Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i have the 8900. i have gotten the WiFi to work and have been using ... BlackBerry Curve forum

JCG3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Being charged for UMA???

Advertisement

i have the 8900. i have gotten the WiFi to work and have been using the UMA phone along with WiFi
    data. i started to notice that my minutes are going up every time i do make a call on UMA. I thought that Tmo@Home ( the service that replaces your land line with VoIP) gave me unlimited calling on all other phones on my plan at WiFi hotspots ... am i wrong?

Thanks,

JCG3

s2kneSs no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    No, your not wrong and your shouldn't be charged for that if you are paying for that service.

I would call T-Mobile if I were you.

~via Blackberry smartphone~

snoopy0011 no está en línea Stack level 1
    T-Mobile @Home service provides you unlimited nationwide calling from your home telephone.

Unlimited HotSpot Calling service, you can make and receive
    unlimited nationwide calls over Wi-Fi from home, or at any US T-Mobile
    HotSpot location, anytime, day or night.

They are two different features.

Hope this answers your question.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    ~via smartphone~

This all depends if you have the plan. You can make as many calls over UMA as you want, but it will still deduct minutes unless you have the service plan added which I believe is 9.99

bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17
    19.99 for the unlimited UMA calling. Honestly now with the unlimited calling plan TMo has for 99.99 that seems to be their best deal of course that doesn't include the blackberry data internet plan

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    To sum it up ill quote one of my earlier posts :

Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Basically heres how it works :

The UMA hardware is built in the 8900 and it works with ANY wifi router.
    The 8900 will ALWAYS connect to UMA no matter if you have the UMA service on your cellular subscription or not (be it Rogers or Tmo).

If you do have the addon, your calls wont come out of your monthly minute allocation aka the Free Unlimited UMA Calling for xx$/Month option.
    If you do not have said addon, your call will STILL go over UMA but you will be billed for them the same way calls are billed if youre on the cellular network aka coming out of your monthly minute allocation.

Meaning, if you dont subscribe to it because you do not need that because you have a home phone but one day you find yourself at a cottage with NO reception, your can STILL use UMA (neat huh ?) and this work over ANY wifi not only a special router.

Now the reason why they (Rogers and Tmo) will try a sell you a Special Router, is because those said routers have a special voice mode enabled that keeps some of your bandwidth aside for voice calls.

So say youre downloading a huge torrent over your network and you use UMA yet you use your own router ... well it might not work well lol ... to say the least.

Now same case, USING A UMA ROUTER, your calls will go over the wireless network through that specific voice bandwidth.

Get it ?

Sorry for going on and on lol.
    In your case, you fall under the option of being able to use UMA without subscribing to the 19.99 UMA calling plan bglawrence is referring to AKA the part i put in Bold.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy0011 View Post
    T-Mobile @Home service provides you unlimited nationwide calling from your home telephone.

Unlimited HotSpot Calling service, you can make and receive
    unlimited nationwide calls over Wi-Fi from home, or at any US T-Mobile
    HotSpot location, anytime, day or night.

They are two different features.

Hope this answers your question.
    Wrong. Sorry but they are both the same, Tmo@Home is the Tmobile BRANDING name for Unlimited HotSpot Calling, they are both using a cellphone over wifi and none of them involves a home phone.

jonesjj no está en línea Stack level 3
    Wrong. Sorry but they are both the same, Tmo@Home is the Tmobile BRANDING name for Unlimited HotSpot Calling, they are both using a cellphone over wifi and none of them involves a home phone.

The T-Mobile @home uses a router with a sim card inside you connect a home phone to and can make unlimited nationwide calls. Plan costs $9.99 and adds another number to your plan.

Unlimited HotSpot Calling is cell phone over WiFi and or Local HotSpot.

They are not the same.

uberspeed no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24aa4e29
    To sum it up ill quote one of my earlier posts :

In your case, you fall under the option of being able to use UMA without subscribing to the 19.99 UMA calling plan bglawrence is referring to AKA the part i put in Bold.

Cheers,

ranxoren, I'm pretty sure the TMo at home is their VOIP offering, nothing to do with UMA.
    Facebook
    MySpace
    Personal: 8900 4.6.1.250
    Work: 8330 4.5.0.160

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesjj View Post
    The T-Mobile @home uses a router with a sim card inside you connect a home phone to and can make unlimited nationwide calls. Plan costs $9.99 and adds another number to your plan.

They are not the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by uberspeed View Post
    ranxoren, I'm pretty sure the TMo at home is their VOIP offering, nothing to do with UMA.
    Did my research and I stand corrected.
    Thanks for the great input i just assumed Tmo had the same offering as Rogers - i apologize.

Regardless, this is not what the OP was asking about - lets get back on topic.

So to the OP, are you refering to the T-Mobile @home or the Unlimited HotSpot Calling ?
    Last edited by ranxoren; 02-07-2009 at 02:37 PM.

I thought the same thing when I signed up with the @Home service. I called T-Mobile CS about it and they said it's not free unlimited UMA calling unless I got the HotSpot plan.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I see. Thanks for the educated answers jonesjj.
    I'm not too familiar with Tmo's offering but slowly, i learn .

I see. Thanks for the educated answers jonesjj.
    I'm not too familiar with Tmo's offering but slowly, i learn .
    No problem was just trying to clear up some confusion. Glad your back with a new berry. Sorry I couldn't help. Money is tight here too.

obione no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24aa759c
    if you're able to get to customer loyalty you can get it for 9.99, I have 800 anytime minutes unlimited nights and wkeds for 29.99 and the hotspot at home feat. for 9.99, but there are letting my try it out for a month for free.

T-Mobile is the best, they can go old school and bring back the brick phone from the early 90's and I will stick with them.

Call them and pretend you want to leave, if your not under contract.

JCG3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    first off... this is the most responses i have ever gotten on one of my post! thanks to all of you!

i just got off the phone with Tmo BB support and they said that in my case it is a helper to the cellular service in my area. he said that it will be billed the same as any other phone call i make on a regular cell phone call. for example if i call, on UMA, my girlfriend who is one of my MyFavs, then i get billed like i would if called her from the tower.... free. if i call some number and it does not fall in the Unlimited numbers (myfavs, tmo to tmo, nights and weekends) then it comes out of my 700 minute allotment for the month.

confusing really but it makes sense when you think about it. also if anyone is looking to do this i have the special settings for your router so you can get good service via UMA... it all starts with changing the channel of the router to channel 3. let me know if you want me to post the whole thing.

thanks for all the help yall

JCG3

snoopy0011 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesjj View Post

They are not the same.

It seems that alot of people are confused with T-Mobile@Home and Unlimited Hotspot Calling because when "Unlimted Hotspot Calling" feature was first available, they called it "T-Mobile@Home"; wifi calling at home.

Since now that T-Mobile is offering home phone service (which is now called T-Mobile@Home), hence "old" T-Mobile@Home feature is now called Unlimted Hotspot Calling.

Hope this clarifies all the confusions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast