what does the backup/restore function in the desktop manager backup? I'm looking to exchange my ... BlackBerry Curve forum

kpfury no está en línea Stack level 2

Backing up data

Advertisement

what does the backup/restore function in the desktop manager backup? I'm looking to exchange my 8300 at the store for another (been crashing a few times) and want to backup all my emails, address book, and calendar items. thnx

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

Re: Backing up data

Yes the backup will address book. Calendar. Memos. Task messages. Password keeper. Etc. It wil backup information on your device except for downloaded programs or themes. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

will backup/restore work with another device or is it specific to the device/pin? I thought that was what switch device wizard was for?
    now i'm curious. gettin a new one soon!
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Kayos, the backup/restore is NOT specific to a device. Not even to a specific family. In fact before the switch Device was added to the desktop manager, it was the recommended method of transfering user data between devices. That's how I switched from my 7290 to my 8700. The wizard does a better job ad is easier to do but that's about it.

Rcbjr.
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Thanks for the info, I was curious about that for the new BB
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

Mobiman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2071348F

As far as I know backup should backup all user data to restore to another device. I haven't tried backup restore function because I'm on BES.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~it will backup just about everything except any OTA prgms or themes. Just did what u describe earlier 2day..

gruv15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2404AE69

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Check with your local store. They may have desktop manager set up on one of their computers. That's what I do for all my BlackBerry customers. I use the switch device app and it works like a charm. It usually even transfers all your current settings.
    You can also take your laptop(if that's what you have) with you to the store and do it yourself. Before I got our IT guy to install DM on my computer, I used to always bring mine so I was able to do so.
    If you only have a desktop and the store doesn't provide that service, you can definitely use the back up and restore. It works just fine. Good luck and let us know how things go.

robchow no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Re: Backing up data

What is the best way to backup and then restore OTA if DM does not support it?

Thanks

kpfury no está en línea Stack level 2

ARGH! i restored my backup, and my address book is fine, but none of my calendar events carried over! I had like 40 bdays set as recurrences, bah...

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

I been searching for a thread on what to do if the "Switch Device Wizard" doesn't detect the new device. Can anyone point me there? tia
    -----------------------------------
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

PS...I found the how to....on OS upgrade not recognizing device, wonder if the battery pull and detect device would help on this? tia

I realize this is for the 8300, this is the thread my search turned up.
    Last edited by Lowrider; 09-11-2007 at 01:58 PM.
    -----------------------------------
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1