Anyone have luck with Beyond 411 and Yellow Pages (GPS) on the 8310? I have ... BlackBerry Curve forum

BBRoy no está en línea Stack level 2

Beyond 411 and GPS

Advertisement

Anyone have luck with Beyond 411 and Yellow Pages (GPS) on the 8310? I have Google Maps working great with the GPS but Beyond 411 does not seem to use the GPS even though the status says GPS Available.

Thanks.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: Beyond 411 and GPS

How are you using it?

You should be searching and using the GPS option then it will find the closest to your GPS postion.

I hit the menu key then choose "Yellow Pages (GPS)". Then I type in a key word until it finds the item I am looking for then I select it.

Each time it searches if locates something in CA and I am in TX. I have my correct zip codes installed but it should not need those even if it is using the GPS.

Does this sound like the right method of search?

Thanks.

PIN/ID
    STACK

Yeah sounds right...I never tried the GPS option though so I can't really help much.

I just was trying it again and noticed it is picking a city in CA that is the same name as my city in TX when I use the GPS option.

Looks like a bug.

Any suggestions for other 411 programs like this? I really like the idea of this application and how it is supposed to work. I travel a lot and could really use something like this.

Perhaps the google maps will serve just as well since it is working.

PIN/ID
    STACK

I usually just use google maps most of the time. I have InfoSpace Findit as a backup and beyond411 as another backup

Thanks.

One of the reasons I chose the 8310 was for the GPS. At the time that was a big feature for me due to my travel needs. However I could not see paying for Telenav when I found how well google maps works.

PIN/ID
    STACK

I have the old mapquest if you want it 2.30 version....

Thanks for the offer but the more I use google maps the more I find it is probably all I need. I may download the BB Maps at some point just for offline capability.

I see a lot of people having trouble with google maps 2.0.2 but it is working for me.

I appreciate the help.

[IFC]Area51 no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post
    I usually just use google maps most of the time. I have InfoSpace Findit as a backup and beyond411 as another backup
    My exact same application priority and thought.

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional

Quote Originally Posted by BBRoy View Post
    Thanks.

One of the reasons I chose the 8310 was for the GPS. At the time that was a big feature for me due to my travel needs. However I could not see paying for Telenav when I found how well google maps works.

You know BB Maps works great on the 8310, and it seems to navigate better the Google Maps and the zoom feature when in Nagation Mode is much better as well, worth checking out and its free.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

I'm using v 2.0.2 of Google Maps on my 8310 & it works very well. No problems at all, plus it's accurate within approx 50 ft. Reasonably fast as compared to my Garmin Dedicated GPS device. Frankly I'm surprised at how well it functions.

~via BB 8310(wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by DjSmooth View Post
    You know BB Maps works great on the 8310, and it seems to navigate better the Google Maps and the zoom feature when in Nagation Mode is much better as well, worth checking out and its free.
    I downloaded this last night and it looks really good.

One question, do you know if the maps are on the phone or are they located on a server somewhere? It was not clear to me if BB Maps is updated and as accurate as Google Maps.

Although as I think of it, I am not sure it is practical for the maps to be on the phone due to the probable size.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I'm using v 2.0.2 of Google Maps on my 8310 & it works very well. No problems at all, plus it's accurate within approx 50 ft. Reasonably fast as compared to my Garmin Dedicated GPS device. Frankly I'm surprised at how well it functions.

~via BB 8310(wap.pinstack.com)~
    Depending on where I am mine will get within 3 meters (~9 feet). Not sure I need it that close but I was very surprised as well. I assume the accuracy is due to the actual GPS hardware in the phone instead of the cell tower triangulation method.

So far I am very happy with it.

Finally just removed Beyond 411. I seems to work OK with the addresses but if I choose the GPS option it never works right.

I drove through 4 cities today and the GPS search either failed completely (identified the city but could not find a simple location) or chose the wrong state. Google Maps and BlackBerry Maps worked perfectly on finding my location and finding anything I put into search.

Beyond 411 could be a good app but it seems very buggy with GPS.