Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

How else do you expect them to make any money?... BlackBerry Curve forum

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4

Advertisement

How else do you expect them to make any money?

k0pper no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Speaking from first hand experience with the Bold on AT&T and my Curve 8320 on T-Mobile, I can say that the speed difference with 3G is very minimal, and not worth changing carriers. It's important to note, that it's only with the BB platform, as my other 3G phones on AT&T are a lot faster. I'm sure that RIM will address this sometime in then next year or so, as they do tend to be very slow to embrace change. So for now, I would not be too disappointed in T-Mobile. Your low priced BB plan is quite valuable, and switching carriers is a hassle and expensive. Perhaps a year from now it might be worth it, but I cannot endorse it at this point. Not for a BlackBerry anyway.
    Doesn't BB have server side compression through their service? I was always under the impression this was the case. If so then that explains why there is little difference from 3g and Edge on BB devices. If a webpage is already compressed to a couple of kb then it wont load that much faster on 3g than Edge. Think of a tiny pin. It will slide through a 1" pipe or a 6" pipe at the same speed. The difference is when you try to shove a 3" pole through the same pipes (like say a youtube video). The larger pipe is definately going to accomodate this bigger chunk of data.

Sorry if my analogy isnt clear lol, but it made sense to me (at least as I'm writing this).
    8300 running 4.5.0.81 on T-Mo

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by k0pper View Post
    Doesn't BB have server side compression through their service? I was always under the impression this was the case. If so then that explains why there is little difference from 3g and Edge on BB devices. If a webpage is already compressed to a couple of kb then it wont load that much faster on 3g than Edge. Think of a tiny pin. It will slide through a 1" pipe or a 6" pipe at the same speed. The difference is when you try to shove a 3" pole through the same pipes (like say a youtube video). The larger pipe is definately going to accomodate this bigger chunk of data.

Sorry if my analogy isnt clear lol, but it made sense to me (at least as I'm writing this).
    I understand exactly what your talking about. However, as we know there is a difference between specs and real world performance. What I'm reporting is that if I take two of my 3G phones, both on AT&T and put them side by side and launch the same web page, the BlackBerry is definitely slower than the BlackJack for example.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I understand exactly what your talking about. However, as we know there is a difference between specs and real world performance. What I'm reporting is that if I take two of my 3G phones, both on AT&T and put them side by side and launch the same web page, the BlackBerry is definitely slower than the BlackJack for example.
    I think that has more to do with the different operating system. No?

eburganjr no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    245F43BB
    Personally, I'll take my reliable EDGE/WiFi (UMA) Combo over 3G any day. I don't usually use the internet a lot when I'm out and about and when I do EDGE is more than fast enough for what I use it for. I just want this phone to come out on T-Mo!!!!

beamolite no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23F73F86
    Quote Originally Posted by KaraBear View Post
    It was looking like December Archer, but it may have changed to April/May '09.

Theres no saying AT&T sells the most BlackBerry's, they do, it's fact. Second, AT&T didn't want the Pearl Flip. Second, the Bold was made especially for AT&T, the Storm was always meant to go to Vodafone and Verizon. AT&T will get it's own version. But surely AT&T wouldn't want the overlap of the Bold and Storm within 2 months of each other? Bad business.
    Why would AT & T want the Storm? It would be a direct competitor with the Iphone.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by beamolite View Post
    Why would AT & T want the Storm? It would be a direct competitor with the Iphone.
    Because it is the first touchscreen Blackberry.

HeavyComponent no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    TP2 :D
    Yeah Karabear knows her stuff since her husband (JasonHDD) knows his stuff.

---
    T-Mobile Curve 8320 - 4.5.0.102 BETA
    T-Mobile Pearl 8220 Flip - 4.6.0.174
    [heavycomponent@tmo.blackberry.net]

Now a days the new name for "cell phone" is "Blackberry"!

--HeavyC.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

uberspeed no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24aa4e29
    Perhaps they don't have to subsidize the Storm as much

Quote Originally Posted by ItsNowOrNever View Post
    I think that has more to do with the different operating system. No?
    Actually while the OS plays a part, it's about RIM and AT&T working very closely to optimize the radio and software for maximum speed on the network.
    Quote Originally Posted by beamolite View Post
    It's simply really. Unlike the individual user, to AT&T it's just another phone. And another opportunity to sell to someone who does not want the iPhone but instead would rather have a BlackBerry. Just as the opposite is true, there are people that only want an iPhone. Therefore the more phones that AT&T has the more it sells. It's all about the money.. period.

kendrick87 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    216413F3
    I don't understand why T-Mobile would wait until January to release this device. That would be ridiculously stupid. Releasing it before Christmas makes the most sense, for obvious reasons.

2 years ago I switched to T-Mobile from AT&T (Cingular at the time) because I wanted the original Blackberry Pearl 8100 which was a T-Mobile exclusive. There were rumors that AT&T would get it in January sometime and I just couldn't wait that long, so I switched...and T-Mobile gained a customer. What's funny is that AT&T ended up releasing their 8100 before Christmas and I wouldn't have had to wait until Q1 of 07' as originally thought.

I have a haunch (just a haunch) that if T-Mobile will be getting this device (and I'm sure they will), we'll see it's release before Christmas... I hope I'm right.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyComponent View Post
    Yeah Karabear knows her stuff since her husband (JasonHDD) knows his stuff.
    Ah, so that's the connection! No wonder we haven't seen him around for awhile.

Concept Guest
    The 8900 will be a killer device for those who live on the fringe of a 3G network like 80% of the country does. The enhanced EDGE is supposed to be pretty fast. It'll be a great device for TMO.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Ya. I'm gonna have to say that there is simply not enough of the country that has 3g access. Therefore, I really think that this phone will sell.

Heck! I'm supposed to be getting 3g in my area in the next week. But I'm not sure I want to shell out the $$$ for the Bold. And I do want an upgrade for my Curve. Therefore, i'd consider it.

It looks to be a great device. If people want it for mainly messaging and only occasional web browsing, it's perfect!
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

After doing a very comprehensive comparison test between the time it takes to load a wide variety of web pages, using my Bold vs Curve, I find the difference in speed to be very modest. Certainly not enough to justify my earlier position, which was strongly in favor of 3G.

Thus I'm truly looking forward to the 8900, as the only hesitation I had was lack of 3G. Now with that resolved it's full speed ahead...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast