifi is free and does not require a data package to use. There is no unlocking needed to use it. It may be that your office has their wifi WEP protected and she would need the WEP key code to use it.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16
    Last edited by pdxmatts; 02-15-2010 at 09:03 PM.

stronghold no está en línea Stack level 1
    Fixed it. Had all the right encryption in, but the default browser wasn't working with it. So, I downloaded opera to it and badabing, it works like a champ. Now does anyone know of an IM app like ebuddy that would work with it?

fatboy97 no está en línea Stack level 3
    You can use your Blackberry Browser... open Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Connection Preference: Wi-Fi Only.

pkcable no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask via
    Right Opera should work, and the BB browser MIGHT work (or might not) if you use it in hotspot mode. Opera is probably your best bet. Streaming apps will probably would too. Anything that uses a RIM server connection probably won't work, unless of course she gets a data package from her carrier.

EDIT: Apps would have to be installed via a PC also as OTA installs require data, as you probably know or already found out.
    Rich C.
    Twitter me @ http://twitter.com/pkcable

Reinstall Your OS on a Bricked BB Click here

frisco49ers no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2840D481
    got a problem with wifi, different than this, can connect to the internet via wifi but IM will not work,
    Anyone have any ideas

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Sorry for being a week late on the response, but you'll need to configure whatever IM app you're using to use Wi-Fi only. If possible, set it to Direct TCP and it'll take whatever data connection it finds. Otherwise it's looking for a data connection from your carrier.

camshafter no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    "palringo" will work as a IM app with just wifi i have a pay as you go SIM in my 8320 with wifi and works like a champ but i have to be connected to wifi
    good luck, oh and its free