I don't have a pc & wasn't planning on getting one any time soon & ... BlackBerry Curve forum

knightstar no está en línea Stack level 2

backing up w/out pc

Advertisement

I don't have a pc & wasn't planning on getting one any time soon & was wondering if it was possible to back up information(memos,tasks,addresses,ect.)on an external hard drive &/or other handheld devices like for instance a Dell Axim & the process(es)involved.Thank you all and Happy Holidays.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Re: backing up w/out pc

nope sorry. it only works (for now) with Desktop Manager on Windows, even Mac users cannot.

Forgive my ignorance but doesn't the Axim have windows?There has to be a way Cliff-even if its out of my league(crossing fingers).

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

It's windows mobile isn't it and not full blown windows?

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

A dell axim? I thought that ran pocket pc 2003 or a version like that. I don't think the axim runs smartphone software. Even if it did run windows mobile, you couldn't backup your BB to it. You need a pc.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Last edited by Lavagirl; 12-27-2007 at 09:36 PM.

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ how much of what they want to back up can be sent to a google account or something like yahoo go?

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by monica.simons View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ how much of what they want to back up can be sent to a google account or something like yahoo go?
    easily? none.
    Google now has a "sync" application that integrates with Calendar to do a backup of that, but not anything I know of to backup the emails, address book, text/picture messages, call log, profile settings, and other customizations.

What I was planning on prebackberry was the Axim(recently discontinued),that's why I spoke of that particular PDA.Id just be willing to buy something of the sort if it would help,& i never thought there was a partial windows-I always thought windows was windows though I don't doubt you.I guess I've just came to believe that there was 'strictly mobile' users out there-this is the path I've began & it was my intention to do all I could w/mobile devices before I moved on to a pc.

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by knightstar View Post
    ... i never thought there was a partial windows-I always thought windows was windows...
    unfortunately they cannot put all of the functionality of Windows into a Windows Mobile device. There is too much code to be shrunk, otherwise Windows on regular PC's wouldn't take up roughly 10gb at install. Since it is a striped down version it cannot run the same file types, and depends on programs coded for the mobile platform.

tj2311111 Guest

I say you just buy a PC. Not only can you then have a way to store data from you BB but you have a way to upgrade the OS on your BB. It saves you the headache later. Or get a laptop.

Not interested in the easy way-as sure as I'm alive,there is a resolution(s)to this thread-nothings impossible,especially when it comes to this type of shi@.Mabey someone'll come through & point me in the right direction,mabey I'll put it togather on my own or just mabey short of a doctorite in software engineering this task truly is 'relatively' impossible.Any which way,my objective remains the same-"backing up w/out a pc". Via conclusion,ill be sure to share w/you all my M.O.-P.S:Much oblige to all those who've taken the time to reply-past,present & future.

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by knightstar View Post
    Not interested in the easy way-as sure as I'm alive,there is a resolution(s)to this thread-nothings impossible,especially when it comes to this type of shi@.Mabey someone'll come through & point me in the right direction,mabey I'll put it togather on my own or just mabey short of a doctorite in software engineering this task truly is 'relatively' impossible.Any which way,my objective remains the same-"backing up w/out a pc". Via conclusion,ill be sure to share w/you all my M.O.-P.S:Much oblige to all those who've taken the time to reply-past,present & future.
    I really don't think you will see a "solution" as you are wishing. PocketMac, the Desktop Manager for Mac's, still cannot do backup/restore (among a few other features) and that company works so closely with RIM that RIM actually licensed their software to give free directly from blackberry.com (the company used to charge for it like Missing Sync as you can see here up until earlier this year).

But good luck waiting on a solution. Hopefully it will happen but I do not count on it.