New to the boards and did some searching and could not find exactly what I ... BlackBerry Curve forum

jziran no está en línea Stack level 1

BB 8320 - Bluetooth and Internet

Advertisement

New to the boards and did some searching and could not find exactly what I was looking for.

I have

Dell XPS m1330 running Vista Home Premium

TMobile Curve 8320 v4.2.2.180 (Platform 2.5.0.36)

I have a data plan through TMO

I have had trouble installing DM 4.3 so I reverted back to DM 4.2.2.14 (Apr 26, 2007)

Now I am trying to connect the BB to the XPS via BT and i am having issues.

Vista can;t seem to identify the device when connected. It comes up with "unkown device"

I suspect the issue is related to bad BT drivers from Dell or MS but I haven't tracked it down. I have spent 10 hours on this and made no progress. Can someone help?

Thanks in advance,

Justin

senseijake no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2140331B

Re: BB 8320 - Bluetooth and Internet

Hello Justin and Welcome to Pinstack.

I have a dell m1330 and a 8830 through us cellular and my phone pairs up fine.

what exactly dos it say besides unknown device, i.e. does it say unknown bluetooth peripherial device?

Anyway let me walk you through how i set it up and let me know where your getting hung up.

• Open Bluetooth Devices within Control Panel
    • Select Options Tab make sure all boxes are checked except for the one that say turn off bt adapter.
    • Bluetooth options on the blackberry should have discoverable set to "yes"
    • Also check that bluetooth is turned on under manage connections on the BB
    • Now go to the Bluetooth Devices Window and select the devices tab
    • Put a check next to "My device is set up and ready to be found" click next
    • Now you should be seeing your blackberry in the list of found devices
    • Select It and press next
    • Next window shows ask for you to set up a passkey click on let me choose my own and put in 0000 (four zero's) Click next
    • A screen will pop up on the BlackBerry and ask for a numeric pass code. Enter in the 0000 (Four zero's) and press enter
    • Your laptop will start to install the drivers.
    • Two out of Four will say Bluetooth Peripheral Device and the drivers will not be found. These are the drivers for Bluetooth Dial-Up Networking and A/V Remote Control. Vista doesnt not support either of these.
    • Go back into the bluetooth options on your phone> highlight your now listed laptop and go to device properties.
    • Within device properties go to Trusted>change to YES, go to encryption> change to disabled
    • Save these new settings.
    • Ok so now that we have both talking with eachother we can move on to desktop manager
    • Open up Desktop Manager
    • Click on options>select connection settings.
    • Select Connection>Bluetooth DO NOT CLICK DETECT!!!!!
    • Check Enable Bluetooth Support
    • Check Automatically Switch from Bluetooth to USB when USB is Connected
    • Click Configure Bluetooth Button
    • A new window appears, click on add.
    • Your blackberry will appear and just click "OK"
    • You will notice that under connection it says bluetooth and then displays your pin.
    • The blackberry will now sync through desktop manager using a bluetooth connection.
    Keep In mind that you cannot use your phone as a Bluetooth Dial-Up Network with the stock drivers built-in to Vista. If you want to be able to use your phone as a btdun you have to re-flash your dell bluetooth chipset, and fake vista into installing the drivers needed. However Desktop Manager wont work with any other bluetooth drivers besides those built-in to vista. So its either/or unfortunately

Hope this takes care if it. The part that hung me up was disabling encryption and trusting the laptop through the blackberry

Good Luck and let me know how this works

Jake

ghadiani no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: BB 8320 - Bluetooth and Internet

I too am new to Pinstack and like jziran I have a Dell m1330 and a blackberry 8320.

I am having problems pairing my 8320 with the laptop via BT. Both of the devices see each other, but the problem occurs when I have to enter the passkey into the phone. I get an error message that reads

*Windows in unable to exchange passkeys with your device

I have tried making my own passkeys, allowing windows to create its own but nothing seems to work. I have even selected the no passkey option but the phone still asks for one.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thank You

billsidea no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by senseijake View Post
    Keep In mind that you cannot use your phone as a Bluetooth Dial-Up Network with the stock drivers built-in to Vista. If you want to be able to use your phone as a btdun you have to re-flash your dell bluetooth chipset, and fake vista into installing the drivers needed. However Desktop Manager wont work with any other bluetooth drivers besides those built-in to vista. So its either/or unfortunately
    Thanks Jake! This is very helpful info. I was struggling with this for a good portion of the night. What exactly is involved in re-flashing my Dell bluetooth chipset and faking Vista into installing the drivers needed? My main goal for this laptop is getting my BB to work as a modem (i.e. I don't care too much about using Desktop Manager). However, I hesitate to monkey around too much with my bluetooth drivers (for fear of screwing up the connections to my bluetooth mouse and GPS device, which work fine). At this point, I'm inclined to live with the USB cable when doing my dial-up networking, but it seems like a shame!

And by the way...how did you know this? :-)

Bill

billsidea no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by senseijake View Post
    Thanks Jake! This is very helpful info. I was struggling with this for a good portion of the night. What exactly is involved in re-flashing my Dell bluetooth chipset and faking Vista into installing the drivers needed? My main goal for this laptop is getting my BB to work as a modem (i.e. I don't care too much about using Desktop Manager). However, I hesitate to monkey around too much with my bluetooth drivers (for fear of screwing up the connections to my bluetooth mouse and GPS device, which work fine). At this point, I'm inclined to live with the USB cable when doing my dial-up networking, but it seems like a shame!

And by the way...how did you know this? :-)

Bill

Dongo no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanx senseijake!

This is a really good description and all works until the bullet "Check Enable Bluetooth Support".

I can't check Bluetooth support. Its is shown in grey and can not be choosed.

I found out that this is do to my PC using the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack. A Toshiba PC... :-|

I need the embeddet Microsoft Bluetooth Stack to make things work with the BB.

Easy enough you should think. Just contact Microsoft support!?!
    No...!!
    Nothing happens exept from me being told to ask somewhere else at Microsoft support. I ended up sending the question to the danish CEO. Still nothing...

Therefore: Does anyone know how to obtain the Microsoft Bluetooth Stack? I'm using Vista Business :-)

PIN/ID
    2140331B
    I should have a copy of it. Ill look when I get into work today~via BB(wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    2140331B
    i looked and i cant find a copy of it on my computer, you best bet is to google around for microsoft bluetooth stack.

sorry for the late reply