Hello everyone, From what I've seen there are a lot of experienced users here! Can ... BlackBerry Curve forum

VictorHK no está en línea Stack level 1

Question BB Curve 8320 Wi-Fi Connections

Advertisement

Hello everyone,

From what I've seen there are a lot of experienced users here! Can someone give me some direction with this issue I'm having?

I have the BB curve 8320 from T-mobile. I don't have the data plan since I have wireless access everywhere. I figured it would be easy to just use the wi-fi networks instead of paying for a data plan.

Here's the issue. I can't use certain applications with the BB over my wi-fi. When I install the GMAIL app I get an error stating:

Network Unavailable: This
    program requires a data
    connection, and some
    BlackBerry devices require
    reconfiguration to work
    properly. Please visit the Gmail
    FAQ on your computer for
    more info.

This is pretty much the same error message I get with all of the other apps I've tried to install on my curve.

I can go online, over wi-fi, with the default browser but nothing else will work without the data plan.

Has anyone figured out how to route all of the internal data requests to go over the wi-fi network instead of the RIM network?

OperaMini for instance does not work either... despite a strong Wi-Fi connection. So again... I basically want all internet connections to go through my wi-fi instead of looking for the RIM data plan connection.

Can anyone help?

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846

Re: BB Curve 8320 Wi-Fi Connections

Most third party applications are designed to access the internet on your BB from either a BIS/BES or TCP connection. This being the case with all of the one's you are trying to run on your BlackBerry. The only way to get them to work would be to sign up for your carrier's BIS data plan. Since only native RIM apps are capable of accessing the internet through Wi-Fi.

VictorHK no está en línea Stack level 1

Argh. But there must be some kind of work-a-round. Or some programs that are able to access the internet exclusively over Wifi.

There must be a way!:cry:

OliverB no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, hello everybody.

I have the same issue on my new 8120, and by now I almost consider returning it. Which is a pity, as it was pretty much the only attractive device that seemed to do what I need. But it doesn't. I too wish to check my E-Mail via POP3/IMAP on WiFi only, and the Google Mail app simply doesn't work that way. Which is a shame, since Google Mail was pretty much the only halfway decent solution I found in order NOT to be forced into a Blackberry Plan.

(My carrier simply did not state that the device is pretty much unusable without the additional plan, and honestly, I did not expect a phone in 2007 to be crippled in something as basic as POP3/IMAP. It's beyond belief.)

If there is someone with an idea about how to make Google Mail work via WiFi i'd be most thankful for a hint.

Add: I can get Opera to work via WiFi only, but I have to deactivate the GPRS connection manually. Otherwise it will always use GPRS.

yasaf no está en línea Stack level 1

Sorry to wake up an old thread, but it maybe helpful

I encountered the same problem myself, and after a couple of days of searching the net I found Logicmail (link below).

http://www.logicprobe.org/proj/logicmail

I hope you'll find it useful.

Yasaf
    www.burshan.net

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    From what i heard if you kill your edge or gsm service while your running the wifi it should work. but like I said Its what i heard from somone may not be reliable

anaenima no está en línea Stack level 3
    Without using a hack (if there is such a thing), you cannot get them to work with just wifi. I've read that most applications for the BB weren't created with wifi in mind because it is new to the device. I'm sure the apps not working with wifi will be working in the near future since BBs now have the feature.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

yasaf no está en línea Stack level 1

Working with wifi only

Check out this link
    http://www.logicprobe.org/proj/logicmail/wiki/features

At the bottom of the page you'll find instruction how to force Logicmail to work with Wifi, instead of GSM.

I hope this helps.

Yasaf
    www.burshan.net