Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm loving it. I haven't put it down since I got it. Themes are non ... BlackBerry Curve forum

MDelBuono no está en línea Stack level 1

Advertisement

I'm loving it. I haven't put it down since I got it. Themes are non existent though.
    Its my first bb so I can't compare it to others. I'm loving the wifi abilities and
    The app possibilities. Battery life is weak though, I'm used to charging my phone
    Other day. Picked up a car charger though, so no worries. The internet is really slow
    Unless your connected to wifi. The music player is decent if you listen with headphones
    But not so great on speaker. Love bb messenger! Pin:210e46a3
    BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.259 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

WHYZ no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    211063B8
    Im loving mines. better than my 8120

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    How hard would it be to get one of these 8520 running on AT&T? They do have some non-branded units on eBay.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

PIN/ID
    No Way
    This place is DEAD AS A DOORNAIL!

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

HankO3 no está en línea Stack level 1
    bunky1971, can you elaborate a little on Editing the blackberry alx file?

Thanks,
    Hank

PIN/ID
    No Way
    Mine arrived yesterday and is being returned today. No doubt it is entry level. The touch pad was interesting and a welcome change I hope to see in the 9700.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

bunky1971 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    22F29DE1
    Quote Originally Posted by HankO3 View Post
    bunky1971, can you elaborate a little on Editing the blackberry alx file?

Thanks,
    Hank
    Hank,
    First and foremost, copy blackberry.alx to a different location on your PC then you can restore if needed.
    You open blackberry.alx with notepad and scroll down to the themes/vendor ID you will see a bunch of carrier ID's or themes. There will be something like carrier 114 than then theme and a series of numbers
    You will see 117|119|214|XXX >"
    You need to delete the list of numbers only. Greater than sign stays
    Make sure when you save changes, your PC saves the changs withe the .alx extension.
    I think there are more detailed instruction if you search this forum

The one thing is once these themes are installed, they cannot be deleted by traditional methods, you will have to use your backup blackberry.alx IIRC
    BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.286 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Curiosity got the better of me and I went out and bought this little trinket, 8520.
    Its great for the price, does all like any other BB,and has this magnificent replacement for a trackball...
    Themes are a no-no as well as some programs that are not yet available for it.
    It's a great backup phone to the 8900 or the Bold, in case of an accident.
    Small and light - and that great substitute of the trackball!
    BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301

snakemann no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    211AEDD8
    I have this phone along with 8900...and I can say that when I'm on the go or out of town this phone is the best pocket friendly device i have had since my rzr...

fiz_x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    21a311e6
    Overall it's a fairly decent blackberry. It is designed to be a basic entry level "edge" phone. Its not meant to be anything amazing. The trackpad works the same as the trackball for the most part. scroll around and click. Personally I like it, but I never really liked the ball to begin with. It came with one theme and I haven't seen any 3rd party ones yet, so thats a bummer. The keyboard feels a bit more cramped than my 83** curve but I got used to that fairly quick. The camera is ok but no flash on this one. The media quality is pretty good, videos are clear and audio is loud and clear as well, and the dedicated media buttons on the top are pretty cool too. The last thing I have to comment on is that it is super light weight! The battery itself is heavier than the phone itself. Unfortunately the light weight makes it feel a little cheap. Another complaint is that the charge/usb port is a different size (smaller) than every other blackberry I've owned so I can't use my old chargers. Finally my last complaint is that it didn't come with a case of any sort. I'm using my old curve's sleeve for now but it's a bit loose.

Conclusion: It's a nice, modern looking blackberry with some extra frills for a great price.
    Also the new 3G blackberry should be out in december (tmobile customers)

adils no está en línea Stack level 3

Question

Quote Originally Posted by snakemann View Post
    I have this phone along with 8900...and I can say that when I'm on the go or out of town this phone is the best pocket friendly device i have had since my rzr...
    Hi Delfin and Snakemann,

Well I am using 8900 for the last few months, and I really luv the phone, except the track ball which keeps on troubling on and off. Lately, I was thinking to go for 8520, primarily cause of its sensor mechanisim; but then i cant make-up my mind, primarily cause of the,

-Low resolution of camera;
    -Absence of GPS (though it is not really important for me);
    -Low internal memory allocation in 8520.

I am a BIS user, but i play around a lot with my phones, and try applications and stuff as well.

Now i am sure you both with your experiences of using 8900 as well as 8520, can guide me well.

Thanks
    "All people on the planet are children,
    Except, for a very few.
    No one is grown up,
    Except, those free of Desire"

Paulmac71 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    I just got a new 8520 this morning, and have to say its great...i was somewhat dubious about the optic trackpad but its so easy and precise to use.
    Only bad ponits about getting it
    1. No flash on cam
    2. No BB pouch with it
    Not really tried the media buttons on top yet
    But overall im impressed considering i came from a 8120

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Adils
    The 8900 is the superior phone - in all aspects, even the quality of the screen. The camera is also better,( 3.2mp v. 2.0mp) and flash helps, definitely: although GPS is available via cell location on the 8520, it's much better to have the facility with a GPS receiver...mind you, this is my opinion.
    Regarding the 8520 I have my doubts about the sound quality from the music player, altough over earphones it's ok. Speaker problem ?
    But, some very nice and innovative ringtones...
    I have the 8520 as perfect backup to the 8900 'cause all the functions of a BB are there !
    The sensor mechanism is the sweetest element. I believe all future models will have this feature. I hope so !
    Cheers !
    Last edited by Delfim; 10-03-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Added text and spelling

snakemann no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    211AEDD8
    I bought the 8520 originally for my little sister. She is 18 and hard to please when it comes to her phones. Well 2 weeks went buy and I didn't get a text, phone call, or bb message stating that she didn't like the phone or wanted a new one so I immediately went into panic mode. So when I called her she was like, I'm loving my phone...I was like OK let me buy try this phone. So I bought me one and I don't regret it at all. I now use it as a backup for my 8900. However, I installed 5.0 on the 8520 and the phone is kicking arse with no problem...best beginner phone I have ever advised anyone to get...
    8520: OS v5.0.0.238
    8900: OS v4.6.1.250

Ooh...I haz a twitta!

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    snakeman, buddy, pls show me where to get the 5.0 OS for the 8520. Can't find it anywhere.
    an http address is all I need !
    Thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast