Been using Berry411 (and now Beyond411) for years, but notice lately that functionality has decreased. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Methril no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2429CF10

Question Any New Search Apps Better Than Beyond411?

Advertisement

Been using Berry411 (and now Beyond411) for years, but notice lately that functionality has decreased. Almost seems like Beyond441 might be funneling searches through search providers that Bogles has partnerships with ($$$) instead of the best options available. Can't blame them for trying to make money, but would appreciate hearing about any alternatives that others may have found.

Thanks.

challigan23 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242E2B51

Re: Any New Search Apps Better Than Beyond411?

I'm not quite sure, but handango has the largest variety of software available (as im sure you are aware of). Do you have the link handy to download Beyond OTA becuase I cannot get the install link email?

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Negative Ghostrider. To the best of my knowledge Phil doesn't make any money on Beyond411. I have yet to see functionality decrease, but only increase. There haven't been any updates for awhile, but as I understand it he was working on a fairly substantial upgrade.

What problems are you having?

PIN/ID
    2429CF10

Here you go:

http : // thebogles . com / b411 . jad

Apparently, I'm not allowed to post URLs because I'm a peon, so you'll have to type it in yourself without the extra spaces.

PIN/ID
    2429CF10

Quote Originally Posted by MotoUp View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Negative Ghostrider. To the best of my knowledge Phil doesn't make any money on Beyond411. I have yet to see functionality decrease, but only increase. There haven't been any updates for awhile, but as I understand it he was working on a fairly substantial upgrade.

What problems are you having?
    Thanks. For the record, I wasn't faulting him for doing so if that was the case. He deserves some cash for being so helpful.

I certainly do enjoy the new features such as GPS-based searching, but I've found that simple tools/plugins like "whitepages", "sports" and "stocks" are less useful. For instance, whitepages used to pull up just about any residential number that was a listed number. Also, seems like all I need to do was search "sports:LSU UGA" on a Saturday and the first result would tell me the current score for the LSU-Georgia football game. Similar searches lately require sifting through two or three pages of results which are mostly news stories before finding a score. Finally, I used to be able to get 8 or 10 stock quotes at once with "stocks", "yahoostocks" or "gyfin", but those stopped working a couple of months ago. Also wish "search web" would not have replaced "search google"-- "web" results don't seem to be as useful.

I realize that I've done a decent job of bitching about a free product that is still plenty useful, but Bogles definitely deserves props for his efforts. I'll take solace in the hope that any positive changes that may result might help him build a product that someone will pay him some real $$$ for one day.

Whiner out.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

On a positive note, 7 more "whines" and you can post that link.

For a "whine" post, you state your argument well. Kudos, sir.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

u can try InfoSpace Findit - very useful app and the interface is incredible..

And, don't forget the new Live Search from Micro$oft - it is very good actually!!!
    Last edited by jscottbarnes; 11-14-2007 at 09:31 AM.

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

tj2311111 Guest

InfoSpace Findit and Microsoft live search are better than Beyond411 IMO. I even have Microsoft live search as a convenience key because its that good.

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

Quote Originally Posted by teamjordan23 View Post
    InfoSpace Findit and Microsoft live search are better than Beyond411 IMO. I even have Microsoft live search as a convenience key because its that good.
    Nice... left or right... lol

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Methril View Post
    Thanks. For the record, I wasn't faulting him for doing so if that was the case. He deserves some cash for being so helpful.

I certainly do enjoy the new features such as GPS-based searching, but I've found that simple tools/plugins like "whitepages", "sports" and "stocks" are less useful. For instance, whitepages used to pull up just about any residential number that was a listed number. Also, seems like all I need to do was search "sports:LSU UGA" on a Saturday and the first result would tell me the current score for the LSU-Georgia football game. Similar searches lately require sifting through two or three pages of results which are mostly news stories before finding a score. Finally, I used to be able to get 8 or 10 stock quotes at once with "stocks", "yahoostocks" or "gyfin", but those stopped working a couple of months ago. Also wish "search web" would not have replaced "search google"-- "web" results don't seem to be as useful.

I realize that I've done a decent job of bitching about a free product that is still plenty useful, but Bogles definitely deserves props for his efforts. I'll take solace in the hope that any positive changes that may result might help him build a product that someone will pay him some real $$$ for one day.

Whiner out.
    Actually, I didn't take your post as a whiner post. My apologies if my response sounded like that. I'm not sure why you're having these new issues.

Here is the link posted above in case you want to give the latest version a try.
    http://thebogles.com/b411.jad

Hopefully Phil will see your post and have some helpful insight for you.

junkhead no está en línea Stack level 2

When I try to d/l the OTA it says it's a .ZIP file... what is all that about?
    -------
    I also tried to D/L and upload it via DM but that doesn't work either.
    Last edited by junkhead; 12-27-2007 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Automerged.
    "We chased misprinted lies... We face the path of time..." -Layne Staley

MooseBerry no está en línea Stack level 2

I thinkbeyond411 is great, but I have to say that windows live search is giving it a run for the money.
    My BB History: 7510>7520>7100>7100t>7130c>8700c>8100>8300>8310>81 30>8330>9530>9630

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

I wouldn't say any of these are better, but here's some others to try - all free:
    JerryD

Cisco Kidd no está en línea Stack level 3

Sorry for the hijack

Beyond411 is there a way...

when i ask it to map an address it maps it to yahoo
    Is there a way to have it load to my Telenav ?