Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am new to BB (be nice ). I purchased the new 8310 from AT&T ... BlackBerry Curve forum

gmallory no está en línea Stack level 1

Aggravating - they changed my OS!

Advertisement

I am new to BB (be nice ). I purchased the new 8310 from AT&T last week. It got a JVM Error 535 the first day and I used the tips/tricks from this site to try to reload the OS. I gave up after a few hours of trying and the device never accepting the reloaded OS.

So...I took the device back and thought I would try a different "smart" phone. I mistakenly chose the BlackJack II which was a totally weak, non-business, non user friendly device. I hated it immediately and turned right around to go back to get the BB 8310. I really liked all the BB 8310 features and I should have just replaced it with another BB when it crashed.

AT&T gave me a new 8310 to replace the BlackJack II. But this one seems to have a different OS than the first one that I had. Argghhh...it is very frustrating!

Problems:
    There are three significant differences that I can see....
    1) The original BB 8310 had an email configuration in the out-of-the-box "Blackberry Setup". This allowed me to set up a personal email account (i.e. POP with Earthlink). The new BB 8310 does not have that option. From the Home screen, I choose "Blackberry Setup" and there are only two options..."Setup Wizard" or "Set Up Bluetooth". When I choose "Setup Wizard", at step 9 of 10, it gives me only two options:
    (a) "I want to use a work email account with a Blackberry Enterprise Server" or
    (b) "I want to skip email setup"
    I don't want to do either. I want to set up two email accounts. One is a POP Earthlink account for personal use and the other is a work Outlook account through the desktop redirector instead of the Blackberry Enterprise Server.

How do I fix that?

2) The original BB 8310 had two email/messaging icons at the top left of the screen. The first one was "Messages" (manages all email/text accounts) and the second one was for a personal email account (non-business). This was configured and set up in the original out-of-the-box Blackberry Setup. It asked for my private (i.e. POP) email accounts and configured them automatically. The new BB 8310 only has one email/messaging icon at the top left of the screen. It will not allow me to configure it for mail accounts. Same question as above.

3) The original BB 8310 had two Browser icons. One was for "Media Net" and the other just said "Browser". I like to use the one that just says browser as it seems to be more user friendly and more similar to a desktop browser (allows you to change homepage). The new BB 8310 only has the "Media Net" browser. How can I get the other browser?
    Questions:
    Can these things be changed by changing the OS?
    Do you think that I got an older/newer version of the device and OS than the first one that I had a few days ago?
    How can I tell what OS I have on this new one?
    Thanks in advance for your help!!

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Re: Aggravating - they changed my OS!

Didn't read the whole thing but:

To find out your OS verison, go to Options-About

To get your browser back, go to Options-Advanced Options-Host Routing Table, click the menu button, do Register Now 3 times, then wait about 30 seconds and see if it appears on your homescreen.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by gmallory View Post
    1) The original BB 8310 had an email configuration in the out-of-the-box "Blackberry Setup". This allowed me to set up a personal email account (i.e. POP with Earthlink). The new BB 8310 does not have that option. From the Home screen, I choose "Blackberry Setup" and there are only two options..."Setup Wizard" or "Set Up Bluetooth". When I choose "Setup Wizard", at step 9 of 10, it gives me only two options:

Go to http://www.att.blackberry.com

The old BIS account you had set up, you can try and log into and just switch device.

Or, you can set up a new BIS account and just pop your email to that one. It's fairly simple to do, and faster to do if you have computer access rather than doing it on the BlackBerry.

As far as your Enterprise Activation, that should be done at step 9 I believe? ATT is always changing things up.

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

it sounds like your phone is set up for BES and you need BIS. try going online and switching the pin on the website as suggested and see if that helps.

Thanks so much for the quick responses....

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB View Post
    Didn't read the whole thing but:

To find out your OS verison, go to Options-About
    Tried this and the version is 4.2.2.170 (Platform 2.5.0.30). Should it be newer?

To get your browser back, go to Options-Advanced Options-Host Routing Table, click the menu button, do Register Now 3 times, then wait about 30 seconds and see if it appears on your homescreen.
    This didn't fix it.

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Thanks so much for the quick responses....

This didn't fix it.
    Log into your BIS account from your carriers website and update your PIN. Pin is found in menu, options, status. This will let RIM know to route the email and internet to that device rather then the old one. Try the HRT and follow it up with a battery pull, in that order. If that does not kick on the browser icon, the set up internet email icon call your carrier and make sure they added the BB internet feature back on , and that is is reactivated on the RIM side. Hope it helps.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

You had a BB, then went to a windows device (assuming they removed your BB data plan), did you have the BB data plan re-added to your account?

go to the link above for BIS, log in (if you have username/password) and it will allow you to 1) update your PIN information and 2) re-send service book. That should restore your icon for browser.

After you ran the BlackBerry wizard it still didn't put the icon for e-mail setup on the home screen?

penpower no está en línea Stack level 3

I am new to BB (be nice ). I purchased the new 8310 from AT&T last week. It got a JVM Error 535 the first day and I used the tips/tricks from this site to try to reload the OS. I gave up after a few hours of trying and the device never accepting the reloaded OS.
    I didn't read your whole post, but I can see that you didn't use or read all the tips and tricks from this site thoroughtly, at least one - remove the vendor.xml before loading your new OS.

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB View Post
    Go to http://www.att.blackberry.com

The old BIS account you had set up, you can try and log into and just switch device.

Or, you can set up a new BIS account and just pop your email to that one. It's fairly simple to do, and faster to do if you have computer access rather than doing it on the BlackBerry.

As far as your Enterprise Activation, that should be done at step 9 I believe? ATT is always changing things up.

[/indent]
    When I go to www.att.blackberry.com and try to create my account (I never set one up before), I enter my PIN and IMEI number, then an error message pops up saying..."Your device has not yet been registered with the network. Please refer to the Getting Started documentation on how to register your device before you continue. If you choose to proceed with this account setup process before registering your device may be sent to a Blackberry service home screen with reduced service features until you have registered your device." I have followed all of the steps in the "getting started" guide and it doesn't say anything about registering. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by penpower View Post
    I didn't read your whole post, but I can see that you didn't use or read all the tips and tricks from this site thoroughtly, at least one - remove the vendor.xml before loading your new OS.
    True. I didn't read "all" the tips and tricks. There are so many and I need a working device pronto. I gave up figuring it was faster to replace than to read "all" the threads/tips/tricks. I did find the thread about installing the OS and I did remove the vendor.xml before loading, but it would go through the reload and then lock up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie_gauge View Post
    Log into your BIS account from your carriers website and update your PIN. Pin is found in menu, options, status. This will let RIM know to route the email and internet to that device rather then the old one. Try the HRT and follow it up with a battery pull, in that order. If that does not kick on the browser icon, the set up internet email icon call your carrier and make sure they added the BB internet feature back on , and that is is reactivated on the RIM side. Hope it helps.
    Thanks Eddie!!
    The first problem was AT&T rep didn't add the BB unlimited data package. It is a little different than their standard data package (plus costs $5.00/month more). After that, I tried the battery & sim card pull, turned back on and the device would register with at the www.att.blackberry.com. Now my emails are arriving....but the other browser still won't come back.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39 View Post
    You had a BB, then went to a windows device (assuming they removed your BB data plan), did you have the BB data plan re-added to your account?

go to the link above for BIS, log in (if you have username/password) and it will allow you to 1) update your PIN information and 2) re-send service book. That should restore your icon for browser.

After you ran the BlackBerry wizard it still didn't put the icon for e-mail setup on the home screen?
    Thanks Cliffr39!!
    I forgot to give credit to you in my last post/reply. It was the BB data plan that seems to have been causing most of the problems. Thanks again!.

The only remaining issue is the 2nd browser (not Media Net). It still isn't showing.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

did you log in to your BIS and send the service books?

Yup. Everything is back to normal now.

Thanks for yours (and all the other Stackers) help!! It was real frustrating being without service and functionallity since I exchanged the phones last night.

I learned a valuable lesson....BlackJack=BAD, Blackberry=Very Nice!

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

glad that it got figured out. it can be frustrating when things aren't working right!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast