Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Yeah 3G never impressed me on a Blackberry so far be it the Bold or ... BlackBerry Curve forum

PIN/ID
    AskMe

Advertisement

Yeah 3G never impressed me on a Blackberry so far be it the Bold or a Storm on the 3G CDMA network.
    The compression used in the BB servers makes EDGE just ridiculously fast - speed tests on the 8220 come up as " 70 times faster than EDGE".
    The 8900 as well as the 8220 have even faster EDGE than the 8310 believe it or not i know its the same technology on the same towers but they are faster. (i will try and make a side by side comparison when i get my 8900).

k0pper no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Yeah 3G never impressed me on a Blackberry so far be it the Bold or a Storm on the 3G CDMA network.
    The compression used in the BB servers makes EDGE just ridiculously fast - speed tests on the 8220 come up as " 70 times faster than EDGE".
    The 8900 as well as the 8220 have even faster EDGE than the 8310 believe it or not i know its the same technology on the same towers but they are faster. (i will try and make a side by side comparison when i get my 8900).
    I think rim has always done a great job making a little go a long way (edge). Their server side compression is currently unbeatable. I'm on tmobile and had an unlocked iphone for a while (I know shame on me) and I switches back bc that thing NEEDED 3G to do just about everything. I was able to find information much more quickly on my curve than I was on the iphone. Personally ill stick with my $20 tmobile edge data plan and am very much looking forward to the 8900

furtive no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7a47e9f3
    The 8900 won't be out on T-Mobile until "Early February," sayeth my sales rep.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Very Well Said !

I could not agree more. For some particular reason RIM has not focused on this as they should have (and I'm not being critical, it is what it is). After eagerly awaiting a 3G powered BlackBerry, I can now say based on the performance of several Bolds I've owned, that 3G as implemented by RIM is mediocre at best. And it's certainly not worth focusing on as a potential deal breaker.

As ranxoren has so aptly put it, EDGE is well optimized by RIM and as such does a great job of delivering data. Whereas at one time I felt very strongly that the distinct advantage of a Bold over an 8900 Curve was 3G, I no longer feel that way. And although I'm very happy with my present Bold, to those of you who are focused on an 8900 Curve, I just know that you will truly love it 3G or not.

snipes mcgee no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by furtive View Post
    The 8900 won't be out on T-Mobile until "Early February," sayeth my sales rep.
    Two things that always lie to you.

Makeup and Sales reps.
    I have a BlackBerry and a WhiteApple. :)

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Very Well Said !

I could not agree more. For some particular reason RIM has not focused on this as they should have (and I'm not being critical, it is what it is). After eagerly awaiting a 3G powered BlackBerry, I can now say based on the performance of several Bolds I've owned, that 3G as implemented by RIM is mediocre at best. And it's certainly not worth focusing on as a potential deal breaker.

As ranxoren has so aptly put it, EDGE is well optimized by RIM and as such does a great job of delivering data. Whereas at one time I felt very strongly that the distinct advantage of a Bold over an 8900 Curve was 3G, I no longer feel that way. And although I'm very happy with my present Bold, to those of you who are focused on an 8900 Curve, I just know that you will truly love it 3G or not.
    Thank you for the backup.
    I just made another test yesterday, an unlocked storm on the EDGE Rogers network vs a Rogers 3G Bold.
    EDGE ended up beating 3G by a couple seconds EVERYTIME.
    Believe it or not... RIM has a way to go when it comes to 3G.
    ANY OTHER 3G smartphones kills blackberrys on Edge but not a 3G blackberry.
    Not just yet.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I'm still gonna wait for the 3g Curve!

Maybe.

LOL!

Itchy trigger finger, ya know!

furtive no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7a47e9f3
    Quote Originally Posted by snipes mcgee View Post
    Two things that always lie to you.

Makeup and Sales reps.
    Considering my sales rep got me my 8820 two weeks before it hit everyone else on here, I'll take his word on it.

Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    I'm still gonna wait for the 3g Curve!
    First of all, I've been meaning to tell you that your new Avatar is really great! Puts a smile on my face every time I see it.

3G vs EDGE BlackBerry Style:

RoGro... I really think you would be happy either way. If your eager to get a new Curve, I would just buy one, then when the 3G version is released give them 30~60 days, and then buy one.

Personally I believe the RIM will improve 3G in the coming releases and therefore the speed of the 8900 w/3G should be quite good. But I would not wait for it, only because you could be waiting up to a year.

That's my 2 cents...

Rizzleman716 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21C680E5
    I have never had a 3G device, and it has never made too much of a difference to me. The speed on my BB was fast enough to get by. It wasn't anything I complained about. But thats okay. I can't wait for this new Javelin.. On T-Mobile that is!!
    T-Mobile Pearl 8100>T-Mobile Curve 8320>T-Mobile Curve 8900>T-Mobile Bold 8900

thestewside no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256C11B1
    I am hoping that it comes to T-Mobile sooner then later. I will be very upset if it is not out until Feb 09. I am praying for a release before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by thestewside View Post
    I am hoping that it comes to T-Mobile sooner then later. I will be very upset if it is not out until Feb 09. I am praying for a release before Christmas.
    I'm with you, it would certainly be nice to see it before years end. However that said it's not looking good. Why each and every release from RIM has been so late this past year is something that is hurting their sales. There is so much pent up demand, especially for the Curve 8900, that RIM is missing a massive opportunity to sell thousands of these during the holiday selling season that is now well underway.

In the mean time Apple is sitting back and watching their revenue stream continue to flow with incoming cash. Between the popularity of the iPhone and proper supplies, they are set and reaping the rewards of being prepared. It's no wonder they are taking over so much market share.

RIM has only itself to blame...

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    First of all, I've been meaning to tell you that your new Avatar is really great! Puts a smile on my face every time I see it.

3G vs EDGE BlackBerry Style:

RoGro... I really think you would be happy either way. If your eager to get a new Curve, I would just buy one, then when the 3G version is released give them 30~60 days, and then buy one.

Personally I believe the RIM will improve 3G in the coming releases and therefore the speed of the 8900 w/3G should be quite good. But I would not wait for it, only because you could be waiting up to a year.

That's my 2 cents...
    It's an animated .gif that's not working for some reason, but thanks! I love Calvin!

As I said earlier, I have an itchy trigger finger, so chances are pretty good I'll end up with an 8900 soon after it's released!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345