Hi everyone! I am new to this site and to BB altogether and so far ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Landocommando12 no está en línea Stack level 1

A couple newb questions...

Advertisement

Hi everyone! I am new to this site and to BB altogether and so far I'm diggin both! I have read around here on a few things and I have tried to use the search function...(some of the forums i belong to bash very hard on Noobs for asking questions that are easily found by searching... so go easy on me :P) but I was looking for a couple specfic things that when I search for them bring up way too many results to find exactly what I'm lookin for... so here goes.

What would I resize pictures to for them to be used as a wallpaper on the 8320 Curve? And can I just put them on my memory card and set them as wallpaper, or do I have to actually send them to my BB email?

What is the procedure for getting and using JL_Cmder to take a screenshot?

Is there a way to lock the alt key when typing a message? So if I want to type a few periods in a row, or do one of these > I don't have to push the alt key before each symbol?

When I use the maps on my BB is it actually going online to get the map, or is it just a program that is loaded in my phone?

Ok, I'm sure theres some other things I'm wondering about that I just can't think of right now, but I will start off with just these few questions... any help is much appreciated!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: A couple newb questions...

Well, let's address these questions, and before I forget Welcome to PinStack.

You need to resize the images to 320X240 and 160 pixels per inch for the Curve. And yes, put theme on your Media Card and use the Media App to browse to the one you want. Then use the menu button and select Set as home screen. Remember though, some themes, have a separate banner image that won't show all the screen.

For JL_Cmder screen shots, Connect your BB to the PC, open JL_Cmder and hit a key. Then when you want to collect a screen shot, in JL_Cmder press the 4 key, then type in the file name to use. Paint will now open and you can save the image in the format you want.

For the ALT lock (NUM lock) press the ALT key and then the Left Shift key. (and for Cap Lock do the same with the Right Shift Key).

And Maps are downloaded from the network as you need an update.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Thank you very much! I think I'm gonna like this site!

So just to be sure, do I download JL_Cmder to my PC or my bb?

Also, is there a good program for resizing pics to use as a wallpaper? I have Photoshop CS, and it will resize an image, but I'm not sure about making it 160 pixels per square inch... I'm pretty sure it just asks what dimensions you want to resize the picture to.

And the reason I ask about the maps is because I possibly could use it once in a while, but not totally a necessity because I have a GPS in both my cars... but as of now, I don't have the BB data package, and was wondering if I could use the maps without it. I may get the data package after the first month, but I decided to try it first without it, because I would never use it for browsing or email, because I always carry my laptop. I mainly just wanted the phone for the full keyboard because I text a lot.
    Also, not that I really even know hardly anyone with a bb, but can you use the pin messaging without the data package?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Download JL_Cmder to your PC. It won't run on a BB.

I uses Photoshop CS exclusively to prepare images for the BB. You can set both Size and DPI when downsizing, which makes it perfect. Additionally it has a feature under the file menu of Save to Web which will allow saving as a PNG file which the Theme Builder uses and you can control the file size to meet the limits imposed by that package. To resize in PS CS, right click on the window title bar above the image and select image size.

You will need a plan to use the Maps on a BB. And the same with Pin to Pin messaging. Both need access to the Blackberry Data Network.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer

OK, so in PS CS, I am trying to resize a picture and I changed the resolution to 160 pixels/inch, and am trying to get it to 320x240, but when I put in 320, it makes the height 214. If I change the height, it changes the width. Any suggestions? Sorry I'm sure these are total noob questions, but I appreciate the help!

Also, what you said about saving it as a PNG file, is that only used when creating your own theme? I'm definitely not to that point yet... I think I'll just try to get a picture on there first!

Thanks!

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Sounds like that your original image is not in the correct ratio to make a 320x240. In this case what I usually do is to make the side that is the smaller to the correct value, in this case the height, and use the Crop tool to get it to the correct format. When cropping you can constrain the aspect ratio to 320x240 and it makes it very easy to get them the right size.

And I use png for alot of my images on the BB because it is a smaller format than jpg for the same quality and supports transparency.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer

So I set the height to 240, and then how do I get it to the right size with the crop tool?

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

In PS CS, select the Crop Tool, Set the Width, Height and Resolution boxes to 320, 240, and 160 respectively. Then crop the image as you want to appear on the screen. See below.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

Hmm I've tried to do it a few times and when I hit crop, it freezes my computer... must be something wrong with my PS or somethin... anyways, thanks for your help I'm sure I will figure somethin out!