Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Oh the horror! So, I was walking down the stairs during cleaning (mopping the stairs) ... BlackBerry Curve forum

yettiman2208 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK

Ahhhhhh My Baby!!!!!

Advertisement

Oh the horror!

So, I was walking down the stairs during cleaning (mopping the stairs) (I am still in College) while on the phone with my girlfriend.

i proceed to slip on the stairs and launch my phone up in the air. I land on my butt and watch my phone as it (of course in slow motion) rotates through the air, reaches its max height, turns and comes down, bounces on the rim (no pun intended) of the mop bucket that i happened to be walking by, and then falls directly into the gross, murky, brown water.

Now i go in there directly and pull it out and yank the battery out and blow any excess water out of the casing.

I currently have the phone sitting in a bag of rice, and am about to hit it with a hair dryer for 5 minutes of so and then put it back in the rice.

I have not tried to turn the phone back on. i want to try everything to dry it out before i do that.

HELP! Please help me save my baby. ( an 8330)
    What else should i do.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    i would suggest patience.....don't power up too soon.let the rice do its thing.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

PIN/ID
    ASK
    How long do you suggest for rice?

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    You're doing all the right stuff. Don't get too close with the dryer - in fact use cool air on it if you can and hope for the best. Maybe you got it in time.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    i've never had to do the rice thing but i would say at least for 2 to 3 days.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

PIN/ID
    ASK
    hmmmm sounds good. thanks for the quick response

grymtyrant@msn. no está en línea Stack level 3
    Nice idea with the rice. Good luck man. Hope all works out.

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    My prayers are w/you. I feel your pain. (Recently posted a toilet dive for mine. )Just let patience be your guide.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    ASK
    what was the end result on the toilet dive?
    or maybe hit me with a link for your toilet dive experience(forum please..... no pics of personal toilet dives...... hehe )

PIN/ID
    ASK
    nvm i found the post.

i am hoping the rice with substitute for the gel packs. i dont have any of those.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    like catstide said, be patient, let it dry out for a couple of days. If you'll do this. theres a good chance it will live

focuztorch no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    stick with the rice and do it for 3 day at lease and if you can find gel packs just go to foot locker or any place they sell shoes target walmart and just ask shoe dept for them tell them it for ya kids school project and then do that for a day and keep in a dry place like a ziploc and wrap phone in a napkin i did this process saved my curve worked like a charm use dryer as last resort for no more than 10 min on a mid heat or cool setting hope all goes well keep us posted

rbn85 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24538FBF
    I did the rice thing on my pearls (my younger brothers are using them) and both of them are working perfectly. One got full of sweat, and the other one took a dive in the pool. The one that took a dive idk why but it wasnt recieving any text after the whole process. But a reinstall of the OS made everything work. Good luck!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    ASK
    how long did everyone wait for the first attempt at a turn on.

from what i understand is that there is really only one shot at this, and if i attempt a turn on too soon i am hosed. correct?

like say, hypothetically, that i decide to put the battery back in tomorrow afternoon. essentially 24hours under rice. and i get something funky and pull the battery. is the phone done?

my understanding is that if it does something funky then its essentially shorting out and that can only happen once, without the ability to reverse it. my knowledge of circuitry is rudimentary at best.

i have had this happen once before to an old phone i had, and i tried patting it dry and then plugged the battery back in, and it was all over the place. flashing screen, and constant vibrate going. i then turned it off and hit it with the hair dryer about 2 hours later, for about 15 min. and then everything worked perfectly after that. do you suppose i was just lucky at the time that turning it back on did not completely ruin it?

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    It's really hard to say what could happen if you turn it on too soon, but yes you certainly could short out the circuit board if there is still moisture.

Best bet is, as others have posted above ~ to wait at least 48 to 72 hours before any attempt to turn it back on. You can also try to disassemble the device as much as possible to allow internal parts a better chance to dry.

Keep in mind, that was some dirty water that got in there and not such a good mix with sensitive electronic components.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast