Hello, I've been trying to get the Blackberry Desktop Manager V4.2 SP2 to run correctly ... BlackBerry Curve forum

jetsetter no está en línea Stack level 3

Blackberry Desktop Manager Doesn't Work On My Windows Vista Installation

Advertisement

Hello,
    I've been trying to get the Blackberry Desktop Manager V4.2 SP2 to run correctly on Vista and can not seem to do it. I've been using this download:https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

What happens is after the install (which takes an extroardinarily long time) and a reboot I run the program and the icon window is displayed for about half a second and then it closes automatically. There is no error message. If I try running it again it does the same thing, appears and dissappears.

It is very fraustrating, I did a full uninstall and reinstall with all a couple of reboots to make sure things were fresh.

I tried the software works on my XP SP2 installation at work. Has anyone else seen this behavior under Vista? Feel free to post other problems you're having with BB Desktop under Vista here too.

Re: Blackberry Desktop Manager Doesn't Work On My Windows Vista Installation

Note: I did some searching and it is the exact problem explained here. It is also explained here.

If anyone here has seen this or knows how to fix it please post.

Agh. I found a resolution for this. I don't have time to try this tonight but will give it a go tomorrow:

BlackBerry Desktop Manager closes unexpectedly when running on Microsoft Windows Vista

Problem
    After opening the BlackBerry Desktop Manager running on Microsoft Windows Vista, it abruptly closes. The BlackBerry® Device Manager is also unable to open.

Cause
    1. The BlackBerry Desktop Manager software is corrupted
    2. The RIMDeviceManagerps.dll file is incorrectly registered in Microsoft Windows
    3. Incorrect access permissions on the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RIMDeviceManager.DeviceManager key

Resolution
    Cause 1
    The BlackBerry Desktop Manager software is corrupted.
    Resolution
    1. Perform a clean uninstall of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software. For instructions, see KB02206.
    2. Restart the computer.
    3. Launch the BlackBerry Desktop Manager Setup 4.2.1 or later as Administrator. To do this, right click the setup file, and select Run as Administrator.
    4. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the setup.
    OR
    1. On the computer, click Start > Settings > Control Panel > User Accounts.
    2. Turn on User Account Control.
    3. Restart the computer.

Cause 2
    The RIMDeviceManagerps.dll file is incorrectly registered in Microsoft Windows.
    Resolution
    1. On the computer, click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
    2. Right click Command Prompt, and then select Run as Administrator.
    3. In the Command Prompt, type cd "\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\RIMDeviceManager".
    4. Press ENTER.
    5. Type regsvr32 RIMDeviceManagerps.dll
    6. Press ENTER.
    7. Click OK in the popup window.

Cause 3
    Incorrect access permissions are set for the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RIMDeviceManager.DeviceManager key.
    Resolution 3
    Ensure that you have Read access to the following registry keys:
    • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RIMDeviceManager.DeviceManager
    • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RIMDeviceManager.DeviceManager\C LSID
    • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RIMDeviceManager.DeviceManager\C urVer
    • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RIMDeviceManager.DeviceManager.1
    • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RIMDeviceManager.DeviceManager.1 \CLSI

Internal Notes
    1) Click on the Start button and type the following in the search box:
    regedit
    2) Right click on the application that is found and select "Run as administrator"
    3) Expand the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT branch
    4) Navigate to RIMDeviceManager.DeviceManager
    5) Right click on the key name and select permissions from the menu.
    6) Click OK to the prompt about not being able to display permissions.
    7) Click on the Advanced button.
    8) Click OK to the prompt about not being able to display permissions.
    9) Go to the Owner tab.
    10) Highlight your username and click OK.
    11) Click OK to the Permissions window.
    12) Right click the key name again and select permissions.
    13) Highlight the user with "Owner" in the name.
    14) In the bottom, ensure there is a check mark in the allow column for Full Control.
    15) Click OK.
    16) Press F5 (or use View > Refresh from the menu)
    17) Repeat steps 5 to 17 for the following keys:

johnnywhojr no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    206B9510

FYI...I am also using Vista Basic and seem to have no troubles at all. I basically removed the version that came with the Pearl and then reinstalled the version that came with the Curve. The only problem that I incurred was something to do with the app loader. But nothing to the extent your having.
    JohhnyWhoJr

"Proud owner of the 8110"

damageinc no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23fca7de

i just downloaded the latest version to my new vista premium laptop and it will not sync .It just says a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. PLEASE HELP

SpiderIce no está en línea Stack level 1
    That is because you are using a user account that has just user rights and not admin rights. I have yet to find a fix for this.

BigPoppa no está en línea Stack level 2
    Hi

Can you not right click on the DM icon and select Run As Administrator?
    Not sure though as its working perfectly on my laptop running Vista Premium.

Regards

Wasim

BERRYCURVE no está en línea Stack level 5
    I also have Windows Vista on my Laptop and I've never had an issue so far, works fine just as it does on my desktop with Windows XP

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4
    use dm 4.3. 4.2 does not work on vista.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderIce View Post
    That is because you are using a user account that has just user rights and not admin rights. I have yet to find a fix for this.

I'm running BB Desktop Manager in Vista as a limited user, not Admin, and it works just fine.

(It's a good idea NOT to have processes run under Admin accounts unless necessary... and in Vista it seldom is; mosty of the time if something needs Admin rights it will ask for them. The dreaded UAC popup is really your friend .

In particular, surfing the net with an Admin account -- the way most "Home" versions of Windows come, Vista or previous ones -- amounts to asking for it. )

Make sure you have up-to-date BB Desktop and Drivers software, and do a clean install. That should make use of regsvr32 unnecessary...even though such re-registering of DLLs doesn't do any harm either.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    My best advice to you is to downgrade to windows xp. Vista is "the" most annoying OS out there. Most computters nowadays come with this crappola. People should know better. If your pc comes with only gb of ram; that's only the least of ram needed to run vista. Xp is by far the best OS. Microsoft needs to stop trying to copy macs and just merge if they're so desperate to look like them. Vista=non-working leopard OS

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4
    wow....nut hug apple much?

lol i always love the "vista sucks" comments. why does vista suck? because it wants 1gb of ram to run, which is STANDARD on pc's now? because it's a large program, which it can be due to the larger STANDARD increased size of hdds? because it takes a faster processor, which are STANDARD now? hum....so vista is designed to take advantage of the standards in the pc world today....how dare they do such a thing!

and fyi - you can run vista on a 528mb, it just turns off some of the more advanced and resource hungry applications (like movie backgrounds and such).

vista doesn't suck, just the people that don't know how to use it do. everyone freaks out when a new os came out. people did this when xp came out too, everyone said how horrible it was and they never should have changed 2000, it was sooooooo much better. look at how attitudes changed.....

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    The problem is that it sucks because there are so many programs and/or software you cannot add to it. People always complain why vista won't recognize this and that. That's the main reason; yes, sure it might be a good OS but the thing is that if it had so many bugs to fix why release it? Would you buy a blackberry chipped out that turns on and off by itself; crash every 2 mins?

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quote Originally Posted by psi chick View Post
    wow....nut hug apple much?

lol i always love the "vista sucks" comments. why does vista suck? because it wants 1gb of ram to run, which is STANDARD on pc's now? because it's a large program, which it can be due to the larger STANDARD increased size of hdds? because it takes a faster processor, which are STANDARD now? hum....so vista is designed to take advantage of the standards in the pc world today....how dare they do such a thing!

and fyi - you can run vista on a 528mb, it just turns off some of the more advanced and resource hungry applications (like movie backgrounds and such).

vista doesn't suck, just the people that don't know how to use it do. everyone freaks out when a new os came out. people did this when xp came out too, everyone said how horrible it was and they never should have changed 2000, it was sooooooo much better. look at how attitudes changed.....

It sucks -- because it does what Windows do in general, only more so:

it TIES UP a huge amount of resources for what is ultimately housekeeping and not payload: GUIs and so on

it was never designed with security in mind, and it will never be reasonably secure -- even though Vista has made some progress (with tradeoffs though)

it fosters use of bloatware such as MS Office , Windows Media Player...

it has Internet Explorer :cry:

I have used, and worked/work and service, ALL operating systems of the last 10-15 years, on PCs and non-PCs. The best OS for PCs is Linux -- hands down. Next comes Mac OS -- even though it comes from a "fascist regime"... and Windows is a distant third.

Peopled use Windows? Great -- that's why I will always have a job helping them out of the messes they get into