Hi, I am a new BB user, having just purchased a new Curve. I love ... BlackBerry Curve forum

dpfels no está en línea Stack level 2

basic question: power down

Advertisement

Hi,
    I am a new BB user, having just purchased a new Curve. I love the device, but there are a few questions that I need sorted out.
    I have set the 8300 to shut off at night-I don't particularly want it vibrating for every new email, as it usually charges on the desk in my bedroom. This doesn't always work. For some reason, it is turning itself back on during the night. I am wondering if setting alarms/reminders during the night reactivates the 8300.
    A related question: If the 8300 is off at night and I set an alarm to wake me in the morning, does the alarm still work.
    I guess I am unclear as to which features are shut off when I power down the 8300.
    Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dan

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

Re: basic question: power down

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Dan... I haven't had the Curve come on in the middle of the night but it has reactivated and appropriately alarmed me on schedule...

My guess is however if u have a calendar item set to "remind" u the it will turn back on to deliver the notification...

neon0107 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32B0A0AD

Dan, I do not have the curve, I have the 8703e. I had the same issues when I started using the alarm clock feature. There are two things that I did that work for me. If I power down the BB the alarm will still go off like it is suppose. Pretty cool. The other option that I found works for me, to avoid getting emails in the middle of the night, is just turning off wireless off.

Hope this helps and congrats on the new BB. Hope you enjoy it

supafli20 no está en línea Stack level 2

Yes the alarm will still be activated even if you have powered off the handset. Do you manually power off the curve every night or have set the auto on/off in options? That might make a difference? But like neon said you could also just turn wirless off or you could also create a "night" profile where you don't have any alerts for emails or calls, etc.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

athenslb57 no está en línea Stack level 2

I created a profile called "night." I set it to mute for email, text and anything else but phone calls. I always want my phone to ring in case someone needs something since its my only phone.

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by dpfels
    I have set the 8300 to shut off at night-I don't particularly want it vibrating for every new email, as it usually charges on the desk in my bedroom. This doesn't always work. For some reason, it is turning itself back on during the night. I am wondering if setting alarms/reminders during the night reactivates the 8300.
    A related question: If the 8300 is off at night and I set an alarm to wake me in the morning, does the alarm still work.

Just create your own "Night" profile like it was suggested above and set everything quiet except phone calls (in case someone calls) and the alarm. Though there is a profile called Phone Only and it might be worth checking if the Alarm Clock breaks through that, saving you the hassle of creating a new profile.

My 8300 and my 8700 previous to that never turn on by themselves unless there's an alarm clock set to go off.

gnosis no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2404B10E

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

gnosis no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2404B10E

Just select phone only in the ringer profiles if u don't want email notification & etc.

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ good advice - I didn't even know bout phone only trick - thx

I thought about a night only profile. Here's the problem: I have a subwoofer under my desk in my bedroom that is always on. The incoming EDGE signal for the email makes that ticking noise in the speaker, so even with the tone/vibration off, there is a soft reminder that the BB is working.
    I had read about this radio interference problem a couple of weeks ago, just before I got the 8300. It seems to be a big problem for me in many places, including my office, where the BB affectes my computer speakers. I just switched from Verizon, which never had this problem. I would have thought that AT&T/Cingular would have sorted out their shielding by now, though maybe it is not possible with the frequency they have chosen.

I guess for now I will need to power off entirely. I think that I have only been doing the soft power down (pushing and holding the power button on the front.) Does the scheduled off/on in the options do a full power down? I gather that the full power down takes care of turning off the cell service-disconnecting from AT&T?
    Thanks for all the advice!
    Dan

Hi,
    One other question: I created a night profile. Is there any way to schedule a change in profile automatically?
    I can, obviously, do this manually, but a scheduled change would be even better.
    Thanks again,
    Dan