Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've been looking into the battery life of the Bold and up until now I've ... BlackBerry Curve forum

chithanh119 no está en línea Stack level 1

Blackberry Curve 8900 Battery Life

Advertisement

I've been looking into the battery life of the Bold and up until now I've put its lesser battery life (in comparison to the current Curve 83xx) down to bigger and better hardware.

That seems valid enough to me, also the 3G/2G handover has been known to drain the battery. Seeing as the 8900 will not have the 3G handover to contend with I was assuming the battery life would be phenomenally better, as this is pretty much a deal breaker for me.

I was then told by a T-Mobile sales rep that it isn't necessarily the 3G/2G handover or the 3G module itself that sucks the battery, its more the high resolution screens that these new BlackBerrys have; 480 x 320 and 480 x 360. If this is the case then the 8900 may indeed suffer from similar battery life woes as the Bold.

KriK no está en línea Stack level 3
    The rep you spoke to is not entirely incorrect. The screen res will affect battery life but 3G uses a lot more battery life than 2G without a doubt.

Advantage Bold on this one though... Because you can set your Bold to 2G only in the Network Settings (assuming your network supports it).

Rizzleman716 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21C680E5
    Yeah both these phones will be great competition. I believe the battery life on the Javelin will be a lot better just because of 2G, and it won't kill the life so fast. But we will never know because the Javelin isn't here yet
    T-Mobile Pearl 8100>T-Mobile Curve 8320>T-Mobile Curve 8900>T-Mobile Bold 8900

wyy183 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    FWIW, battery capacity on devices (mAHr):

Pearl - 900
    Flip - 900
    Curve - 1100
    8900 - 1400
    Storm - 1400
    Bold - 1500

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by chithanh119 View Post
    I've been looking into the battery life of the Bold and up until now I've put its lesser battery life (in comparison to the current Curve 83xx) down to bigger and better hardware.
    I have both a new Bold and a Curve 8310. The battery life is very similiar. People who report short battery life may be having other issues, as I use mine 15 hours per day, 100's of email messages, SMS, Outlook work, web browsing etc and I'm more than surprised and happy with the battery life on the Bold. Plus I'm on AT&T, and their Bold does not offer the user the option of keeping the phone in the 2G mode. Mine is always on 3G, as I live in a strong 3G area.

That said I would imagine the battery life on the 8900 to be quite good as well, but not as significantly longer than many would have you believe.

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    I have to agree with Archer6, if you are having battery issues with your Bold, you have others problems, like poor copverage or software, running in the background.

My Bold runs all day with no problems!
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

pruim no está en línea Stack level 1

bad battery life on 8900 can be caused by the pouch holster, really!

Hi all,

For those of us that have problems with their battery life and have done tests that prove the pouch causes the issues, please visit:

(I am not allowed to past URL's, so please use the chopped-up URL below)

h t t p : / / supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8900&thread.id=674

I started a thread on the official blackberry forum to get people together with the same problem. please post you experiences and if more and more people have the same problem, we'll get in touch with RIM.

thanks!

CanyTech no está en línea Stack level 1

Curve 8900 doesn't sleep in its holster

I think pruim's right. My BB Curve 8900 definitely doesn't sleep in its holster. I also found it completely dead this morning after I left it plugged into my PC which I'd switched off, but maybe I switched the PC off before Windows Mobile finished syncing music to it so let's not hold that against BB yet!

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    When it comes down to the 8900, check your pouch and holster as it has been mentioned and like the Bold or Curve etc.., if you live in a good coverage area the phone wont have to constantly be looking for network and therefore itll be smooth sailing just like Archer's Bold and mine as well

Osprey no está en línea Stack level 2
    Folks - there is obvious proof that some 8900s, especially in use with the standard supplied pouch, are experiencing severe battery drain. I have already posted my experiences on this and other forums.

I urge all those affected to email RIM directly and/or their networks, so that we might get a solution:

bbsuggestions@rim.com

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    I upgraded to .133 right out of the box and have had great battery life. I read poor reviews on the OEM version that is being sent out so I didn't give a chance to test it.

On .133 I have bright screen settings (my ninja eyes aren't what they used to be), have poor reception all day (I work near the water in a high rise and tmo receptionist is iffy in the building so phone is constantly searching) so I leave it unpouched on my work desk while I'm there (and use it throughout the day *mainly bbm/emails/chess*) and play media (tv eps & mixtapes) on my hr commute (each way). By late evening when I get home I have 1 small piece of bar left. I honestly am pleased with my results so far. I'm sorry to hear other stackers aren't experiencing the same.

Osprey no está en línea Stack level 2
    Any probs at all with .133 Black Ninja ?

esjones no está en línea Stack level 2
    I'm having battery issues, too (T-Mo) and wonder if RIM is addressing the pouch issue yet. My Curve is less than 2 weeks old and the battery life really stinks! It spends most of its time in the pouch. I'm not a real heavy user.

Any comments? This seems like too big of a deal for RIM to just ignore it.

- Earl

Quote Originally Posted by pruim View Post
    Hi all,

For those of us that have problems with their battery life and have done tests that prove the pouch causes the issues, please visit:

(I am not allowed to past URL's, so please use the chopped-up URL below)

h t t p : / / supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8900&thread.id=674

I started a thread on the official blackberry forum to get people together with the same problem. please post you experiences and if more and more people have the same problem, we'll get in touch with RIM.

thanks!

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I have had great battery life on my 8900 and I use it quite a bit. There are a few universal rules that will help a lot with this, like actually shutting apps down using their 'close' or 'exit' feature and turning off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi when you don't need them. Also, the stock OS from T-Mo wasn't the best for battery life. Their new version .231 seems to be great.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

esjones no está en línea Stack level 2

Please define "great"

How heavily do you use your BB? How often do you recharge, and how many bars of battery do you have left when you recharge? How many hours of standby do you get? I'd like to know how my experience compares to others. I have the .231 software on my Curve, too.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    I have had great battery life on my 8900 and I use it quite a bit. There are a few universal rules that will help a lot with this, like actually shutting apps down using their 'close' or 'exit' feature and turning off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi when you don't need them. Also, the stock OS from T-Mo wasn't the best for battery life. Their new version .231 seems to be great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast