Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

your BB is .... off the hook !... BlackBerry Curve forum

mrmoe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Advertisement

your BB is .... off the hook !

Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most.
    | The DarkSide of PinStack | FAQ | Downloads |

BoogieNYC no está en línea Stack level 2
    Hey BnR:

I noticed a crack in the screen of my 8703e awhile back so I purchased a new faceplate for it. After about two months, I received the replacement from the guy in China; mine was a legit OEM faceplate so, despite the ridiculous length of wait-time it was not an issue.

I finally got the right tools (ie the torque wrench -- #7 in my tool kit worked perfectly) -- and I opened it up, got it unhinged, took it all apart and put the new faceplate on.

I had to swap out the LED cover, the power and mute buttons on the top of the unit, the earpiece speaker, the keyboard and the mic piece. All of these were soft-glued onto the old (cracked) faceplate. Some were rubber pieces and some were just stuck into the interior of the plate. Based on the amount of time it took me to do it and re-do it (I forgot to stick the mic onto the new faceplate before I closed it up) I'd say it was a serious pain in the happies. I got used to doing it after a few opens and closes. I had to re-open the entire assembly to clean out the dust that had managed its way under the faceplate and/or onto the screen.

If I wasn't about to pick up the VZW Curve I would be less-than-thrilled about the few specks of dust hiding under the skin/on the screen and would have already gone back in to solve it. Did you have an issue with dust? I was thinking about wiping everything down prior to spraying it with air and closing it up with an anti-static dryer sheet, eg Bounce, to avoid any dust getting in.

Quote Originally Posted by bacon_and_rice View Post
    cherri...i would say if its your first go at it, maybe a 7, but only because all you need is a torq wrench but i used a very small eye glass screw driver flat head. once you take out the two screws that you see above the top of the battery side, the bottom piece in the middle snaps off.

once the screws and middle bottom parts are off, everything pretty much is done. then you just pull down and out on the two black rubber sides, and theres two clips on each side that hold the housing onto the frame, use the flat head to pop those clips off the frame and its off.

you have to be firm but gentle if that makes any sense when taking it off. you can't just tug on it, but you do have to use some slight pressure. when i first did it, it took me about 5 minutes because i was being SUPER cautious, now that I have done it once, i can pop this bad boy off in about 45 seconds with no issues.

Thats always the concern of people who want to do this to their phone. and i would gladly do it for them, but two issues, i wouldn't trust sending my phone to anyone, and you would be without a phone for a day or two with shipping on top of that. if you go to youtube, search like disassemble blackberry curve, or something along those lines, thats what I followed and it was "easy as pie!"

if you want, i was thinking people could buy the faceplate, or the faceplate/battery door on ebay (the oem ones of course) and have them sent to me, then i can do the work and send them off to you. i thought that would seem to be the easiest, unless someone else had any suggestions.

bacon_and_rice no está en línea Stack level 2
    once i took off the housing faceplate, the lcd was exposed, i took some light microfiber eyeglass tissue, and used some basic eye glass cleaner to remove any dust specks. let me know if that works out for you!

thanks mr moe!

BoogieNYC no está en línea Stack level 2

Thumbs up

once i took off the housing faceplate, the lcd was exposed, i took some light microfiber eyeglass tissue, and used some basic eye glass cleaner to remove any dust specks. let me know if that works out for you!
    Hmmm...I didn't use liquid. I used an Oakley bag (Oakley sunglasses come in a microfiber, glass-friendly bag-shaped cloth). I have some optical cleaning spray floating around, I'll give that a shot.

To be honest, I saw the Colorware stuff and while their work looks pretty solid, the prices and the turn-around time put me off. Yours makes a lot of sense in both of those categories, so I wish you good luck. The painting is far more difficult than just replacing a front- or back-plate, so I have a feeling you'll be getting a lot of orders coming in very soon

Good luck

I really appreciate your support! I was doing my housing as a hobby and found the demand to be out there, however as you said the turn around and the fact that you need to send your phone in to colorware is a huge setback. Hopefully I can help pinstackers out!

anyone else looking for some custom housings to be done, PM me. i've found only 1 place only that sells the faceplate, sides, battery door, and midplate. they run for $39.99 plus shipping. i am looking to order some so they are on hand already when the requests come in for faster turn around so you can receive your housings within 4 days including shipping to you. if you have paypal and you're interested, let me know so i can place an order as well as the color you want.

you can purchase the item from here and have it shipped to me as well. Once i receive it, i will contact you, do the work that takes about a day and a half, and have you send me the payment for the paint job on it, and i'll send it out to you.

another form of communication those interested could reach me is by BB Messenger:

Pin# 241EFB9A

thanks for all the support and for the current requests received! keep them coming and make your BB Curve stand out from the crowd!

darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    retired
    For those of you that are interested in the painting... here is my blue one that I did for myself that I am loving !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

EXCELLENT JOB!! the blue bikini works well with it, i'm sure that was your intention! my girlfriend wants heres like a metallic turqouise but more on the blueish side.

PIN/ID
    retired
    Haahaa.. no, didn't pick the wallpaper first...but it messed in nicely For the back I have just been painting over that little mirror thingy.... not sure what its for but its a lot easier to just paint over it. LOL

New colors is strangely addicting !! And yeah I need some cheaper faceplates as the ones i was getting [front, back, antenna, lens, side rails, and a screwdriver] was running me 70ish.

darryl
    -------------

EXCELLENT JOB!! the blue bikini works well with it, i'm sure that was your intention! my girlfriend wants heres like a metallic turqouise but more on the blueish side.

yeah they can be pricey. what mirror thingy are you talking about? can you take a close up picture?

PIN/ID
    retired

Question white mirror thingy.

its the part under the camera hole... its a square mirror thing that I am not sure what it does. Took pictures with it covered and not covered, but didn't see a difference.

Any ideas and what its for ? ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

hastafford no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    245E5E02
    Quote Originally Posted by darryl71 View Post
    its the part under the camera hole... its a square mirror thing that I am not sure what it does. Took pictures with it covered and not covered, but didn't see a difference.

Any ideas and what its for ? ?
    I believe that mirror thingy is so when you take a picture of yourself with your camera, you can see what you look like. It is just a mirror for yourself when you take a picture.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast