I have a bit of a strange issue and not sure how to resolve it...I ... BlackBerry Curve forum

wahtx no está en línea Stack level 2

AT&T 8320 WiFi Issues

Advertisement

I have a bit of a strange issue and not sure how to resolve it...I just upgraded to an AT&T 8320...I wanted WiFi and the Bold is still a bit out of my price range...anyway, the WiFi has worked great everywhere except home! It works great at work, AT&T Hotspots even the neighbors wide open network LOL.

Here is the info:

Router: Netgear RangeMax model WPN824v3
    Security: WPA-PSK [TKIP]
    Firmware: up to date

Phone: AT&T Curve 8320

I have connected both manually and via searching for networks. Once I have entered in the pass phrase I get a message saying the device is connected, only it is not connected. I can ping the router from the device. I am also using static DHCP and am able to tell the router what IP to give to the phone and the phone is receiving the IP that I assisgned. I can even see in the Router GUI that the phone is attached. However, traffic will not pass (The WiFi symbol is greyed out). I have tried turning off the radio and leaving the WiFi on only and it still will not work.

Just for grins I have pasted the WiFi report from my phone just in case someone see's something that I am not. As alway thank you to everyone for your help!

Wi-Fi
    Current Profile: Bandera1
    SSID: Bandera1
    AP MAC Address: 00:22:3F:08:F9:0A
    Security Type: Pre-Shared Key (PSK)
    Association: Successful
    Authentication: Successful
    Local IP Address: 192.168.1.20
    Signal Level: -55 dBm
    Connection Data Rate: 54 Mbps
    Authentication Failure Reason:
    Network Type: 802.11b/g
    Network Channel: 6
    Pairwise Cipher: TKIP
    Group Cipher: TKIP
    Gateway Address: 192.168.1.1
    DHCP: Successful
    Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
    Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    DNS suffix:
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Server Domain Suffix:
    Certificate:
    Software Token:
    L3 Auth:

VPN
    Current Profile:
    Concentrator Address:
    Authentication: N/A
    Secure Device IP:
    Resolving Concentrator: N/A
    Concentrator IP:
    Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS:
    DNS Suffix:
    Secure Subnet Mask:
    Retry at:
    Session Lifetime:
    Re-login at:
    Failed Login Attempts: 0
    Certificate:
    Software Token:

BlackBerry Infrastructure
    Address Used: //rcp.na.blackberry.com:443
    IP Used:
    Connecting: Trying...
    Authenticating router: N/A
    Authenticating server: N/A
    Last Contact At:
    WAHTX

“If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1000 MPG!"

~Bill Gates~

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    This may sound simplistic but if you are using the same login info as a another device that may cause interference.

For example, @ my job we have free wifi. I cannot have my laptop and my BB 8320 logged onto it @ same time, using same login info. One of the two wont stay connected!

Hope this helps . . .
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by thbassman View Post
    This may sound simplistic but if you are using the same login info as a another device that may cause interference.

For example, @ my job we have free wifi. I cannot have my laptop and my BB 8320 logged onto it @ same time, using same login info. One of the two wont stay connected!

Hope this helps . . .
    Thank you for your help thbassman!

I wish it was that simple! The WiFi that I manage at work is not free either, it is code driven...if I specify the code to allow more than 1 device to connect it would still work with the single code...however this issue is with my home network. The passphrase is required for any device to connect to my network. Currently I have 1 printer, 1 desktop, 3 laptops and a Wii connected. They all connect using the same passphrase.

My blackberry connects, is issued an IP address but will not use the the WiFi connection for data.
    WAHTX

“If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1000 MPG!"

~Bill Gates~

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    There are known incompatibilities between the 8320 and some wireless routers.

You can try changing some of the WMM (Wireless Multimedia) settings, especially regarding power saving, but usually, if you're in this situation, you're out of luck.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

Thanks Thyth!

I have been doing a lot of research on this since Monday night and came to the same conclusion as you, I am S.O.L.! However, I just finished doing some digging through the Netgear Forums and found thread that looks promissing. The moderator said to not allow the phone to connect via DHCP and manually configure the IP stack...Use your standard IP Schema (IP, Subnet and Gateway) except for DNS use 4.2.2.1/4.2.2.2. I will test this tonight and report back.

BTW...noticed the escreen code generator in your signature...Very nice...makes troubleshooting the WiFi a bit easier!!!

Thanks again!!
    WAHTX

~Bill Gates~

Your best bet is disabling WMM power management. I seriously doubt that manual IP address assignment would work any better if DHCP can give you an address successfully.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

Don't get me wrong here...I am going to give your suggestion a try as well...

I am grabbing at straws here for a solution to a problem that doesn't make sense.

Also, the work around suggestion was to add the specific DNS entries, not the IP info...however, on these devices you have to edit it all or just go with DHCP.
    Last edited by wahtx; 04-16-2009 at 06:31 PM.
    WAHTX

~Bill Gates~

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Thyth View Post
    Your best bet is disabling WMM power management. I seriously doubt that manual IP address assignment would work any better if DHCP can give you an address successfully.
    Thyth, you are a genius! That did the trick...I disabled WMM as you said, re-established my connection with the Router...all is working! Thank you for your help!

PS...I am throwing some trust your way!
    WAHTX

~Bill Gates~

Glad it worked out for you. I had to dig out another WiFi router and set up a secondary network just for the BlackBerry devices to get it working for me.