Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Since AT&T is one of the few companies that doesn't offer insurance for their phones, ... BlackBerry Curve forum

reyes421 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2448519C

Blackberry Insurance with AT&T

Advertisement

Since AT&T is one of the few companies that doesn't offer insurance for their phones, I was wondering what everyone was doing as an alternative. I was told that a lot of people were covering it under their Home Owners Insurance. Which sucks, because since I don't have insurance I am super paranoid with my phone.

:cry:

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    Not sure how/why anyone would cover under Homeowners. Most policies have a $500 deductible, which is the cost to buy one without a contract in most cases.

But you should check out AT&T again, they just recently started offering insurance on some of the BB models IIRC. I don't think the 8310 is one of them yet.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

nichole no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Yes they do

I am a bbpearl user and also w/ AT&T and I have insurance on my device. Call customer care again and ask. 1-800-331-0500

PIN/ID
    2448519C
    That's what they told me. I don't understand it, but the 8310 is the only phone that AT&T doesn't offer insurance for.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

The insurance isn't worth it for me. I take care my phones extremely well.

My logic is that if you're paying like $5 per billing cycle and on top of that they are going to charge you probably $100-150 deductable. You're better off just putting $5 in savings everytime and if anything happens to your phone buy a new one.

That's just my logic. Others may have a different opinion though

PIN/ID
    2448519C
    Quote Originally Posted by nichole View Post
    I am a bbpearl user and also w/ AT&T and I have insurance on my device. Call customer care again and ask. 1-800-331-0500
    I called them up and the 8300 series hasn't been added to "The List." Why, is beyond me. But hopefully soon they add it. Does anyone know the reasoning for them not to add certain phones to these "lists?"
    Last edited by reyes421; 03-17-2008 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Answered....

PIN/ID
    2448519C
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post

The insurance isn't worth it for me. I take care my phones extremely well.

My logic is that if you're paying like $5 per billing cycle and on top of that they are going to charge you probably $100-150 deductable. You're better off just putting $5 in savings everytime and if anything happens to your phone buy a new one.

That's just my logic. Others may have a different opinion though
    Touche.

wxboss no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    21DA38F3
    I understand the logic for not getting insurance, but accidents do happen.

What if you accidentally drop/break your device just 45 days after you got it? Those few bucks you've saved won't amount to the price it would take to replace it.

Just playing the devil's advocate here

PIN/ID
    2448519C
    Quote Originally Posted by wxboss View Post

What if you accidentally drop/break your device just 45 days after you got it? Those few bucks you've saved won't amount to the price it would take to replace it.

I'd rather pay the $100-$150 deductible than to buy a new one outright. Plus I'm horrible when it comes to saving money. My wife takes care of all of our finances for that reason.

PIN/ID
    STACK

Doesn't matter since AT&T doesn't offer it you still out of luck. Unless its a device they will cover.

There is a manufacturer warranty for 1 year for all BBs. If its defective then you can always get it replaced. If its by your own accord that you break the device then that's you fault. Nothing really you can do.

As for my experience insurance is not for me. If you need insurance then, 3rd party places work. I do understand that many people like it due to the work (construction)that they do or just like the peace of mind.

As for AT&T not offering insurance for newer smart phones its just all about the profit margin. Being on the forums everyday I see so many people returning phones when its easily fixed via the customer. Rates for insurance would be through the roof and that's not counting the dishonest people claiming insurance due to their own actions of breaking the phone. Ok I'm done with my rant. sorry

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    Quote Originally Posted by reyes421 View Post
    I called them up and the 8300 series hasn't been added to "The List." Why, is beyond me. But hopefully soon they add it. Does anyone know the reasoning for them not to add certain phones to these "lists?"
    This answer may be more urban myth or cynical observer than actual fact, but I think this is AT&T's response to the Razr craze a few years ago. "New" phones used to be eligible for insurance, until the Razrs started receiving tons of "lost/broken/stolen" claims. Then there were magically millions of them selling on Ebay as NIB. Once they stopped insuring them, the abuses stopped. So most new/high dollar phones are not eligible when they're initially released.

Quote Originally Posted by wxboss View Post

The definition of insurance.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

nova609 no está en línea Stack level 3
    i just signed up on safeguard (www.atlantictechnologygroup.com) and when I called the company to get some additional info, after about three rings an actual human answered the phone, and without transfering me, answered all my questions! Now I haven't had to use it yet (knock on wood) but if I do, I already paid for a year (5.99/mo) and my deductible on my 8300 will be $69...seems like a pretty good deal to me......

munkee no está en línea Stack level 2
    I made a topic about this once and somebody gave a website for a 3rd party insurance that wasn't all that bad. I will search for it when I get home and post it here

PIN/ID
    STACK
    Quote Originally Posted by nova609 View Post
    i just signed up on safeguard (www.atlantictechnologygroup.com) and when I called the company to get some additional info, after about three rings an actual human answered the phone, and without transfering me, answered all my questions! Now I haven't had to use it yet (knock on wood) but if I do, I already paid for a year (5.99/mo) and my deductible on my 8300 will be $69...seems like a pretty good deal to me......
    Sweet thanks nova

PIN/ID
    2448519C
    Ill make sure to check out that SafeGuard later today at work. Thanks Nova.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast