Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Media Player ( music ) : no lag when selecting Shuffle Songs (~700 songs on ... BlackBerry Curve forum

penk no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

Media Player (music): no lag when selecting Shuffle Songs (~700 songs on a SanDisk 8GB). tracking within the progress bar now has 0:03 intervals with a gentle scroll, move the ball quicker for greater increments. using the volume buttons for "next" and "previous" is smarter, though moving the headset jack to just above the buttons is dumber. the external reviewer that mentioned "only six" volume bars didn't notice each bar has two steps.

Media Player (video): have checked out a few videos, one i converted for the 8320 using SeaByrd and it played perfectly; and 3 video podcasts straight from iTunes, all played without conversion, although the larger dimension videos went off sync and skipped now and then. umm, is it me or did nobody bother to mention A2DP was enabled?

Browser: buggy, just a bit, but it could be my settings. it looks better than before, but some rendering is off. the keyboard shortcuts have changed, and now the 'S' opens Options, where before it saved the page to the message list. 'J' now reloads the page with Javascript enabled (nice). also, each Bookmark now has additional settings: "Browser Identification", useful for jerk sites that relegate your wireless IP to the WAPsite (looking at you, statesman.com); "View", for choosing Page or Column; and JavaScript for those pesky sites that try to be too pretty.

MicroUSB: suck it up, crybabies. if this is what it takes to get high speed USB onto a 'berry, i'm all for it. backups happen so fast, and MediaSync doesn't crawl and drag itself through quicksand. transfer through Mass Storage seemed faster than using a card reader! (but probably wasn't.)

LCD: wow. thing makes BBClarity look really cheap and weak. after using that font exclusively since its debut, i have now switched to BB Alpha Sans. but i'm still tweaking the size settings, 7 gets almost too tiny on this screen and they even now have size 2 (!) in the Browser.

Miscellaneous hardware: love, love, love the stealth trackball and silent keypad, smooth scrolling and soft response, respectively. the lock button is awesome, and there's no more awkward unlock key combo. still think the mute key should bring up the Profile menu, though it is nice they relocated the icon on this theme. i also now understand the relocation of the left and right side convenience keys, as each are placed perfectly for leftys or rightys.

Spell Check: email now offers "as you go" feature which will underline words not recognized. still wish Auto Complete (akin to SureType's) was added, but alas, 'twas not.

GPS: haven't cracked the manual yet, but it hangs at "Checking satellites..."

that's enough for now. i tried to touch upon things that haven't been mentioned yet, or that detractors have specifically criticized.

bajanbastard no está en línea Stack level 4
    ~via Bajan's one true love: BB 8900 (wap.pinstack.com)~Thanks Penk. For the GPS issues did you try standing outside? I find it takes forever while indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by bajanbastard View Post
    ~via Bajan's one true love: BB 8900 (wap.pinstack.com)~Thanks Penk. For the GPS issues did you try standing outside? I find it takes forever while indoors.
    thanks for the tip! tried this coming home from errands, and even in motion it tracked well. i called out the street names from the 'berry as we neared and crossed each street. neat!

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by penk View Post
    MicroUSB: suck it up, crybabies. if this is what it takes to get high speed USB onto a 'berry, i'm all for it. backups happen so fast, and MediaSync doesn't crawl and drag itself through quicksand. transfer through Mass Storage seemed faster than using a card reader! (but probably wasn't.)
    I find that transferring files via USB is quicker on the Bold. I believe it depends more on the memory card (class) than the port itself. Could be wrong though.
    -Tim

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnxp View Post
    I find that transferring files via USB is quicker on the Bold. I believe it depends more on the memory card (class) than the port itself. Could be wrong though.
    indeed some memory cards have slower writing speeds than others.

drew4flt72 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Hey guys, I saw the Engadget video review of the 8900 on Saturday and the browser did embarrassingly poor . Can someone shed some light on the browser issue?? To be honest it won't change my mind about getting this phone one iota, but I would appreciate the heads up and if this will be a recurring issue.

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    I wonder if there is a utility to test transfer speed.... I have Sandisk 16 Gb SDHC cards in both my 8900 and 9000 devices. I can't see a whole lot of difference in the transfer speed.

Other than the fact the micro-usb port is smaller and supports OTG (On the Go) data transfer, there is no difference in the data transfer rate between desktop and BB. The transfer rate of 480 Mb/s is dictated by the USB 2.0 port, not by the connector on the B end. Until USB 3.0 is released (Q1 2010) to the public the 480 Mb/s rate cannot be surpassed. This is then limited further by the transfer rate of the device or microSDHC card, which at present is 10 MB/s on the SanDisk 8Gb and 16Gb SDHC cards.

This said, I wish RIM had left the port in the same place as it was on the Curve and Bold. As it is now, the BB has to be out of the case to be sync'd or charged (minor inconvenience).

So if people are looking for negatives on the 8900, look no further than the OS. It has all the bugs 4.6 had/has on the Bold. This isn't a deal breaker for me, but it is frustrating that these bugs were known on the Bold and yet they were still included in 4.6.1 for the Curve.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by drew4flt72 View Post
    Hey guys, I saw the Engadget video review of the 8900 on Saturday and the browser did embarrassingly poor . Can someone shed some light on the browser issue??
    the browser performance seen in that video has been addressed many times, but the best, most concise response is there in the comments at the link you posted.

read Luc's response here.

silviajdm no está en línea Stack level 3
    Reading up some of these reviews well help me decide between picking up the 8900 or getting a Nokia E71.

~via smartphone~

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I have had both phones and honestly while the E71 and Symbian OS are both great, the e71 needs some improvement to be able to compete with the 8900.
    Granted there is lots of available apps but the E71 lacks the speed of the 8900 as well as the MAGNIFICENT screen.
    They are both great great devices nonetheless...

PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnxp View Post
    You also have to consider the fact that the 8900 has 512 mhz processor and the Bold has a 624 mhz processor. The onboard ram also affects data transfer speed, so the 8900 @ 256 meg compared to the Bold at 128 meg, makes up for a little of what is lost with the 8900 having a slower processor.

All in all, the 8900 is a tad slower, but not slow enough to make it annoying.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

drew4flt72 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by penk View Post
    the browser performance seen in that video has been addressed many times, but the best, most concise response is there in the comments at the link you posted.

read Luc's response here.
    Thanks Penk, that makes a lot of sense and made the guy (and this 8900 fan) reviewing the browser look like an @ss!!

PIN/ID
    2831A313
    ~via smartphone~

Let's see what happens typing with .144. Nope, still no text wrap.

Come on RIM... Get on it!

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    A small pet peeve that is growing on me:

Why put the charging part on the right side (along with just about every other convenience key) and on the bottom so it makes it extremely difficult to keep using your blackberry while charging?

Someone had to have seen this was a poor idea during QA testing.

~via smartphone~ <~ someone needs to update, add the 8900

yeah, i feel bad for any southpaw 'berry users. just about no chance to use-while-charging. (unless your stigmata is flaring up...)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast