Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey Stackers, I was wanting a recommendation for a great, easy, all in one text ... BlackBerry Curve forum

ckroaderick no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    325A8ECE

Best all in 1 Text Chat Program (FREE)

Advertisement

Hey Stackers,
    I was wanting a recommendation for a great, easy, all in one text chat program. My son lives in Kentucky and is currently grounded for the summer. I live in Florida. I believe he is texting me thru a wi-fi connection at home using some program on his I-Pod. Problem is, I keep getting wierd messages thru his chat client. We tried yahoo messenger, but it seems his connection is spotty at best. Looking for a Blackberry all in one, and hey if it does BBM even better. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Craig K. Roaderick
    ckroaderick@gmail.com
    BB#31E9B18E
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    ckroaderrick, It's hard to recommend a package and say it's the best. I don't know of a free one - maybe some of the other users do.

The one for Blackberry that I think works without bugs, etc., is Jive Talk from Beejive. They have a 30-day free trial and it's $20 for the license - a little more for a "transferable" license which I also recommend.

Also I don't think any of them can include BBM - that's a system unique to RIM.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    325A8ECE
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    ckroaderrick, It's hard to recommend a package and say it's the best. I don't know of a free one - maybe some of the other users do.

The one for Blackberry that I think works without bugs, etc., is Jive Talk from Beejive. They have a 30-day free trial and it's $20 for the license - a little more for a "transferable" license which I also recommend.

Also I don't think any of them can include BBM - that's a system unique to RIM.

Thanks Jblackfish. Maybe I need to be more concise. Looking for a chat all in one that handles yahoo, google, aim, and whatev er chat program my son is using or may possibly use on his I-Pod. Bone head shouldn't have gotten himself grounded or we would be talking in person (Long Story, short version- he's 15.5 and just got his learners permit. Grand theft auto, taught him the basics, LOL) But I do appreciate the advice.

PIN/ID
    325A8ECE
    Also, if someone could please explain to me why there is never a "submit" button after I type a reply to someone elses post, I would appreciate it. Everytime I want to reply I have to copy and paste in order for it to post.

Gotcha. Jivetalk handles all of the standard IM aps - unless he's using something unique to apple it's probably on there. Can't you determine which package your son is using somehow? If you're getting any part of his messages the clue should come with it I think.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by ckroaderick View Post
    Also, if someone could please explain to me why there is never a "submit" button after I type a reply to someone elses post, I would appreciate it. Everytime I want to reply I have to copy and paste in order for it to post.
    What OS are you using on your 8330? I think that's a problem with an older OS - maybe pre 4.5 - not sure, but I had that problem some time back.

PIN/ID
    325A8ECE
    On an 8330 upgraded to 4.5 about 6 months ago. Thanks

PIN/ID
    325A8ECE
    As far as his chat goes, originally we were both using yahoo messenger. But last night his texts were coming thru on "GOGII". I've never heard of it but kept seeing messages at the bottom of his texts saying standard texts rates apply. Don't need higher sprint bill then I have already. I have unlimited text and data but I don't want any surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by ckroaderick View Post
    As far as his chat goes, originally we were both using yahoo messenger. But last night his texts were coming thru on "GOGII". I've never heard of it but kept seeing messages at the bottom of his texts saying standard texts rates apply. Don't need higher sprint bill then I have already. I have unlimited text and data but I don't want any surprises.
    I don't recognize GOGII - could that be Google Talk? I don't use that one.

The reason to use a package like Jive Talk is that it used your data plan to send the IM's. I don't have a text package because I don't really text much but an IM package really makes sense, especially if you pay for the license once and you're done.

PIN/ID
    325A8ECE
    Gottcha J, I'd like to see what other options are out there as well. I still want previews or his basic texts to show on my today+ homescreen as well. Makes it easier to follow conversations with a teenager.

PIN/ID
    325A8ECE
    Plus, I do have unlimited text so I'm not worried about my charges, just those surprise ones that show up unannounced due to utilizing some strange site or program to send texts.

brianjr1988 no está en línea Device Expert
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    1.palringo
    2.instango
    3.EQO
    4.nimbuzz

they are the 4 top free ones to date

PIN/ID
    325A8ECE
    Thanks, anyone stand out above the rest and if so why?

becmc no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Pls Ask
    I have tried palringo and nimbuzz on my 8330 os 4.5.I didn't like nimbuzz cuz it changed all my custom ringtones to a default. I am using palringo and like it so far.

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Just a couple of other options for him to use, would be almost any messenger can now setup a contact in their IM and if they have their mobile number setup then he can type in the IM window and it will text your phone. you can reply via text and it will show up on his IM

also you can send a text to any phone using their phone number and carrier info to text to their phone from an email (such as yahoo) (make sure you turn off your signature in the email)

mine is 720530XXXX@txt.att.net
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast