Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Excellent voice dialing application. If you go to the VoiceSignal website, you can learn more ... BlackBerry Curve forum

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Anyone having luck with their voice dialing???

Advertisement

Excellent voice dialing application. If you go to the VoiceSignal website, you can learn more about the company, and see all the mobile phones they're featured on. Pretty amazing.

You can also read up on some new software they're releasing with cool features. Unfortunately, it seems that RIM is one of their more conservative customers/partners, so we won't be seeing their latest features on Blackberry's especially soon. But at least it's good to have this as basic voice dialing software.

PoliceDog no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by vinmontRD
    "...good to have this as basic voice dialing software...."
    You call this "basic"? I remember when Rogers/ATT first offered "voice-dialling" - from what I remember, you could have a maximum of 10 numbers "assigned" to voice-dialling, the "recognition" curve of the application was abysmal, and it cost about $10 a month for the privilege!

After paying for this app for my Treo, having it on my BB Curve as a built-in app is a FANTASTIC bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceDog
    You call this "basic"? I remember when Rogers/ATT first offered "voice-dialling" - from what I remember, you could have a maximum of 10 numbers "assigned" to voice-dialling, the "recognition" curve of the application was abysmal, and it cost about $10 a month for the privilege!

After paying for this app for my Treo, having it on my BB Curve as a built-in app is a FANTASTIC bonus!
    @PoliceDog -

You're right of course. Voice recognition has come a long way in the last few years - primarily in accuracy and speed. There are still a number of phones on the market that either don't have voice dialing at all, or require that you pre-record "voice tags", for up to 10 numbers, that are stored on the phone for comparison with your spoken command.

VoiceSignal has been a major innovator in the field, and is the dominant technology for this, appearing on many phones. Microsoft's "Voice Command" is also quite good, but only works on Windows Mobile devices, and only on some of them at that. When it DOES work, Voice Command is excellent -- but it seems that Microsoft barely puts much into it: they reached version 1.5 about 2 years ago, and just recently came out with 1.6, but there's virtually no new development happening there right now.

Only reason I used the adjective "basic" is that VoiceSignal software can do a lot more than RIM has opted to implement on Blackberry's. I found it a bit odd in fact: the Curve includes version 2.1 of VoiceSignal's "VSuite" software, but is limited to dialing by name, dialing by number, and rudimentary checking of battery and signal level. In contrast, the Motorola RIZR, which has version 2.0 of VSuite installed, makes use of several more VSuite functions, such as the ability to start an email or SMS text message, pre-addressed to your selected recipient, on command. So, although RIM used the latest version of VSuite, they only implement a fraction of its capabilities.

VoiceSignal also released VoiceMode, which lets you compose SMS text and/or email messages verbally. They also have something called VSearch, which would let you initiate web searches vocally as well. I could be wrong about this, but I suspect that RIM's generally conservatism might make them one of the later manufacturers to adopt these extra features, although I can imagine that more and better voice control will be nice to have eventually. I also like the like of having my blackberry being able to read an incoming voicemail or SMS text msg to me -- the technology for that exists today, but it's apparently not a priority for RIM just yet.

So the word "basic" is purely relative. Yup - this is excellent voice recognition. But... there's SO much more they could be doing with it.

PoliceDog no está en línea Stack level 3

You're absolutely right. (Great post BTW.) I wasn't ragging you about using the description "basic" - it's just that when I read it I thought immediately about my experience with voice-dialling before using Voice-Signal. Getting those 10 numbers "assigned" to 10 contact names, and making them work 100%, was a real PITA! As you said, this is light years beyond that. I was so happy to see that logo on my screen when I first used my new Curve. Now that RIM is going after the mainstream consumer market, I'm sure they will exploit whatever potential lies within this great application as well as others that will come along.

dkirchik no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2432a7ba

ive allways had to adapt my digits for my voice dial to work right. I have 606 contacts but with each contact i have the sub groups (work1 work2 mobile1...ect..) thats the only thing that gets me confused. but ive never truly had a problem with it... but when the A/C in my car is on.. oh forget it...

Quote Originally Posted by dkirchik
    ive allways had to adapt my digits for my voice dial to work right. I have 606 contacts but with each contact i have the sub groups (work1 work2 mobile1...ect..) thats the only thing that gets me confused. but ive never truly had a problem with it... but when the A/C in my car is on.. oh forget it...
    Have you tried a noice-cancelling headset? Can work wonders against things like air-conditioning. For a bluetooth headset, the Jawbone has great noice cancellation (although it doesn't fit me very well - but it works fine for a lot of people). There are a few out there that are wired, but one of the most prominent is called The Boom: http://www.theboom.com/

Could make a big difference for you in noisy environments.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceDog
    You're absolutely right. (Great post BTW.) I wasn't ragging you about using the description "basic" - it's just that when I read it I thought immediately about my experience with voice-dialling before using Voice-Signal. Getting those 10 numbers "assigned" to 10 contact names, and making them work 100%, was a real PITA! As you said, this is light years beyond that. I was so happy to see that logo on my screen when I first used my new Curve. Now that RIM is going after the mainstream consumer market, I'm sure they will exploit whatever potential lies within this great application as well as others that will come along.
    Sorry if I sounded defensive! I really didn't feel attacked...

Yup - as I read your post, I glanced down at part of my old cellphone collection sitting on my desk, including my old Sony Ericsson z600 that could handle 10 pre-recorded voice tags -- definitely a PITA! Barely worked. The technology was only good to show off in a silent room, with friends (preferably little kids who were easily impressed) watching. Barely useful at all for real use. I remember that I had recorded one voice tag for "Home", and I got really good at using that one tag, so I could walk from work to the subway in winter with my BT headset on, and initiate a call to my wife without having to take the phone out of my pocket.

Things have really improved since then!

nbudros no está en línea Stack level 1

lol didnt know i could do that.. Makes a difference

PLUS fyi set your screen to not shut of the backlight at 10secs or its hard tog et anything done.

ARGG!!!! why does it keep saying time expired? Like right after it starts listening sheessh

*wants to throw bb....

Quote Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
    Mike -

Go into Options / Voice Dialing.

Then press the menu button (to the left of the trackball). From here you can select "reset digits" (use the defaults), or "adapt digits" to train it again.
    Last edited by nbudros; 12-30-2007 at 09:41 PM.

DBae no está en línea Stack level 1

My voice dialing doesnt work at all... literally at ALL, I'll push the button to go to voice-dialing, and the prompt will come out with "Say a Command"

I can speak a command, enunciate a command, slow motion talk on a command, yell a commnad, I can even yell giberrish, and it doesnt even pick up ANYTHING. It just waits for me to say a command, and it never times out either if it doesnt hear anything after a bit... I think it's broken...

I use an 8300 CUrve

Dan Camacho no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24171C1C

Question With the original stereo headset (not bluetooth)

You can assign Voice Dial to one of the convenience buttons (it's my left one), and also when you have a decent BT headset, you can activate Voice Dialing by tapping the connect button on your headset. Works great with a Jawbone (personal experience) and with others (from what I've read).
    I am stumped, the Voice Dialing works great for me and used to work with my standard heaset button. However, now it doesn't, I'm not sure if there is a way to change this option, but I can not see using this feature if I have to constantly start the app from the icon. I have 4.5.0.55(81) with platform 2.7.0.68. Like I said the apps works and works well, the only problem it I can't activate the app from my headset which came with the phone. Also the headset button works great with my music and answering a phone call. Also, not sure if this makes a difference but my phone locks automatically when placed in the holster and is not setup to dial from Home Screen. Hope someone knows whats going on... Thanks...
    TelCel - 8300 Curve

Dan -

I do "dial from homescreen", but I don't think this has anything to do with your issue. I've had voice dialing working, btw, with all versions of the Curve (8300) OS, including 4.5.0.81 and now .93. I was using a Blueant Z9i for the last few weeks, and am now using a Jawbone 2, and it works fine with both, initiating the "say a command" prompt simply by touching the "connect" button on the headphone.

Have you looked at "Options" under the Bluetooth app? I'm set as follows:

- Discoverable: "yes" (although that's not necessary)
    - Allow Outgoing Calls: "always"
    - All options under "Services" are checked

Beyond this, I can't imagine what is causing your problems with BT voice dialing.

- Jon

PIN/ID
    24171C1C
    Dan -

I do "dial from homescreen", but I don't think this has anything to do with your issue. I've had voice dialing working, btw, with all versions of the Curve (8300) OS, including 4.5.0.81 and now .93. I was using a Blueant Z9i for the last few weeks, and am now using a Jawbone 2, and it works fine with both, initiating the "say a command" prompt simply by touching the "connect" button on the headphone.

Have you looked at "Options" under the Bluetooth app? I'm set as follows:

- Discoverable: "yes" (although that's not necessary)
    - Allow Outgoing Calls: "always"
    - All options under "Services" are checked

Beyond this, I can't imagine what is causing your problems with BT voice dialing.

- Jon
    Its not a BT headset, its my original wired heaset, that was working fine, and now not... (
    TelCel - 8300 Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Camacho View Post
    Its not a BT headset, its my original wired heaset, that was working fine, and now not... (
    Oh...sorry...I'm obviously not paying enough attention. Friday afternoon warm-weather attention-deficit...

That's weird (wired?). Do you have access to another wired headset you can try it with? I'd think the next thing you want to do is distinguish between a Blackberry issue and a problem with the headset or its wiring.

- Jon

PIN/ID
    24171C1C
    Oh...sorry...I'm obviously not paying enough attention. Friday afternoon warm-weather attention-deficit...

That's weird (wired?). Do you have access to another wired headset you can try it with? I'd think the next thing you want to do is distinguish between a Blackberry issue and a problem with the headset or its wiring.

- Jon
    I'll try it out with a friends headset and see what happens...
    TelCel - 8300 Curve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123