Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hi, as always, I have access to a pre-production 8900 device and go to briefly ... BlackBerry Curve forum

FiddlerMD no está en línea Device Pro

8900 initial impressions

Advertisement

Hi, as always, I have access to a pre-production 8900 device and go to briefly playing with it yesterda. I LOVE it. as much as I was indifferent to the bold cause it's kinda bulky and the storm cause it kinda.. sucks.., i just think the javelin is the best designed bb to date - speaking strictly form factor here. it feels great in the hand, it isn't very heavy (like the bold or storm), it is just a pleasuer to hold. I am not going to comment too much on softare since it's all pretty much the same as the bold. The unit I used also has wifi which is a very welcome edition (i believe it was a TMO device). the screen is as nice as the bold's but physically a bit smaller. my only complaint is that the keyboard isnt as generous as the bold, but that's to be expected since the device is about 1/4" narrower. the keys look like they're lifted straight from the current curve and i noticed the whole keypad kinda shifts around if you nudge it (all the keys are connected internally and that whole keypad isnt directly attached.. its' only anchored by the case itself if that makes sense)

again, can't comment much on speed of connection w/o wifi or any particular software yet since I had limited time with it, but once you hold it in your hand, you'll be in love. If you're comfortable typing on the curve, you should be fine w/ the keyboard too.
    bravo blackberry on a great design! now hire me so I can fix the storm for ya

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    Nice description on the keyboard...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    retired
    " the keys look like they're lifted straight from the current curve and i noticed the whole keypad kinda shifts around if you nudge it (all the keys are connected internally and that whole keypad isnt directly attached.. its' only anchored by the case itself if that makes sense)"

Agree that it looks like the same keyboard as the curve... thought they would have made some changes to a new style like the bold's.

Bold keyboard is solid and doesn't budge (left to right) and I noticed on my curves that the keypboard moved around a bit as it slid within the key cutouts on the faceplate.

Nice review !

k0pper no está en línea Stack level 1
    My keyboard on the curve behaves the same way. It moves around within the case. I've never found it to be a problem when typing and I have to say that the Curve keyboard is my favorite out of the numerous devices I have used so the fact that this new iteration uses that design only makes me want this device even more.
    8300 running 4.5.0.81 on T-Mo

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    oh man, thanks fiddler i would love to get my hands on one of these

what OS is on the device now?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    I want one soooo bad

FiddlerMD no está en línea Device Pro
    I didn't look at the status screen but I believe it's some variation of 4.6 (same as bold)

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Thanks for the quick review, Fiddler! Looking forward to the 3g version next year!

KaraBear no está en línea Stack level 3
    Most people around Waterloo of course have their choice of devices to use. Most choose the 8900 to the Bold, Storm, etc. It's a great device, we love it in this household.

cbarry317 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Kara,
    Do you have any other info on the 8900 or a personal review? Maybe about the software or actually any info would be nice to hear...

che17 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Personally i have been holding out for 8900. I could have gotten the Bold but it would have been expensive and a lot of work for me to sell my 8320 and then use the money that i got from that to go out and get the 9000. So i talked to TMo and they told me that they are going to be getting it, and about time.
    But my first impression would have to be the sleekness of the phone, i think can be attributed to the size, but also to the fact that it black keys on a black face. I like that the trackball is black to. I use my BB so much that the ball get dirty fast, but with a black track ball you will never know. TMo also told me that it is going to have Gps, and that will mean it is the first BB that TMo has gotten that has GPS (i think unless the 8220 has it) and i want that to use GPS and for apps that need GPS.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    I want it so bad!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

snipes mcgee no está en línea Stack level 4
    I love my Curve...and I really only want to get something that's better than the Curve.

And what's better than the Curve?

A better Curve! LOL.
    I have a BlackBerry and a WhiteApple. :)

cbarry317 no está en línea Stack level 2

Thumbs up

Exactly my thoughts!

KaraBear no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by cbarry317 View Post
    Kara,
    Do you have any other info on the 8900 or a personal review? Maybe about the software or actually any info would be nice to hear...
    Ok, below are links to 2 pic taken with the Cyrve 8900.

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/q...r/Javelin1.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/q...81028-1243.jpg

The camera is nice, however, the camera button on the right side is a bit akward, but the auto focus is awesome. You press the key half-way to focus and the rest to take the picture. You may also snap pics with the TB, and the auto-focus works automatically.
    The form factor is the best of any BlackBerry to date. The Storm and the 8900 basically have the same form factor, minus the touchscreen. They're basically in the same shell. The keys are spaced enough for fast typing, albeit the CAPS locks buttons are smaller than on the original Curve. The screen blows away the screen of the Bold. Brighter, crisper, cleaner, the best screen on a BlackBerry to date. The OS is basically the same as on the Bold, nice. The 8900 also supports some Divx, which is awesome. I have to go get my son from school, but will post more after while.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast