Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello everyone! Just want to start out by saying I think pinstack is amazing. I've ... BlackBerry Curve forum

HanHookie no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Battery Drain w/ 8300

Advertisement

Hello everyone!

Just want to start out by saying I think pinstack is amazing. I've learned so much just from snooping around on the site. Thanks to everyone involved for all the info. Now on to my bizzare problem. I recently bought an 8300 (about 1 month ago), and am having all sorts of problems keeping it on!

Let me explain from the beginning...
    - bought an 8300.
    - charged it for the recommeneded 10-15 hours (actually i charged it 16.5 hours)
    - take it off the charger (plugged into the wall unit) at around 10am when I left for work.
    - accepted 1 call, made 1 call. total talk time=25min. listened to about 4 songs=10-12min.
    - get to work, do not touch my 8300, untill 3pm, when it vibrates telling me that my radio has been shut off due to insufficient battery power.

WTF?!

I read all over that folks are getting AT LEAST 1 full day out of their battery, while others get 1-2 days. And these folks are the cool ones w/ the bluetooths, and gps's and im-ing apps (jivetalk blah blah). I'm not doing any of that, I CANT! My flippin battery dies after 4-5 hours.

I took the battery back to the point of sale assuming it was a defective battery. Got a new one. Charged this sucker for 24 hours, just to make sure. Of course, same crap behavior. Only 4-5 hours of use.

Took the phone back, got a new 8300, and a new battery. (So mind you, this is the third battery, and the second 8300).

Charged everything up properly. Next day guess what? Radio dies at around 4pm.

I ask again...WTF.

I do not use a holster, I have set my screen to 60brightness. Autoshutoff is 20sec. Ive wiped my BB's 3 times each, using Javaloader, and loading the AT&T OS. I clear all of my SMS messages, and phone logs. I'm running the latest AT&T OS (4.2 i believe) and do not have any 3rd party apps which transfer data back and forth constantly (no GPS anything, no bluetooth, no ramble, no nada).

So please help. I have AT&T (cingular whatever the hell) sending me another replacement "kit" as they call it. So I'll give the whole dance another shot. You guys have helped me so much more than they ever could, so please give me a shout! What am I doing wrong? Am I supersonically electromagnetically charged so that any lithium battery powered device instantly drains upon my techno touch? I do watch LOST, maybe I am magnetic. But seriously, please help guys! I'm going crazy....iphone here I come

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: Battery Drain w/ 8300

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ How much of a signal do you have when using the phone? Sometimes certain buildings and other places don't have a good signal and this kills the battery. I know this from experience. I took a weekend trip and by the end of the day I had to charge my phone. I have been home now for a few days and my battery life has returned to what it used to be.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Give your phone a few days, you will not get max battery life for about a week. Give it some time and a couple charges and you'll see your battery life get much better.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

dagomez no está en línea Stack level 2

EricaJ is right. If you are experiencing a low signal or SOS comes on your screen a lot, it could reduce your battery life. Do you have headaches when you leave your office????? LOL

Hey Everyone

Thanks so much for your responses. EricaJ: I have strong signal most of the time. Actually I've never NOT had signal. I'm in my office right now, and I have full signal strength.

DCook: Really? I'm going to try anything at this point, but I don't understand how the battery life will get better? I really hope it does though...

dagomez: hahaha, yes I do have headaches when I leave...because of my screen resolution though 1920X1200...

Thanks again guys, I'm still waiting on the new replacement 'kit' (new 8300) from the warranty department @ AT&T. Anything else I should look out for, or do untill I get the new 8300? Gracias in advance...

VZDubtk no está en línea Stack level 5

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i might also charge it less the first time. I just charge until it gets full and automatically stops charging. Cause when its full the phone stops charging and still connected to power

sarnzzle no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Yeah, I've never heard of charging it for that long. I would stop charging when the battery is full.

That's strange because printed on the back of the 2nd replacement batteries packaging reads "charge for 10-15 hours the first three times you charge your battery" So of course I charged it for more than that, just to do it (16.5 to be exact). Then I also read posts about 'topping off your battery' meaning, keep charging it even after the indicator shows a fully charged batter.

But reguarless, this still doesn't explain why my battery only lasts for 4-5 hours. Ive gone through 3 batteries and 2 different 8300's, all with the same behaviour. It must be something I'm doing....the way i caress my blackberry...the way i gaze @ her...this is making me crazy.

egale no está en línea Stack level 1

If you have tried different batteries and different units, it has to be something else. First, have you used the same charger or different chargers? If you have tried with different chargers as well, I would think it has something to do with the network in your area or how AT&T has you set up or maybe even your sim card. Charging you battery for 16.5 hours is not going to make any difference nor will trying it for a few days. You may gain some extra run time after everything breaks in but your battery should get you through the day.

Depending on usage, my 8300 is usually between 60 - 70% by the end of the day. It needs to be charged every day but it doesn't die by itself after 5 hours.

It sounds like something is wrong so that the blackberry is constantly trying to find or keep a signal or download something. I would keep on customer support to try and figure it out and maybe they can reset something on their end. Wish I could be more specific but it doesn't sound like a curve or battery problem.

Hey Egale

Thanks for the info. I have not tried different wall chargers, but I have many computers, and have charged the various blackberry's on various computers using various usb cables. All with the same results. I'll ask AT&T, but it doesnt look like the phone is trying to access anything constantly, I imagine I would know if it's transfering data because of the arrows in the upper right hand corner which indicate data transfer, correct? Anyway. Any additional info will help guys, thanks so much for the info thus far, ill keep everyone posted.

Should I ask for a brand new sim card with the replacement 8300 that Im getting? Maybe the sim and SD card have something to do with the severe battery drain? I'm so desperate at this point. I'm starting to think the seasonal rains have something to do w/ my battery life...

egale no está en línea Stack level 1

I would ask for a new sim, and try testing the phone without the sd card. Who knows, maybe thats your problem.

GBallew no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2404b3a8

It's also possible to get two bad phones in a row. It seems less than possible, but working in an at&t store, I have seen it happen. I would highly reccomend replacing your SIM and SD cards, sometimes some really weird stuff can effect the battery life (Even seasonal Rains ). I use my Curve pretty heavily and have Jivetalk running all the time, and my battery can survive (literally) for about 2 days even...pretty weird, seems longer than what it should be...
    Cingular is now the new at&t

waaWaWeeWa!! Ok, so I've had my 8300 off of the charger for about an hour and 48 mintues now...and it's still @ 100% battery! Before (as in yesterday) an hour off the charger after a full nights charge would result in 93-87% battery. hahah, the simple pleasures of BB ownership.

egale and BGallew, I think your right...what I did was take out the SD card before I charged it for the night. It's still out now, and the phone is behaving normally (so far!). I've made a couple calls, checked voice mail...so total talk time is about 15min. This is great. I didn't mention this earlier (doesnt matter now) but my phone was very hot. It seemed like the battery was working overoverover time, i have a bb utility, and the temp was always @ 109deg. F., give or take. Sooo in this case, I guess it had to be the SD card...

I purchased h**p://www.tiny.cc/b8RQ0 from newegg, and it seemed to work fine...I formatted it when inserting it into the phone the 1st time...but after a couple weeks...I had to reformat it again, as the 8300 said it wasnt recognized (i got some error, i forget exactly). it couldnt read the data. anyway, that diseased SD card is outta the phone now, and my poor 8300 is behaving normally now. I hate to have stressed her so. I guess the question now is.....

Which SD cards are/were tested with the 8300? I want those exactly. No generic jibber jabber. Any ideas? Mother google will tell me, but maybe you guys have personal experience with really nice SD cards... thanks for everyones help! ill keep you posted over the next few days (i still have a replacement 8300 coming in today around 4:30...)

dtx
    dtx no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    207B3A96

I use SanDisk cards (1GB), and a Nokia branded card(256MB) with no issues. I suggest going brand name, and you should be fine

edit:
    Maybe there's a difference between the 1v and 3v cards, or whatever the different available voltages are. Most are dual voltage, was your SD Card dual?
    --
    DTx
    PIN: 207B3A96
    Bold 9000
    Rogers BIS
    OS 4.6.0.150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast