Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Have you thought about TMO's Hotspot @ Home? If you are on UMA and have ... BlackBerry Curve forum

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator

Advertisement

Have you thought about TMO's Hotspot @ Home? If you are on UMA and have this feature, it does not use your mins for calls. It is $9.99 per month. UMA also works if you are at any wifi location like a Starbucks. I have heard of people dropping their landline's because of this feature.

But, you do need some type of router at home to pick up the wifi.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    Yes actually I believe I have that.. I have a Tmo router as my landline (goes through my real router) and the first thing the 8900 did was connect to that. However, it doesn't really have an internet connection (only voice, I believe) so I switched my wifi connection to my REAL router.. And it still showed UMA!

So I called Tmo and the rep stated that I did NOT need anything extra for UMA use, that it's included already.. Possiby because I have the tmo landline? I forgot to ask. However, my girlfriend has Tmo and most of the people I talk to have Tmo, so I've set my voice network to Mobile Network Preferred so I won't have to deal with call drops if my router decides to do a reset or something other. It's mobile to mobile anyways!
    -Tim

Great idea... I was wondering about getting the TMO landline, because sometimes my router, which is from a different company, drops my calls while on UMA.

Apparently I can "upgrade" that line and get new shiny toys with it! (Such as the next Blackberry.. I hope)
    -Tim

blessedk82 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up

Great review. I'm awaiting the arrival of mine and was somewhat hesitant if I could switch over.

If you're coming from the 8320 like your profile says, you should have no problem switching over. Everything is familiar, but fresher!
    -Tim

Apparantly my phone and internet are with the same company and I can't use their internet w/o the phone plan, so if I get the TMO landline, I will have to get a new internet provider.

Aw that's a bummer. I personally rarely use the land line though, and the ONLY line is in my bedroom! This household has become very reliant on our cell phones.
    -Tim

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnxp View Post
    Yes actually I believe I have that.. I have a Tmo router as my landline (goes through my real router) and the first thing the 8900 did was connect to that. However, it doesn't really have an internet connection (only voice, I believe) so I switched my wifi connection to my REAL router.. And it still showed UMA!

So I called Tmo and the rep stated that I did NOT need anything extra for UMA use, that it's included already.. Possiby because I have the tmo landline? I forgot to ask. However, my girlfriend has Tmo and most of the people I talk to have Tmo, so I've set my voice network to Mobile Network Preferred so I won't have to deal with call drops if my router decides to do a reset or something other. It's mobile to mobile anyways!
    Basically heres how it works :

The UMA hardware is built in the 8900 and it works with ANY wifi router.
    The 8900 will ALWAYS connect to UMA no matter if you have the UMA service on your cellular subscription or not (be it Rogers or Tmo).

If you do have the addon, your calls wont come out of your monthly minute allocation aka the Free Unlimited UMA Calling for xx$/Month option.
    If you do not have said addon, your call will STILL go over UMA but you will be billed for them the same way calls are billed if youre on the cellular network aka coming out of your monthly minute allocation.

Meaning, if you dont subscribe to it because you do not need that because you have a home phone but one day you find yourself at a cottage with NO reception, your can STILL use UMA (neat huh ?) and this work over ANY wifi not only a special router.

Now the reason why they (Rogers and Tmo) will try a sell you a Special Router, is because those said routers have a special voice mode enabled that keeps some of your bandwidth aside for voice calls.

So say youre downloading a huge torrent over your network and you use UMA yet you use your own router ... well it might not work well lol ... to say the least.

Now same case, USING A UMA ROUTER, your calls will go over the wireless network through that specific voice bandwidth.

Get it ?

Sorry for going on and on lol.
    Last edited by ranxoren; 01-30-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Very good post ran, you are exactly right, but I pay $9.99 for the add on at TMO US (Hotspot at Home)

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    Very good post ran, you are exactly right, but I pay $9.99 for the add on at TMO US (Hotspot at Home)
    Oh i was just throwing a number out there lol (fixed) :P
    And CONGRATULATIONS for making the Mod team !!

Thanks for the explanation Ran(x? lol!) That makes a lot of sense; It's nice to have a "Just in case" option if I'm stuck in a dead zone.
    -Tim

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnxp View Post
    Thanks for the explanation Ran(x? lol!) That makes a lot of sense; It's nice to have a "Just in case" option if I'm stuck in a dead zone.
    its ranx but a lot of people just put ran - its not like it is supposed to be ANYTHING anyways haha.

And yeah agreed with the "just in case". Im on the road a lot and love the UMA option.

Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Oh i was just throwing a number out there lol (fixed) :P
    And CONGRATULATIONS for making the Mod team !!
    Thank you ranx.. I feel very flattered and lucky to be on a team of such talented and knowlegable individuals.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    They all have a great sense of judgement therefore i KNOW you deserve it

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast