Hey all, I've been keeping up with news and video demonstrations of Google's mobile OS ... BlackBerry Curve forum

jfpannone no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask

Question Barcode Scanning app?

Advertisement

Hey all,

I've been keeping up with news and video demonstrations of Google's mobile OS Android and saw an app called Shop Savvy. It reads a barcode using the built in camera and sends you a bunch of info on it.

Does anyone know if there is similar software for Curve 8310?

I haven't found any, but don't see why it wouldn't be able to handle it. The G1 with Android seems be using the camera to view the barcode, the web to find prices, and GPS to find in local stores.

Unless there is something I'm missing, such as a laser that reads the barcode in the G1.

jonzh no está en línea Stack level 1
    yes, www neoreader com this is a free software you can download to BB 8310 (I use one) to scan barcode and get linked to the web on BB directly.

jfpannone no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Thanks jonzh!

I've installed successfully on AT&T 8310 with OS 4.5.0.55 with bb iPhone theme (83xx).

The only issue I ran into (for anyone else interested in the app) was when opening for the first time. The app prompts you to follow some seemingly straight forward instructions. At this point you must push the trackball in to proceed. A dialogue box that has some info and a "view" button will pop-up. After that it should be self explanatory.

This maybe because of incompatibility issues with iPhone theme and the app, or OS 4.5.0.55 and the app (Not sure which and not willing to roll-back to older OS to find out).

I have yet to try the app, but will post back when with any functionality issues seeing as the app was released 9/11/2008.