Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone feel the need for speed??!! Ok I am a loyal AT&T customer and I ... BlackBerry Curve forum

McLuuvin no está en línea Stack level 2

ATT network vs. Sprint network!!

Advertisement

Anyone feel the need for speed??!! Ok I am a loyal AT&T customer and I recently did a test between two Blackberries. One from AT&T and the other from Sprint (both Blackberry were the 8800 from AT&T and 8830 from Sprint). I hate to say this as bad a reputation Sprint has, Sprint blows AT&T network away!! I experimented by using the Blackberry browser and visited websites and all sites that I visited including pinstack Sprint always won hands down!! I surf a lot on the web and I don't like the slow speed of the edge network. I have a curve and I am waiting on Sprint's curve to come out and test it some more side by side as far as speed is concerned for 30 days. If I get great coverage, I am willing to switch to Sprint even though all my friends work for AT&T. In my opinion, don't judge a book by its cover. And Sprint's cover is tainted but they are actually restructuring their customer service and the store that I went to said that they admit having bad relationships with customers due to their former CEO which they fired.. So the new CEO that you see in the Sprint "simply everything" plan is making Sprint a better company and he knows that he has an uphill battle ahead. And if you're wondering, NO I DO NOT WORK for Sprint!! And I'm not getting paid to say this on their behalf. I did this test because I get annoyed at the slow speed of AT&T's Edge network. I want a fast phone network and I don't care who it is from. I CRAVE the SPEED!!! I want it fast and I want it now!!!!!!

salbo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31884ae9
    Yeah boy! In the past few months sprint has gotten way better with everything! I am with sprint and now that they are getting on the ball I have never had a better phone company. They are treating their BB users very nicely. The new curve is going to rock the worlds of many and I think pull sprint out of this hole they have dug. Good things to come from Americas most hated wireless company people!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Mr D no está en línea Stack level 3
    Sprint and Verizon data speeds are faster... this is known and nothing new. Check the coverage and if it suits you then go for it. Remember though, ATT will always have the phones first. Look how long it's taking Sprint to get the Curve... and the 9000 is just on the horizon.
    REVIEW: SEIDIO HOLSTER, BACK DOOR, RUBBERIZED CASE, BEST SKINS EVER!

Contains A LOT of pictures and if you have any questions, let me know!

bluefairy1971 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Sorry, but i had Sprint for over 3 years and they cut my phone off over .49 cents....49 cents...................and their customer service still sucks sorry, but my friend still goes into tears at times fighting with them, she is switching to AT&T this weekend as a matter of fact.
    I'll stick to At&T, way better service.

moonpie23 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2402DDDB
    BE careful with Sprint...I was a past customer. I know their data connection is better but there coverage and reception is horrible. If quality coverage and phone service is not critical to you then you may be happy with Sprint..

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    AT&T's HSDPA is nearly twice as fast as Sprint's EVDO, but without an HSDPA Blackberry, Sprint is faster at this point.

And that's the beauty of a "30 Day Trial" period. you can try it everywhere by not porting your number yet and you're not committed to anything. I will be using both my AT&T and Sprint phone(which will be the test phone) side by side for data coverage and use the voice and whatever coverage that everyone is griping about. This is what everyone should be doing which is testing out networks before porting over your number and committing to a carrier. I think its plain, simple and very easy solution. People live in different regions which has their pros and cons for each carrier. So coverage will always depend on where you are most of the time. Test each network for work, play and simple day to day use. Take advantage of every carriers TRIAL period which is the only true way to figure out which works best for each individual.

Speed and Coverage is what matters to me most. As far as customer service, I will just go into a Sprint Store nearby. They can't ignore you if you're there in person..LOL!! But all in all give every carrier a try.

MannyPR no está en línea Stack level 1
    Your power company, cable company and AT&T will cut your service for .49 cents too why would you expect any different from Sprint. I have been a Sprint customer for over 6 years and have seen their customer service improve leaps and bounds over the last year. Their coverage is great where I live, if I get out of the coverage area I roam into Verizon or Alltel without paying a penny and Internet speed is fast everywhere I go. To top it off the new $99 plan is da bomb, no more worrying about overages. If you are not a customer that needs a lot of babysitting AT&T has nothing on Sprint.

dhyde79 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319FB186

Lets compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by BenMarvin View Post
    AT&T's HSDPA is nearly twice as fast as Sprint's EVDO, but without an HSDPA Blackberry, Sprint is faster at this point.
    which version of HSDPA are you referring to? because EVDO (Rev. 0) typically peaks at approx. 2.4mbps and HSDPA starting at 1.8mbps with versions at 3.6, 7.2, and 14.4mbps, with most common being the 3.6mbps version (about a meg faster, not anywhere close to "twice as fast") and running up to 14.4mbps on the top end which will likely never see as widespread of deployment as the various revisions of EVDO.

Comparitively, "HSDPA" which is being referred to as "3G" is really the 4th Gen GSM data network, with QNC(14.4kbps), GPRS(114kbps), and EDGE(236kbps) ringing in as 1st - 3rd Gen data networks. (even though they refer to EDGE @ 144kbps as 2.5G and the revised EDGE which pushes closer to its max as 2.75G) Looking at the same on the CDMA side, we've got QNC(14.4kbps), 1xRTT(144kbps), EVDO Rev.0(2.4mbps), EVDO Rev.A(3.1mbps), EVDO Rev.B(ranging anywhere from 4.9mbps on the low end to 14.7mbps on the high) with an uber version in the works called UMB which is claiming potential for 275mbps down and 75mbps upstream, UMB will be the direct competitor of EHSPA which will start at 42mbps downstream.

this long rant coming from the fact that comparing HSDPA to EVDO (without specifying) and then claiming it's going to be twice the speed, is well, wrong. High-end HSDPA will be twice as fast as EVDO, up through Rev.A however, it's upstream will be total crap (upstream on rev.0 is typically in the 700kbps range and rev.A is spec'd to be up to 1.8mbps) and while on a blackberry, the upstream is often ignored because it doesn't make as much of a difference when "browsing" it certainly does when sending multi-attachment e-mails or things of that nature, and even moreso when tethering your BB to a laptop or desktop for internet connectivity.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, nor call someone out on something, just trying to level the facts.
    Last edited by dhyde79; 04-12-2008 at 01:51 AM.

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Well then prepare for att's launch of the BB 9000 with 3G service

PIN/ID
    319FB186
    funny how that goes, didn't they say that the rumors and leaked pics of the "bb9xxx series" phone had all been tanked?

PIN/ID
    LESS
    nope..ATT has six month exclusive for the device

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    I love Sprint for speed and coverage (in my area)..... customer service, well I always call blackberry support, no matter what they are usually pretty reasonable.
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

PIN/ID
    319FB186
    six month exclusive huh? got proof? is it listed somewhere on blackberry's site? no? eh, oh well. regardless, the discussion was EDGE vs EVDO, I've not seen the specs but, I would guess that an HSDPA on a blackberry would be about as useful as a blind seeing eye dog (great for those who can use it or need it but worthless to the rest of the world), since very few parts of the US are HSDPA built up, the vast majority of the people who could get it would still have EDGE and would see no difference at all in the phone's connectivity speed (going from publically available maps, it looks as though AT&T serves HSDPA to about 100 cities, all major metro areas, and as people with GSM love to forget, major cities don't make the US coast to coast, and EVDO between sprint, verizon, and alltel DOES cover a large majority of the US, to include the rural areas....it's one of the reasons Apple didn't build the iPhone to be HSDPA compatible (that, and like 802.11n, there are so many versions out there, it'd be a headache to decide where to draw the line for what's in and what's not)
    Last edited by dhyde79; 04-12-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast