I'm on a business trip to Canada. I have a Tmobile Curve and I was ... BlackBerry Curve forum

soeun no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    242E18DE

Avoid Roaming Charges with Curve?

Advertisement

I'm on a business trip to Canada. I have a Tmobile Curve and I was sitting in the hotel lobby and I turned off my mobile network connection and turned on my wi fi connection and then it says "Staybridge" for my connection, but then a minute later it says "Tmobile - Staybridge" with the UMA so I was like wow cool and then I decided to call home and it was able to go through just fine so I'm wondering am I still getting Roaming charges even though it says "T-Mobile - Staybridge" on my phone instead of Rogers?

Help a BB Newb out please!

BTW I love this phone. Never going back to windows mobile!
    Last edited by soeun; 02-12-2008 at 05:45 AM.

lauren25 no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Avoid Roaming Charges with Curve?

I would contact your service provider and make sure that you won't get any roaming charges and how to avoid them.
    ~Lauren

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

If the wireless portion of the device is off, then you should be safe since the call is traveling over UMA as a VOIP call back to the states. There have been multiple threads about people doing this in other countries. You will still get international charges if you make one to the same country you are in when you travel outside of the US. T-Mobile's official stance on this (as we were explained) is "No Comment" lol. We took that to mean that they knew about it but didn't support it, encourage, or discourage the use.

Zo

PIN/ID
    242E18DE

I just talked to T Mobile and they say I will be charged for Roaming because I picked up a Canadian IP while I'm connected to UMA? I don't know because the Rep I was talking to, didn't sound too confident on what she said. Anybody else share to shed some light on this? I really don't want to get Roaming charges while using the UMA feature.

mjkone no está en línea Stack level 2

You will not get roaming charges on UMA at all.However, if you do not have the hotspot@home feature, it will use minutes from your plan.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    242E18DE

Quote Originally Posted by mjkone View Post
    You will not get roaming charges on UMA at all.However, if you do not have the hotspot@home feature, it will use minutes from your plan.

Do you have anything to back up that claim? I really don't wanna take that chance of getting roaming charges. I will greatly appreciate it!

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by soeun View Post
    I just talked to T Mobile and they say I will be charged for Roaming because I picked up a Canadian IP while I'm connected to UMA? I really don't want to get Roaming charges while using the UMA feature.
    -----
    I would urge you to call back, ask for a supervisor to clarify the situation.

In addition I would log onto your account on T-MO's web site. You will find lot's of useful info there.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

We are doing this at my company to reduce international calling rates. If you are on UMA, no roaming applies because cell towers aren't being used. It treats it as if you were in your home. Some hotels offer wifi but block the ports which would allow the UMA connection.

Let me put it this way, my account manager at T-Mobile says that this is not something they are advertising (probably because they stand to lose a lot of money in roaming charges). We have been doing this for several months while deciding if we want a corporate contract with T-Mobile.

PIN/ID
    242E18DE

Thanks a lot for all the help. Much appreciated!