Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

After updating to Optus last night, I can't seem to complete a successful Backup... I ... BlackBerry Curve forum

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

Backup Error after New OS install

Advertisement

After updating to Optus last night, I can't seem to complete a successful Backup...

I get quite a bit through a backup process and then - Communication Error > the data was not recognized by the device - - - it happens right during the Profiles segment of backup up and prevents a successful file from being established

is anyone familiar with this error during a backup and more importantly - - - the fix?

Thx gang -

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

superdad no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Re: Backup Error after New OS install

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Before u do a backup click on advanced and backup everything but profiles (deselect the profile) that should work.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Quote Originally Posted by superdad
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Before u do a backup click on advanced and backup everything but profiles (deselect the profile) that should work.
    Yup that's all you have to do, it happened to me also..

Advance back up, clear the profile and then do a regular back up, that should fix the problem.

PIN/ID
    No-More

Ok - so I hit Advanced and I see 2 Profile related things there 1- Profiles 2- Profile Options... and the choices at the bottom of the window are Clear or Refresh -

I should Clear both of these profile related things or just 1? Curiously, this has no negative effect on the device right?

Shamefully paranoid > ~jscott

edit - - - just took a closer look and Profile is greyed out... I can only choose to refresh it not clear it... and refreshing has not effect at all - hmmm

What does moving all of the choices over the the left box accomplish?
    Last edited by jscottbarnes; 07-15-2007 at 08:07 AM.

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

superdad no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by jscottbarnes
    Ok - so I hit Advanced and I see 2 Profile related things there 1- Profiles 2- Profile Options... and the choices at the bottom of the window are Clear or Refresh -

I should Clear both of these profile related things or just 1? Curiously, this has no negative effect on the device right?

Shamefully paranoid > ~jscott

edit - - - just took a closer look and Profile is greyed out... I can only choose to refresh it not clear it... and refreshing has not effect at all - hmmm

What does moving all of the choices over the the left box accomplish?
    The reason why u are getting the error is because of some error in the profiles. so the idea is to to do a back up of everything but profiles. am sure there are other ways to do it, but let me explain how i do it. open backup/restore, click on advanced. highlight everything on the right using shift and deselect 'profiles'. and click on the arrow facing left. this will do a backup of all selected items but profiles. there is no negative effect on the device, but some data about the profiles doesnt get backed up thats it.
    All the best!

PIN/ID
    No-More

Thx for the details superpop (sorry, that's what i call my dad)

Did the backup that way and it went thru smoothly... hopefully, on the next regular backup things get saved there too - I'll ck out my profiles to see what may have changed -

Later bro

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i had to clear my profile, after clearing it I was able to back it up regularly. What happens tho when u clear it is all ur ringtones such as sms or email etc, will be set to default and your just gonna need to set everything back up.

PIN/ID
    No-More

Quote Originally Posted by flash24
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i had to clear my profile, after clearing it I was able to back it up regularly. What happens tho when u clear it is all ur ringtones such as sms or email etc, will be set to default and your just gonna need to set everything back up.
    yep - i just finished doing that re-set up of all the ringers and everything - all mine reverted back to a muted setting... hated it - had them just where i wanted them ... but all good now - change is good, right?

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Glad you got it working. Just a little information about your mention of "refresh" and "clear". If you click or refresh, it will reload the complete list if items that can be transferred using the advanced backup/restore. If you click on Clear, it will return the selected item to the default state for that item.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    No-More

Oddly enough - after getting the backup to work by moving everything over except profiles - i tried a backup after that... same Profile error!!!

So, will I no longer be able to back up and save my profile options...? That doesn't work for me. I don't want to have to reset them all the time - What now?

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

There must be a setting or ringtone filename that it just doesn't like. Do you have a previous backup that has most of you stuff. You might try to load just the profiles from that one to see if that helps.
    Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr

greggov no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24047dae

I had this same error for a bit too. It drove me nuts. I wiped and reinstalled the OS a few times. I tracked it down to being caused by the visual voicemail program, SimulSays.

I would reload all 3rd party apps one by one, doing a backup after each one. Sure enough, after installing SimulSays, I got this error. Wipe everything again, then installed everything BUT SimulSays, and it works fine.

Now if that program actually causes the problem or is just a weird coincidence, I don't know.

If you have that program, or probably anything that affects profiles, try uninstalling it and see if it works.

PIN/ID
    No-More

I did have SimulSays on for about a week and recently removed and deleted it... wasn't quite for me -
    Now I can't get any email notifications to sound, regardless of the setting in Profiles -

Phone rings fine, sms notify properly... just not working correctly for emails from any of my accts... can't hear a thing -

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

PIN/ID
    No-More

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    There must be a setting or ringtone filename that it just doesn't like. Do you have a previous backup that has most of you stuff. You might try to load just the profiles from that one to see if that helps.
    Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    Thx Roger -

Figured out how to restore a single file... however, the file that I want to restore from doesn't activate an arrow to move it over... the arrows remain greyed out when I select Profile from a back up database.

Any thoughts here ?
    Last edited by jscottbarnes; 07-15-2007 at 12:50 PM.

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I can't think why you can't restore the profiles from a previous backup.

Can you remember the last update or change you made to your profiles. Something between the the last successful backup and the one that failed. Maybe a new exception with special characters in a name or something.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast