Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm new to the blackberry world having purchased a Cingular 8300 about a month ago. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

the_monk no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up BB8300 - Did you know it is waterproof?

Advertisement

I'm new to the blackberry world having purchased a Cingular 8300 about a month ago. After learning the menu stucture and getting familiar with the slightly small keyboard, I now love my Curve.

So, let me set scene. My 9 yr old is at a neighborhood kids b-day party. They have a two-story high inflatable water slide. My 4 yr old boy wanted to go down it. Well, he made it all the way to top, then chickened out. So, here I am, at the top of this thing. I did what any self-respecting child-like father does, I threw the shirt and sunglasses off the side and did a header down the slide. I must say I got huge air and had near perfect form. Right into the thigh-deep pool at the bottom.

I spend probably a minute struggling to get out of the collapsing bounce-house-full-of-water before I get drilled by the next over-zealous sliding 9 yr old. I finally get out, collect the 4 yr old from the gaggle of boys. Spend another minute getting my shirt and flip flops, and realize that my blackberry is in my pocket.

D'oh.

Well, it's now probably 2 or 3 minutes after my dip. I dig it out of my pocket. The screen is dark. No flashing led. So I rip out the battery. I JUST bought it like 32 days ago.

So, I shake it out as hard as possible. Let it sit around for an hour, shake it some more. Do this a few times. By now, I can no longer stand the suspense. So, I throw the battery in. It starts to fire up, then shuts down. Well, I figure I'm now out $500 to replace it, so I try again. This time, it actually starts up. The backlight is flickering off an on, but it's on.

Now, the main goal is to back it up ASAP so I can take a backup. It locks up mid-way through the backup. Reboot, and low and behold, it starts up, backs up, makes a call, receives all of the waiting email. Never in my wildest dreams would I expect this thing to work. All of the "wet" markers inside are red. There are still drops inside the case.

So, it's going to remain off for a couple of days (the withdrawl shakes have already started), but I'm 100% confident that it will work without flaw. What an amazing piece of hardware. I'm now a die-hard RIM customer.

Helluva first post, I know.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: BB8300 - Did you know it is waterproof?

My hubby is always afraid he forgets his BB in his pocket when we go swimming. Its fun to play on it

Welcome to Pinstack.

Let us know what happens in the end.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

kpishdadi no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me

my hubby left his 8700 next to the BBQ one day when we had one of those crazy chicago unexpected downpours of rain. it ended up being fine also

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Scary experience but I hope it all works out for you
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

jkai2188 no está en línea Stack level 5

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~co worker dropped his in the sink with his dishes that he was washing and didn't know it until he drained all the water out of the sink. He doesn't know how long it was in there the only that happened is his buttons squeak wheb you oush them down on his pearl. But other than that it was pretty clean. Lol

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3

I'm not sure "waterproof" is the best choice of words. It survived a dip in the drink, but by no means is it waterproof.

smis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    OU812

I think a better word would be water resistant. Good luck!

synik103 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    OICU812

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i think the best description is "damn lucky cause this will never happen again". Don't try this at home kids. I'm glad it turned out alright for you, but I wouldn't expect a repeat of this little feat.

afinewagoneer no está en línea Stack level 2

I've heard that if you remove the battery and "soak" the device in rubbing alcohol, it will displace all the water. when you remove it, the alcohol will evaporate quickly leaving it dry. if you try this, please dont blame me :-)

synik103 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    OICU812

http://www.csgnetwork.com/specificgravliqtable.html

Though most alcohols are lighter than water, (see specific gravity table above) I wouldn't try submerging your device in ANY liquid. If you must, dismantle the device quickly and use compressed air to remove as much water as possible. I've heard rice works, but salt is a nono. Best bet? Take care of your baby and don't let it get wet.
    The above commentary is for entertainment purposes only. If this was actual joke the tone you just heard would have been followed by emergency response information. It's supposed to be fun people.

benritmeyer no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~it may be fine now, but it will deteriorate as time goes on as the mother board tends to rust over time. Things like blank screens and address contacts disappearing etc are common signs!

abad no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30D26FDC

do you have insurance on the device? Because that's prob going to be your best bet.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

quillhill no está en línea Stack level 3

Last summer my first BB, an 8700c, took a flying leap case and all into a just flushed toilet. (I have since eschewed belt clip cases and carry the phone in my pocket). I rescued it, pulled the battery, rushed it home and let it dry for three days. That was July. It worked like a champ until October. Then it just quit making phone calls. I decided to get a 7130c and used that for eight months. I abused that bad boy but kept it far away from water.

I actually now make a point of not having my phone anywhere near water or where it might potentially get damaged. No insurance offered by at&t on the BlackBerry devices so cases and screen protectors and being careful are my best insurance. Though I've seriously considered picking up a back up Curve off ebay because I love it so much.

That not having a BlackBerry for a few days was pretty rough. You'll calm down considerably once it's dried out. And who knows? Maybe the Curve will handle the water damage better than an older Berry did. *shrug*
    Thanks to my 'Berry, I'm only an e-mail away.
    Or you could just go see me at myspace.com/quillhill

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Quote Originally Posted by smis
    I think a better word would be water resistant. Good luck!
    Like a cat. It can take a swim, but it really really doesn't want to.

gkg3059 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    204bd5f7

Next time don't forget to put a swim suit on your curve. Only thing now the warranty is over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast