I have a Curve 8300, its my first blackberry and I love it. It works ... BlackBerry Curve forum

keertan no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2513BAB9

Apple Macbook Compatibility

Advertisement

I have a Curve 8300, its my first blackberry and I love it. It works great with my windows xp enable laptop. I am now thinking of buying a Apple Macbook Pro. Is the Blackberry Curve compatible with the Apple Macbook Pro ? Does it offer the same level of functioning on apple as it does on Windows XP ?

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Re: Apple Macbook Compatibility

Not the same functionality as on Windows no.
    On the Mac you will need to get something like PocketMac or The Missing Sync.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

erick no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23ff9086

RIM has somewhat dropped the ball when it comes to the Mac. Yes a Blackberry device can be synced with a Mac but, OS updates i.e. Firmware upgrades can not be performed on a Mac. To my knowledge Firmware upgrades can only be done on a Windows computer. I would suggest taking a look here http://pocketmac.com/product.php?id=1 and also doing a search on google for the program "Missing Sync". The Pocket Mac solution is provided free of charge.
    The first step to curing your (Blackberry) addiction is admitting your addicted. What addiction, I don't have an addiction!!!

surfanimal no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me!

If you really wanted to get specific about it, the macbook pro enables you to dual boot os' (i.e. - windows xp & mac osx)

Installing the desktop manager when using windows on the macbook will give you the same ease of use.

Then again, all of that seems like more hassle than what it's worth unless you'd be using the windows portion for things other than syncing your blackberry.

erick no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23ff9086

Oh, almost forgot, VMware Fusion With Windows XP installed is also said to work. I have not personally tried it but, I came across a few people that claimed to have used it and it worked with the Windows Desktop Manager.

I mention this method because, it does not require a reboot into the Windows partition to use.

I have tried Parallels Desktop for Mac with little success.
    The first step to curing your (Blackberry) addiction is admitting your addicted. What addiction, I don't have an addiction!!!

stewea no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    headed

I use a MacBook Pro with BootCamp and it works with no issues (it IS running Windows natively). However, I also use VMWare Fusion pointed to the BootCamp partition, and have no issues with that either, when syncing my 8800 and (now 8320) with DM. Both work great, and I have the option to just run VMWare, or boot natively on those rare occasions.

Steve

Bobboya no está en línea Stack level 2

I have a MacBook. You cannot perform software upgrades to the Blackberry handheld on the MacOS, so you will have to be in XP to perform upgrades. When I first tried running Desktop Manager on XP, the MacBook would not recognize the Blackberry connected via USB, and I got an "insufficient current" warning on the Blackberry. It took me a while to figure out that I had to open Device Manager, and download the updated Blackberry USB driver. After that, things have worked fine. But, it took me three months to figure this out (I use my other Mac, most of the time, and, since I didn't need to upgrade the BB OS, I usually used PocketMac for sync with the Mac).

Bob