Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i hear that the only draw back to the 8900 is that it does'nt have ... BlackBerry Curve forum

donnyd no está en línea Stack level 1

8900 v's bold????????

Advertisement

i hear that the only draw back to the 8900 is that it does'nt have 3G, how will this affect the way the phone performs as i don't know alot about 3G

shepherd no está en línea Stack level 2
    3g service enables high speed internet browsing, as well as simultaneous web use(emails and web browsing) while on a voice call. Without 3g, you'll be browsing at EDGE speeds(decent, especially with Blackberry), and will only receive text messages while on a voice call, and not e-mails, and no web browsing while on a voice call

KaraBear no está en línea Stack level 3
    That is absolutely the only thing one could complain about in respect to the 8900. Other than the lack of UMTS, it's the best BlackBerry device on the market. But I don't believe the lack of 3G support diminishes the excellence of the device. The form factor is sleeker, sexier, nicer than the 9000. The screen looks much better, it has a better camera, more memory for applications, and a much more stable OS. The 8900 is much much faster than older generation Curves, and IMHO, it's still almost as fast as the Bold. And for the price, well it's definitely a must have.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    3G gives you a few things. As mentioned

The ability to talk on the phone and send emails, surf the web etc.
    Tethering will make a difference, better to surf in 3G instead of EDGE on your notebook

The Curve has some nice things too

The resolution on the screen is better
    3.2 Megapixel Camera
    Trackball

javatyger no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    U5W15H

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    The Curve has some nice things too

The resolution on the screen is better
    3.2 Megapixel Camera
    Trackball
    Yeah I was going to mention these - I love having a better camera now, and the talk time is definitely better - 3G kills your battery faster, so for the person that does lots of talking, it's best to choose a non-3G device.

Bold is great for surfing and definitely a more rugged device, but the new Curve 8900(javalin) has better features overall - better call time, better camera, sleeker design, just not as fast on the browsing. I would rather have all these other features compared to a faster browsing experience. And EDGE is not that bad on a Blackberry. :-)

sk1d no está en línea Stack level 2
    Thanks for the helpful review or aforementioned points.
    I am getting the 8900 tomorrow and so excited.

The only new BlackBerry I do not own now is the storm which I do not particularly like. I love my pearl especially when texting or sending and email with one hand.
    The bold is wider and therefore not easy to text using one hand unless its a big hand ha ha ha!

But the 8900 feels great. I used a demo one yesterday @ carphonewarehouse and loved it

Thanks again and please get the themes coming

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

anoxia187 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    i like my 8900 except for the mini usb i hate that all my chargers are mirco usb now i have to buy adapters.. Other then that i love my device bold keyboard is much easyer to type on and it smoother.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    The main difference when choosing between the Bold and the Curve 8900 will be your personal preferences. They are both great devices.

Much has been made about battery life being much worse due to 3G which simply is not the case. Yes, 3G when used for browsing does use a bit more battery, but in a very close and exact side by side test using my Curve 8310 vs my Bold, the battery life is nearly the same. This did not surprise me as I have used other 3G smartphones on the AT&T network for the last year and properly optimized these offer good battery life.

The one aspect of the Bold on 3G that IS a big disappointment is the speed. It's simply not as good as my other (Nokia, Samsung, Moto) 3G smartphones. RIM has work to do before they are competitive with 3G.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f
    the lack of 3g for the 8900 isn't really a big deal to me

fondoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A26BE1
    i for 3G all the way. its great that i'm on a phone conversation and my emails are rolling in.
    Upgraded the BlackBerry Curve to BlackBerry Bold 12/1/08.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    This is indeed quite nice. When I'm on a call it's via my BT ear piece & have watched as my emails arrive. Since I get a huge number of them, there are times when they just stream in constantly. It is quite fun to watch that in action.

sent via BlackBerry Bold
    ~(wap.pinstack.com)~

donnyd no está en línea Stack level 1
    thanks to everyone for there info on the above question asked. have a good xmas and maybe santa will bring a few of you an 8900 for being good

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Again, trust me, a Blackberry on EDGE is close or superior to some other devices on 3G.

KaraBear no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Again, trust me, a Blackberry on EDGE is close or superior to some other devices on 3G.
    This is definitely the case with the 8900. It's about as fast on EDGE as the Bold on 3G. Honestly.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    My storm on EDGE beat every single Bold on 3G we tried it against.
    like by at LEAST a second.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast