I know most people will immediately jump and say that no, it is impossible to ... BlackBerry Curve forum

tmm1012 no está en línea Stack level 1

AT&T MEdiaMax Plan with 8300

Advertisement

I know most people will immediately jump and say that no, it is impossible to apply a MEdiaMax Plan to a Blackberry but I know it has been done (by not using the built-in browser and loading Opera Mini instead), so I was curious if anyone here has any experience with it. I'm thinking of getting a Curve and would just use the data services for POP email and web access with Opera Mini so I'm curious what input people have.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: AT&T MEdiaMax Plan with 8300

Without a BB data plan you can't add any email accounts to your BB. So basically you won't get emails pushed to you. You won't have the service books to do so.

As for the web access I'm not sure if this will work or not. A while back TMO had a little loophole where you didn't need the data plan and could use Opera Mini with the correct APN and get around it. Safe to say they found out about it pretty quick and closed that loophole. And knowing AT&T which are much stricter and anal about access I doubt this is a possibility. I'm not sure since I'm on TMO so don't quote me on this.

I don't think it is worth getting a BB without getting a data plan. If you don't get a data plan with your BB it instantly cripples your BB. No Email, the main reason for a BB then you might as well get a regular phone. Web Access; you can surf the web on plenty of other phones. I mean spending 300 bucks on a phone and not use it to its full potential is just not a good idea. Hope this helps.

Good Luck
    ~red

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~My spouse has a blackberry without a data plan. The only advantage she has over a regular phone is that she can sync her contacts with Outlook and can do texting with a real keyboard.

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

You can accomplish that with a lot of other phones as well... the true glory of BB's are their push technology... it just hasn't been duplicated (IMO) with the same level of efficiency or convenience in any other "smart" type of device.

I agree w/ reddog... it's a YUGO - you'll get there, but it won't be fast or fun on the way

wordthenerd Guest

You'll certainly receive a "data connection refused" error if you decide to go that route.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thanks for the input so far. I just switched from Sprint to AT&T - I had the Treo 700wx, got the AT&T 8525 but am not a fan of the slider design, and now I'll be going with either the Treo 750 or Blackberry Curve. So I've been using a PDA phone for about 6 months, so I'm not all of a sudden making a jump to an expensive phone. When deciding between the 2, the form factor of the Curve has the 750 beat hands down, so I have to determine if the features will be equivalent for my needs. I mainly need basic POP email access, calendar/tasks (I run a small business and need to be able to schedule service calls easily when I'm not at my computer). Are there 3rd party programs, or other ways than going through BIS to do POP email access? I'm not worried about push email, I just check my POP accounts whenever I need to on my Treo, but if all email access is impossible without a BB data plan, then I know I'll have to go with the 750, but the stability of a BB over WM on a Treo and the simple design of the Curve makes me want to find a way.
    Last edited by tmm1012; 06-10-2007 at 10:41 AM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ The data plan will allow you to access those accounts.

audiofx no está en línea Stack level 1

If it helps at all iw as in the same boat as you. Left sprint to go AT&T to get 8525, put wm6 rom onto the 8525. While i enjoyed it and certainly enjoyed the Mediamax plan only $20. I soon went back to a blackberry (i had a verizon 8700 back in oct. or so). Reasons, I got sick of toying with phones, carrying bricks and horrid battery life. Every other pda i had never made it through the day without needing to sit on a charger at work, could be because MS's push is not true push, keeps heartbeat connection open all day but sorry that blows your bat life! I also came back to blackberry because of reliability (although i am having some issues with my curve) for the most part you will not have to reset your phone to get things going, i reset often on various WM devices. ok let me end this rant before i bore people. My point is dont worry about the increase from $20 to $45 for blackberry plan , yes it stinks you cant use mediamax but i justify it to myself in 2 ways 1) BB plan isnt more expensive then wm plan if we didnt cheat with mediamax 2) The extra money is worth my emails and phone just working (isnt that what we need to stay productive in the first place?

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by tmm1012
    I mainly need basic POP email access, calendar/tasks (I run a small business and need to be able to schedule service calls easily when I'm not at my computer). Are there 3rd party programs, or other ways than going through BIS to do POP email access? I'm not worried about push email, I just check my POP accounts whenever I need to on my Treo, but if all email access is impossible without a BB data plan, then I know I'll have to go with the 750, but the stability of a BB over WM on a Treo and the simple design of the Curve makes me want to find a way.
    The unlimited BlackBerry Personal Data plan is $35 list (less if you have a corporate discount). The whole "push" think you hear so much about basically means that you register your POP email accounts with the Cingular Personal BIS server and it does the job of checking your personal mailboxes (looks like it does it every 5 minutes) and when there is an email it notifies your phone and your phone then downloads the new message. This saves a TON of battery life versus a conventional POP email application on a Treo or Windows Mobile machine, where the phone has to wake-up and check the email every five minutes (draining your battery quicker).

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman
    The unlimited BlackBerry Personal Data plan is $35 list (less if you have a corporate discount). The whole "push" think you hear so much about basically means that you register your POP email accounts with the Cingular Personal BIS server and it does the job of checking your personal mailboxes (looks like it does it every 5 minutes) and when there is an email it notifies your phone and your phone then downloads the new message. This saves a TON of battery life versus a conventional POP email application on a Treo or Windows Mobile machine, where the phone has to wake-up and check the email every five minutes (draining your battery quicker).
    That does clear things up a little, I was thinking push email was only for Exchange Servers. I honestly use my email from my phone pretty sparingly - I had my Treo configured for 3 POP accounts, and would do a manual send/receive maybe once an hour or so. I don't have as pressing of business needs as most BB users do, so I don't have a 5 minute auto check. Just need to periodically check up on things a few times a day when I'm away from my computer.

That being said, it does sound like getting the BB won't be a great idea without a BB connect plan, so I'll probably stick with the Treo 750 for now. The form factor of the Curve looks like an excellent design, and I would love to be able to get the stability of BB's, but my needs don't justify a $20/mo x 12 increase in price. Thanks again for everyone's input.