I am wondering about this (first I noticed it)... The Wife's 8310 indicates it has ... BlackBerry Curve forum

sdeeter19555 no está en línea Stack level 2

Available Memory

Advertisement

I am wondering about this (first I noticed it)...

The Wife's 8310 indicates it has around 20MB of free memory, and it has very few apps running. I have deleted a batch of unwanted stuff, and the only thing she's really running is Facebook and Weatherbug (besides the typical browsers, etc.)

I recently installed MemoryUp Personal to see things and it shows the phone only has 44MB of total memory...shouldn't that be closer to 64MB??? The 20MB remaining sounds about "normal" when compared to my old 8700c, but the 44MB total sounds off??

fatboy97 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Phonescoop says 64MB... 20MB sounds good to me too... I found Blackberry 101: How to Free Up Memory on your BlackBerry Smartphone to help with removing unwanted stuff from the device.

rifraf2009 no está en línea Stack level 4
    I have a pearl, and am a serious memory junkie. The pearl, as far as memory goes is like the 83xx curves in that they only have 64mb. I have deleted EVERYTHING that is not needed or wanted, and only have facebook, 1 of my custom themes, the game PacMan, CaptureIt, MaxMem, Soft Reset, and a short cut to the weather channel. I STAY at 21 to 22 mb. I have actually used the app you are talking about, didn't care for it. But that has to be talking about how much memory is being used, if she has 20mb of free space.

20mb is actually very good. She should not really have any problems until it drops below 12mb.

I'm ok with having 20MB free, and I know that's acceptable...its the "Total Memory" of 44MB that has me perplexed. With what I have removed, it should be closer to 30MB free (since I have it similar to my 8700c, for comparison).

Total memory should be indicated as 64MB, which its not. I will need to look at it, but I'm pretty sure its telling me 24MB used and 20MB free...which is a total of only 44MB, not 64MB that it should have. This 8310 acts a little sluggish, and I'm wondering if this might have something to do with that...if there is an issue with the memory.

The memory program seems to work, it shows the correct memory on my 9700.

you are right. It SHOULD be 64mb of total memory, not 44. But when you go to options/status, does it comfirm there that there is 20 some odd mb of free space? As far as the app is concerned, I personally did not like it, not to say that it doesn't work, but it just didn't seem to work the way I thought it was supposed to on my pearl. It was supposed to "boost" memory and recover any memory that had been lost, but for me doing a battery pull did just as much, if not more. If she texts, or emails, or stays on facebook alot, and doesn't clean out the old "junk" every so often that will slow it down. But, even though it says that there is 44mb total memory, I just don't believe that is accurate. Unless, it is referring to how much total memory that can be used, meaning let's say the phone needs at least 20mb to operate or function, basic device functions. Which would allow 44mb for all of the apps and other software that may already be, and could be installed. Make sense? Of course you could connect to DM and go into add/remove applications and actually tally up exactly how much space is being used. If I'm not mistaken, I do believe somewhere in DM you can find out exactly how much memory is being used and how much free space there is. Maybe someone else can answer that, if not I will look and see myself when I get home tonight.

I was just curious so I just went to getjar.com and downloaded MemoryUp. It shows that I have 39mb total memory, 33mb free space, and 6mb being used. I then went to options/status and it says I have 21mb free. Knowing my pearl has a total of 64mb total, and 21mb available, I would have to say the readings from this app are inaccurate. Unless someone else could give an explination for it.

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf2009 View Post
    I was just curious so I just went to getjar.com and downloaded MemoryUp. It shows that I have 39mb total memory, 33mb free space, and 6mb being used. I then went to options/status and it says I have 21mb free. Knowing my pearl has a total of 64mb total, and 21mb available, I would have to say the readings from this app are inaccurate. Unless someone else could give an explination for it.

Hmmm, interesting...it shows the correct memory on my 9700...wonder if its a OS thing?