Hello you wonderful forum members! I posted about my problems in this sticky thread up ... BlackBerry Curve forum

alienx no está en línea Stack level 2

Blackberry Curve 8320 never locked to any network - crazy Wi-Fi problems

Advertisement

Hello you wonderful forum members!

I posted about my problems in this sticky thread up there, but since no one responded I'm thinking maybe no one is looking at that thread any more...

Anyway, here is a link for two posts I made in hope I will get some help. I am simply in love with my new 8320, but these Wi-Fi problems are slowly killing me.

I posted all details in here, and I really hope I am not bugging anyone and someone will finally be able to help me get my Wi-Fi to work. I tried everything mentioned in this forum (Backed up my data, Wiped Handheld, restored my data without restoring Service Books, I even tried installing new version of the BB OS) and I still can't get it to work.

Please, please can someone at least try to lead me through configuration if there are some additional hidden settings I may have to configure ?

All information about my current OS and my phone are in this thread, so I hope someone will be able to assist me.

Here is the link:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...d=1#post818598

Thanks in advance and have a wonderful rest of the day.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I am on Prepaid FIDO (Canada), no data plans. I was hoping I will be able to use Wi-Fi from time to time for simple tasks like checking my gmail through browser (internet), surfing some pages etc.
    Last edited by alienx; 07-23-2008 at 08:54 AM. Reason: - adding some information

Wow, 70+ views and no replies... am I doomed together with my 8320 ? Truly hope not and I really hope there is a solution for my problem... :cry:
    Last edited by alienx; 07-23-2008 at 08:55 AM. Reason: wrong smilie

Any 8320 Wi-Fi expert out there?

daveyboi no está en línea Stack level 3
    u check ypur tcp setting?
    options/advanced options/tcp

setup your apn. I am assuming you are using TMob

APN:wap.voicestream.com
    username: "leave blank"
    password: "leave blank"
    Proud owner of a 8700g and a 8320

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27
    no he's on prepaid FIDO in canada...have you tried calling your CS to see if they can help?

Hey guys, thanks for your replies, I appreciate you're trying to help.

Yes, I magellan0547 is right. I am on Prepaid FIDO service here in Canada. No data plans nothing. I was just hoping that I would be able to browse the net using Wi-Fi sometimes and of course without signing for some nasty contract (cell phone data plan contracts in Canada are everything but affordable).

FIDO tech support was everything but helpful and that's kind of understandable because they have no obligation to help me since I am not data-plan customer.

However, I found out that TCP information for FIDO are:

APN: internet.fido.ca
    username: fido
    password: fido

As mentioned in here:
    http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/20840-1.html

They also mentioned this:

APN: wap.fido.ca -> use for wap over GPRS
    APN: internet.fido.ca -> use for GPRS to a notebook computer

I am not quite familiar with all this, to tell the truth I wasn't even aware I have to set anything in order to get Wi-Fi working, but apparently it looks like I do have to do some configuring.

However, none of these two options helps, my Wi-Fi icon is still up there on my phone's screen, and it's showing my network, but when I check it through Network Diagnostics, it still says "IP Address no longer available".

stevemedes no está en línea Stack level 1
    When I first got my 8320 I didn't have a data plan, and o couldn't use my wifi just like you. But once I got a data plan and enabled wifi I was able to use my wifi connection. Weird, I heard some ppl tried activating, then cancelling a data plan to get wifi to work.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemedes View Post
    When I first got my 8320 I didn't have a data plan, and o couldn't use my wifi just like you. But once I got a data plan and enabled wifi I was able to use my wifi connection. Weird, I heard some ppl tried activating, then cancelling a data plan to get wifi to work.
    Hey Steve,

Thanks for your input. Yes, that's exactly what I've heard too. I am starting to think that there is no way you can use WiFi if you are not using some data plan, or at least data plan was a part of that phone's life at some point in the past, so service books were updated with some necessary info or something.

I am seriously thinking to get myself some nice data plan, it's just this whole situation with data plans and crooked cell phone providers in Canada is making everything a lot more difficult.

Is there anyone from Canada in here to maybe provide some useful info on some basic data plan that's worth buying? All I basically need is to be able to access my gmail account and possibly my other private email account, use maps from time to time and maybe ocationaly browse the net.

Thanks again!

Finally!!!

Got it working, just had to enable Data Services option inside the Manage Connections / Mobile Network Options. Didn't even have to sign up/out of any data plan offered by my cell phone carrier.

I thought this option has to do something with the fact if you have data plan or not, but I don't have it and enabling this thing immediately makes my WiFi working like a charm.

I am on prepaid FIDO service (Canada) and I just checked the status of my account, after half of hour browsing and checking my gmail through webaccess, not a single cent came off of my account. WiFi works perfectly fine.