Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How often do you do a battery pull and should you do one every once ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Joelynn no está en línea Stack level 1

Battery Pull Helps??

Advertisement

How often do you do a battery pull and should you do one every once in a while?

Thanks Joe

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Re: Battery Pull Helps??

i do a battery pull once a day. also i clear out all my bs messages from the day. and clear whatever viigo rss feeds i dont need or want. i almost double my free memory by doing so. alot of people dont realize the more bs you have eatting up on your memory it may start to make you bb sluggish. i reccomend once a day if your a heavy user. if your a light user every few days is good

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

I also do it everyday and clear everything at night before I sleep

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

I rarely take the battery out, maybe once every 2 weeks. Maybe more when I had my 8700. Really don't have any slowdown on the 8300. But this is a good idea to clear things out.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3

I never do... instead of taking out battery... try ALT-ESCAPE and quit some of the extra applications you left running the background.... then if you still feel you need a reboot, a simple ALT-RightShift-DEL will reboot you.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

I will only do a BP occassionally (every month or so if my memory gets low). Since I'm usually adding or deleting apps more often than that, I usually get an automatic reboot which does the trick.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

My phone reboots alot because I am always adding or taking away apps....so I only do a bat pull when it locks up.

jetsetter no está en línea Stack level 3

Is there a "hard" and "soft" reset on the BB, or does a battery pull accomplish the same theng as the reboot ljbyar mentioned?

DeputyPS no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249EF7BC

Never unless I have to for some reason. So far I have not had a reason.

Quick note on what I'm experiencing so far:

After long sessions on the curve switching between messsaging, gmaps, bb browser, opera and the phone eventually the device starts to stumble. You can tell that the hourglass starts to appear more frequently during task switching and then finally you end up with just the hourglass spinning around. I find that this generally happens when I'm in the BB browser but can happen anywhere.

A battery pull is almost required at this point, though I thought that the alt-shift-del was for the left shift so I will try the right one next time.

Can someone tell me how to view the amount of available system memory?

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter
    Quick note on what I'm experiencing so far:

After long sessions on the curve switching between messsaging, gmaps, bb browser, opera and the phone eventually the device starts to stumble. You can tell that the hourglass starts to appear more frequently during task switching and then finally you end up with just the hourglass spinning around. I find that this generally happens when I'm in the BB browser but can happen anywhere.

A battery pull is almost required at this point, though I thought that the alt-shift-del was for the left shift so I will try the right one next time.

Can someone tell me how to view the amount of available system memory?
    My guess is simple that you are leaving numerous applications (gmaps, opera, etc.) running the background chewing up the CPU. Kind of like launching 10 applications in Windows and then noticing how it all slows down.

Hold down the ALT key and the Escape key (ALT-Escape) and a bar showing you all running applications will come up. Some like Home, Browser, etc. you can't terminate. But you should be able to slide over to Media, Now Playing, Opera, GMAPS, etc. and use menu to Close/Exit them so they are no longer slowing your BlackBerry down.

You will find this will bring your BB right back to reboot speed. When do you need to reboot, opening and pulling the battery is not required. Just hold down ALT-RightShift-DEL and it will do a complete reboot (terminating those extra applications) and bringing it back fresh.

Hey there,

I'm actually pretty aware of what apps are running because I'm constantly switching between tasks with alt-esc and in general I close applications I'm not using. (I removed BB messenger in leiu of Jivetalk for instance.)

The problem is that after a long periods of time I still begin to see the hourglass more and more.

I have not tried the soft reset yet, though. Next time.

mbrobinson no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter
    Hey there,

I'm actually pretty aware of what apps are running because I'm constantly switching between tasks with alt-esc and in general I close applications I'm not using. (I removed BB messenger in leiu of Jivetalk for instance.)

The problem is that after a long periods of time I still begin to see the hourglass more and more.

I have not tried the soft reset yet, though. Next time.

I have found that regardless of how diligent I am in closing unused apps, the Curve simply slows to a crawl unless rebooted daily. It gets to the point where I cannot even answer an incoming call -- as soon as I press the talk key I get an hourglass and by the time I can speak the caller has made it into voicemail.

The only way I have solved this so far is by soft rebooting daily [ALT+Rightshift+DEL]. Does anyone know if memory expansion can/will solve this problem?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

I do a battery pull on mine almost every day but not because I want but because I am the only one in my shop with a Cingular sim and have to use it to test customer's phones.

Zo

Quote Originally Posted by mbrobinson
    The only way I have solved this so far is by soft rebooting daily [ALT+Rightshift+DEL]. Does anyone know if memory expansion can/will solve this problem?
    Memory expansion? I don't believe you can expand the memory of the device. You can increase the storage with a microSD, but that won't cure memory ills. Even if you were able to, it would only treat--not solve this memory leak issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast