i have two pests that keep bugging me on my phone, and i need to ... BlackBerry Curve forum

lustmord no está en línea Stack level 2

anyway to block specific sms text messages?

Advertisement

i have two pests that keep bugging me on my phone, and i need to get rid of them. i bought a copy of whitelist/blacklist, and that solved the problem of them calling me up, but is there a way to also stop the texting?

i suppose what i need to know is there a way to block certain people from sending me text messages, or just a way of blacklisting them so they dont come through on my end?

any help is appreciated, or any suggestions on any 3rd party software. i dont mind paying for a solution.

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Re: anyway to block specific sms text messages?

Based on the ATT website, you cannot block specific SMS text messages from people. You either have SMS or cancel it from your account, but that will stop ALL text messages.

rws381 no está en línea Stack level 2

I would also love to hear a solution for this. One day about three months ago I started randomly receiving weather and horoscope every morning and all kinds of baseball scores. I have called AT&T a bunch of times and they say the only thing I can do is change my number, I really don't want to do this because I've had this number for like six years!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by rws381 View Post
    I would also love to hear a solution for this. One day about three months ago I started randomly receiving weather and horoscope every morning and all kinds of baseball scores. I have called AT&T a bunch of times and they say the only thing I can do is change my number, I really don't want to do this because I've had this number for like six years!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    You need to contact the company sending you the messages. If the message contains an unsubscribe link use that. If not, look at where it came from, i.e. something@company.com. Visit their company website for unsubscribe info of contact info. They must provide a way to unsubscribe to the service.

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

Depends on how serious the problem is. Depending on your plan, you may be incurring a cost each time they text you. Most carriers prohibit use of SMS to harass people, so it would be good to find out who THEIR carrier is. Assuming this is a serious issue, you should consider doing the following:
    - keep a detailed log of the times you receive these SMS messages, as well as the msgs themselves
    - keep a log of your response(s) to them, recording all your requests that they stop
    - file a report with the police department local to the sender
    - file a complaint with the carrier(s) of the people harassing - not your carrier - and let them know you have filed a complaint with the police, and that you intend to pursue the issue - there's a good chance they will take action with their own people and either shut them down, or issue notice to them telling them to stop

Also: take a look at the following page:
    http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs2a-cellcalls.htm#3

Quote Originally Posted by doughdaddy View Post
    You need to contact the company sending you the messages. If the message contains an unsubscribe link use that. If not, look at where it came from, i.e. something@company.com. Visit their company website for unsubscribe info of contact info. They must provide a way to unsubscribe to the service.
    Been there, done that. They are coming from alert@mobile.msn.com I have tried emailing that address, replying stop and here's the kicker; when I visit the web site it says I'm not signed up to receive any alerts!?!

SDinSD no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Been there, done that. They are coming from alert@mobile.msn.com I have tried emailing that address, replying stop and here's the kicker; when I visit the web site it says I'm not signed up to receive any alerts!?!
    If you have multiple Live Messenger accounts, I would sign into them one by one on your computer. I would also remove your cell number from your Live Messenger account(s). I used to have an IM client installed on my BB and once I removed it, I got random text messages that wouldn't stop. I was getting like 20 an hour. I couldn't find much on the Internet for it to get rid of it. I finally signed in to that account from my home PC and the messages stopped.

Hopefully one of those suggestions will help.

You may also want to check other ways that it may be sending the alerts such as msnbc.com has alerts, windows live alerts via the desktop and also msn messenger. One of these other services could be sending it.

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

The advice re: other sites such as msnbc.com is good. Also: Microsoft has a pretty thorough article on the topic here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314381

At the bottom of the page there's an item on "Turning Off Alerts" that may be relevant.

- Jon

Quote Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
    The advice re: other sites such as msnbc.com is good. Also: Microsoft has a pretty thorough article on the topic here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314381

At the bottom of the page there's an item on "Turning Off Alerts" that may be relevant.

- Jon
    thanks for all the tips but the thing is it says that im not signed up for alerts and i dont have a mobile device set up to receive alerts on. thats what is driving me bonkers about these things.

Is this phone number one you have had for a while or is it one you just got? If you just got the number then it may be that someone else with the number signed up and you just don't see it in your accounts with MSN. If it is an old number that you have had, then it is always possible that someone signed you up without your knowledge although that usually requires you to acknowledge the original text message they send for varification purposes. In either case, since you did not sign up, and you do not have the option to cancel, then you may need to contact MSN.

Quote Originally Posted by doughdaddy View Post
    Is this phone number one you have had for a while or is it one you just got? If you just got the number then it may be that someone else with the number signed up and you just don't see it in your accounts with MSN. If it is an old number that you have had, then it is always possible that someone signed you up without your knowledge although that usually requires you to acknowledge the original text message they send for varification purposes. In either case, since you did not sign up, and you do not have the option to cancel, then you may need to contact MSN.
    Well I just tried to contact MSN via their web form and it says they will try to respond within 24 hours. I'm not going to hold my breath.

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Then you need to go to MSN Mobile and change or cancel your alerts, I had this problem once and that's all it took to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by DjSmooth View Post
    Then you need to go to MSN Mobile and change or cancel your alerts, I had this problem once and that's all it took to stop.
    again, im not signed up for any. it even says that i dont have a mobile device set up to receive alerts...

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

When I was getting unwanted texts to the point where it was out of control, I simply went to the police.
    They paid the person a visit and the text msgs ended then and there.
    It's called harassment.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide