Starting a new thread since the previous thread on this is months old. I cannot ... BlackBerry Curve forum

montys no está en línea Stack level 1

BBMaps Icon won't show in ATT 8310 w OS4.5

Advertisement

Starting a new thread since the previous thread on this is months old.

I cannot get the icon to appear on my ATT 8310
    I have confirmed that BBMaps should show on OS4.5 and (multiple times!) unhid all icons, and gone thru them one by one to ensure I'm just not recognizing it or it was hidden.
    IT'S JUST NOT THERE!!!
    There's a procedure to edit the vendor data (below) but noe of that pertains.

I have 4.5.0.110, have successfully installed BBMaps on the device – it shows on the Applications list as version LBS1.2 and module net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon.

But from there none of what’s written here seems to pertain.

From the earlier post:
    > Follow this path
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8310-v4.2.2.176_P2.5.0.34
    > Find the LBS.alx (make a copy of it and leave it there)

> You should see this right above what you just searched for.
    <fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0" _vendorID="~102|124|137|119|162|142|183|147|217|175" series="~8800">

I do not have a shared directory, and search of my entire disc does not show any LBS.alx file.

In the file I unzipped BBMaps_en_1.2.zip there is a file called lbs_template.alx, and inside that is the reference to the module net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon.cod

Inside the lbs_template.alx file I see that basic line, but no info on vendorID. Here’s what mine says:

<fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0">
    <files>
    net_rim_bb_lbs.cod
    net_rim_bb_lbs_api.cod
    net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon.cod

So I cannot change the ~102| since I don’t have it.

Any pointers on how to get BBMaps icon onto my screen?

ohbarnes no está en línea Stack level 2
    use JLGUI to load/push the net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon.cod to your BB

you will also need
    to add net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon.cod to BlackBerry.alx (under <fileset radio="GPRS|UMTS" Java="1.0"> section) otherwise it will unload it when you try and add any apps from desktop.
    OB - 8310 AT&T

Thanks for the suggestion. BBMaps is already on the Blackberry (it shows as an application and the .cod module is listed as being loaded) but I gave it a shot anyway.

I downloaded JLGUI and installed the .cod, upon which the BB says:

Uncaught exception: java.lang.illegalArgumentException.

Nothing seems to have changed. BBMaps LBS1.2 and module net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon are still loaded just like they were before, and no icon appears (I just unhid all and manually inspected every one).

Also - there is no file named BlackBerry.alx on my hard drive. As mentioned previously, that line does exist in the lbs_template.alx file.

UPDATE - 5 MIN LATER...

So I took it a step further. Deleted BBMaps from the BB, and this time installed not just net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon.cod but the entire set of .cod files from BBMaps_en_1.2.zip.

Success!!
    The icon now appears. Curious to see if it stays after I do some other OS upgrade (which I rarely do). I'm sure there's some ATT file that needs to be edited to keep the icon there, but it's odd to me that I do not have any of the specific .alx files mentioned in this or other threads.

Thanks!
    Last edited by montys; 12-14-2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: update

rbn85 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24538FBF
    I'm having the same problem, the icon just doesnt show up..~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

arizonadave no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks Montys. I've been trying to get BBMaps on my AT&T Curve for two days. Your idea worked like a charm. First I used Desktop Manager to remove BBMaps. I then removed all "lbs" files from
    Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8310-v4.5\
    The alx file was in this directory, and the cod files were in the Java folder. I unziped BBMaps_en_1.2.zip. put the lbs_template.alx in the above directory, and then put all the unzipped cod files into the Java folder. Then reran DM and installed BBMaps. And now BBMaps shows up.

While I like Google Maps, I often need to drive to clients who are already in my address book, and BBMaps allows me to just select a name from the address book and it finds their address so I don't have to reenter it, nor copy and paste.

Thanks again for your help!

Dream Rider no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by arizonadave View Post
    Thanks Montys. I've been trying to get BBMaps on my AT&T Curve for two days. Your idea worked like a charm. First I used Desktop Manager to remove BBMaps. I then removed all "lbs" files from
    Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8310-v4.5\
    The alx file was in this directory, and the cod files were in the Java folder. I unziped BBMaps_en_1.2.zip. put the lbs_template.alx in the above directory, and then put all the unzipped cod files into the Java folder. Then reran DM and installed BBMaps. And now BBMaps shows up.

While I like Google Maps, I often need to drive to clients who are already in my address book, and BBMaps allows me to just select a name from the address book and it finds their address so I don't have to reenter it, nor copy and paste.

Thanks again for your help!
    AWSOME!!!!

Works great. Here is a link to the .zip file http://www.mediafire.com/?vol2p0smpzy
    If you're going to dream - Dream Large!

BadDancer no está en línea Stack level 2
    Thanks so much for this information, I've been trying to get BBMaps on my curve for weeks now!

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    They'll probably do some network tweak on some other concern that will just incidentally make it disappear again

Dream Rider no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Berryadict View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    They'll probably do some network tweak on some other concern that will just incidentally make it disappear again
    If you're going to dream - Dream Large!

Application Loader breaks BBMaps

Now that BBMaps is installed, further use of the Application Loader (AL) messes everything up.
    For some reason the AL thinks I have two versions of BBMaps installed – 4.5 and LBS1.2
    If I try to load another program using AL, it wants to either upgrade or delete 4.5 (I can configure it to leave LBS1.2 alone).
    Whichever change to 4.5 I choose, it breaks BBMaps and I need to uninstall and reload via JLGUI.

So with BBMaps installed, AL isn’t usable, at least not without re-loading BBMaps. But with JLGUI, AL isn’t really necessary, except that apps installed that way don’t show up in Options>Advanced>Applications, so application properties can’t be modified.

Monty