While this is probably a bit of a bias platform, I'm wondering if anyone has ... BlackBerry Curve forum
BlackBerry 8320 VS. G1 Google Phone
While this is probably a bit of a bias platform, I'm wondering if anyone has compared the Curve to T-Mobile's new G1 Google phone. Anyone have thoughts (Pro/Con's of each)?
Heres some pros and cons for the G1
- Multiple internet tabs (You can open upto 8 tabs)
- One touch Google search right on the home screen
- Google Maps with street view already installed on the phone
- 3 ways to navigate (Touchscreen, Trackball, Full Querty Keyboard)
- Realtime Gps with navigation
- The end call button has mulitple features if you press it once it will put the phone in sleep mode to save battery life and also locks the screen. If you press and hold it you will get a option menu you can either set to silent or power off the phone.
- 3.5 megapixel camera
- Secure touchscreen lock ( You can draw a pattern on the touchscreen and just redo that pattern to unlock the phone)
- Comes with 1gb SD card, stereo headset, usb cord, carry case, and a screen cling
- PC browsing on the go
- One touch to your gmail acct or upto 5 other email accts
- Contacts stored on a google server if you loose your phone or sim card and get a new one it will automatically back itself up
- One touch to YouTube
- Android market for all your application downloads
- Anyone can develop an application for the device
- Most applications right now are free
- The price 179.99 what other smartphone has that price
- Can handle upto a 16 GB SD card
- Excel attachment viewer
- Battery life
- Must have a gmail acct to activate
- No user guide (is available online)
- Doesnt automatically pull the phone #s off the sim card you have to goto contacts - settings- sim contact importer
- Only sold in stores that are in the 3G network ( customer can still order through customer care and online)
- Must have a data plan to work
- No data only plan ( for the hearing impaired)
- No enterprise email support
- Doesnt have UMA calling
I've heard great things about the phone. I'm very interested. I was speaking with a T-Mobile rep who says you can scan a barcode in a store, and google automatically tells you if you're paying the cheapest price in a certain radius. I'm torn. Love the BlackBerry but this thing sounds pretty serious.
You're 100% correct its a great phone! Brian was pretty much on point with the pros & cons! But I must say its a winner all the way! I'm typing this post on it now. Finally free from the land of wap! I see avatars and all! Battery is nowhere near the curve's! Its not the worst either. lm happy with the G1 overall. And the screen ?!?! AMAZING
You can't learn anything if you're talking!
Oh yeah, before you decide to go with the G1, understand that the curve is more a polished device! The G1 will become better over time. But OMG what a start .
You can't learn anything if you're talking!
yea...I went to my local T-MO store and the owner had a G1 and man is that thing f'n awesome!!! He is actually the guy who got me to buy a Blackberry in the first place. He said that he has had a BB since they came out and never would have thought he would ever have anything but a BB until the G1 came out. Just in the 10 minutes I had with the phone, it is very easy to use. It is as fluid as the iphone, but you can actually type with it being that it has the full qwerty keyboard. Also, you can use the trackball for more precise clicking on websites. The browser honestly looks like you PC and it is the real internet. He's trying to see if he can get me one for the discounted new contract price of only $180. As much as I love my BB Curve, the G1 is as bad as they get.
On a side note, he told me 2 things about the phone; one good, one bad. he said the battery life sucks terribly. But he said that the G1 is the first phone that is open to all developers and not specific to only RIM applications or mac apps or something to that extent. Basically, there will be more applications for this phone in a few weeks than the iphone and BB combined.
If he can get it for me for under $250 I will for sure be buying one.
"Shortcuts can slow you down"
So you guys who have tried the G1, do you miss blackberry email? I love my Pearl 8120 and one of the best things about it is that the email is flawlessly reliable and easy to search, etc. There are definitely some intriguing things about the G1, I look forward to learning more about it.
Interesting. I use all of Google's apps on my 8320 so, if anything, my Curve is already Google device minus Android.
I think it's interesting because we are seeing the Bold go to AT&T, the Storm go to Verizon, and now T-Mobile is coming at us with this G1. Not nearly branded the same as BlackBerry or Apple but I'm very interested to see how it stacks up.
is there a difference between wifi and uma calling? i thought this phone has wifi which means you can use it for calls like the curve...
The battery is pretty bad, it actually just died on me as I finished typing that. I was cycling it, hoping to see an improvement tomorrow.
Also, hoping Beejive makes an app as good as the BB version.. the AIM for the G1 isn't bad, but it isn't as good as the Jivetalk version.
Yes there is, the G1 does not have UMA, which is the only reason I will not be getting the G1. Even though "every future smartphone" was supposed to have UMA calling, and especially on the signature phone for T-Mobile they really blew it by not putting UMA on it and making it a great device
Originally Posted by jaymzb0nd
Another downfall that can be software fixed is that you can only use one Gmail Account, which kind of stinks if you have multiple like myself
i thought you can have 5 accounts? i'm surprised the bb storm doesn't have wifi or uma either
Oh yes I do. 3g or not, the emails load up slowly, it looks prettier but whats the point. Battery stinks compared to the curve. I knew I was getting a beta product basically, but I think I'm just more of a blackberry person. Just gimme a notepad,jivetalk,office to go, decent cam/vid, quick emails, etc etc, and I'll pass up any prettier os. G1 going back, waiting for the Javelin
Originally Posted by astroboy
Hadn't thought about the camera. That flash on the 8120 is pretty awesome. I didn't notice one on the G1.
Tags for this Thread