Good morning stackers.I was wondering if there was a way to back-up third party applications(specifically ... BlackBerry Curve forum

knightstar no está en línea Stack level 2

backing up third party applications

Advertisement

Good morning stackers.I was wondering if there was a way to back-up third party applications(specifically the ones we pay for)so if say something goes wrong with the phone,your not out the money you put into it.

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Re: backing up third party applications

Yes, use your DM, I backup everything. Never could b u ota apps though.
    -----------------------------------
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

knightstar no está en línea Stack level 2
    What about handango apps?

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

Yes, you can back up all 3rd party applications whether loaded via DM or OTA, by making PARTIAL use of the Switch Device Wizard.

If you do a search here, you should be able to find the procedure. If no one can find it by the time I check this thread, I'll link it when I get home. (That said, I don't often browse the 8300 forums, so someone can jog me via PM if no one found the method and I haven't posted).

Works fine, I just recently did a jl_cmdr wipe, restore from backup (contacts, calendar, profiles, etc. only) and then all 3rd party applications.
    -Klotar
    Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

To save your third party applications to your PC you can use Javaloader.

Check this thread: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...488#post544488

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

reddog is correct, that'd be the way to do it.

However, if that procedure scares you (downloading executables, typing in commands in a dos box, editing .alx's, etc.) using the Switch Device Wizard might be for you.

Here is the thread: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...-_backups.html

And to save a mouseclick, here is the pertinent post:

Here's a quick guide I put together for the IT folks at my law firm for backing up all third-party apps. This backs up the applications only and not any data or settings. You need at least desktop manager 4.2 (I think). 1. Open desktop manager 2. select switch device wizard 3. select the first option: "switch blackberry devices" 4. hit next a few times and then enter the device password 5. when it asks, deselect "user data and settings" and "include messages" ONLY "third-party applications" should have a check mark 6. hit next 7. when it's finished, it will ask you to connect the new device DO NOT PRESS NEXT 8. On the PC navigate to c:/Documents and Settings/[user]/Local Settings/TEMP ([user] is the username i.e., jsmith) 9. In the temp folder there will be a folder entitled with the blackberry's PIN 10. Copy that folder to another directory (e.g.., My documents). THIS FOLDER CONTAINS A BACKUP OF ALL THIRD-PARTY PROGRAMS AND AN ALX FILE FOR REINTSTALLING THEM. 11. cancel the switch device wizard. To reinstall applications to any blackberry: 1. connect device to PC, open desktop manager, select Application loader, hit next, enter password (if necessary), and select "Add" 2.. Navigate to the directory where the Folder entitled with the person's pin is located and select the file name [PIN].alx (where [PIN] is the pin) 3. Select Next a few time, and all of the third-party applications will be reloaded to the device. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Credit goes to Spamdumpster.

So, to restore all 3rd party apps, you navigate to the directory copy that you made and load up (in my case, it'd be 23fa55ee.alx) and it loads all of the 3rd party apps in one swoop. Then restore your calendar, contacts, profiles, etc. from your normal .ipd backup file.

Some config files from 3rd party apps and registration info might not be restored (using this method or javaloader). If you are truly switching devices from one dead one (where backups were done beforehand) to another of the same or different model, standard gotcha's apply: registration info is tied to your PIN. But you don't have to find the apps and reinstall.
    -Klotar
    Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.