Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tired of 8900 reviews? Don't read! So I'm sitting here waiting for some primer to ... BlackBerry Curve forum

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro

Thumbs up 8900 Impressions

Advertisement

Tired of 8900 reviews? Don't read!

So I'm sitting here waiting for some primer to dry (and hoping that it doesn't rain tonight), and I figure I'll throw together a few thoughts on the 8900 so far. Not an in depth review, just a few impressions..

Speaker
    The speaker on the 8900 is LOUD. Louder than the Bold, to be honest. However, it is not as crisp as the Bold's. Audio through the loudspeaker on the Bold is not as loud, but it is much more CLEAR and smooth.
    Keyboard
    I. Love. It. It is not as "smooth" as the Bold's keyboard, but neither is it as "hollow" as the 8300 series. Like most people have said, it is a blend, and it works very well. Much easier to type with just one hand.
    USB Port
    Micro USB. New standard? I hope so, because having to switch up my chargers/USB cables is quite annoying. Yes, I will get an adapter.. Only because I do not want to buy (yet another) car charger. And the location (bottom right side) is annoying at best. Definitely gets in the way of typing if you also have the phone plugged in.
    Earphones
    It came with the old-school (read: non in-ear) headphones. WEAK SAUCE!
    UMA
    UMA works well. This is my first UMA device for Tmobile, as all my previous BB's were unlocked AT&T devices. (What can I say, I love my GPS) It does not drop calls going from UMA to the normal network. However, I turned my settings to Network Preferred, as 90% of the people I talk to are within my m2m minutes any how.
    Wi-fi
    I guess this goes along with UMA but.. Wi-fi works MUCH better than it did with the Bold. Maybe because it's an actual Tmo device, I don't know. On the Bold, I would still be able to get emails during a call if I was connected through wifi, but I could not send out emails or load webpages. Now I can on the 8900!
    Camera
    No where near my N95, but quite crisp regardless. The autofocus works well, but there is no "just-snap-the-damn-picture" mode. You MUST wait for the autofocus to do it's thang.
    Mute/Lock Buttons
    I often used the mute button to put the Bold on standby. Problem was, that button was much slimmer than on the older BB's. It wasn't hard to press, but it wasn't as easy as before. The problem is solved with the 8900's mute/lock keys built into the top of the phone.. Makes you wonder why no one thought of it sooner.

Oh, and in response to Ranx's review on the PSCast: When I set up my email, I still get sent to the WAP site. Apparently Tmo users do not get the email set up "app."
    Overall, I am very pleased with this device. I do not miss my Bold, let's put it that way. My brother is LOVING his new Bold, and I don't blame him. Great device, but the 8900 hits the sweet spot for me. It feels much smaller and tighter than the 9000.
    Any other questions.. feel free to ask. I hope all of you that are waiting on your 8900 get it very soon.
    Last edited by ssnxp; 01-29-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Meh! no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me...
    Couldn't have put that better myself(hah or even close) :-)

Blaine

bajanbastard no está en línea Stack level 4
    Thanks Ssnxp. I agree with you're overall impressions of the device. How the battery treating you?
    Device history: 8100 > 8320 > 8900 & 9530. Keep crackin'

It's not bad so far, I keep plugging it in every time I can. I'll do a drain test tomorrow.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    very accurate review, imo. don't forget to update your profile, you're with the 8900 crew now. ;0)

also i'm not sure if you already have, but there is an update floating around by the name of .133. I threw it on and it seems to have lengthened battery life and even volume seems slightly louder. it's a pretty solid OS.

Thanks, just updated the profile. Updating to .133 was the first thing I did!

bunky1971 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    22F29DE1

8900 black ball

Hi - i'm wondering if anyone has had the blackball trackball continue to click even when the device is locked?
    Ohhh BTW........just what exactly is a Bunky?

By itself? No.. It clicks if I press on it.

bunky1971 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    22F29DE1
    I noticed it clicks after I lock it and 'drop' it in my shirt pocket.....
    Ohhh BTW........just what exactly is a Bunky?

What do you mean? Is something changing on the screen or do you HEAR a clicking noise?

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnxp View Post

So I'm sitting here waiting for some primer to dry (and hoping that it doesn't rain tonight), and I figure I'll throw together a few thoughts on the 8900 so far. Not an in depth review, just a few impressions..

Speaker
    The speaker on the 8900 is LOUD. Louder than the Bold, to be honest. However, it is not as crisp as the Bold's. Audio through the loudspeaker on the Bold is not as loud, but it is much more CLEAR and smooth.
    Keyboard
    I. Love. It. It is not as "smooth" as the Bold's keyboard, but neither is it as "hollow" as the 8300 series. Like most people have said, it is a blend, and it works very well. Much easier to type with just one hand.
    USB Port
    Micro USB. New standard? I hope so, because having to switch up my chargers/USB cables is quite annoying. Yes, I will get an adapter.. Only because I do not want to buy (yet another) car charger. And the location (bottom right side) is annoying at best. Definitely gets in the way of typing if you also have the phone plugged in.
    Earphones
    It came with the old-school (read: non in-ear) headphones. WEAK SAUCE!
    UMA
    UMA works well. This is my first UMA device for Tmobile, as all my previous BB's were unlocked AT&T devices. (What can I say, I love my GPS) It does not drop calls going from UMA to the normal network. However, I turned my settings to Network Preferred, as 90% of the people I talk to are within my m2m minutes any how.
    Wi-fi
    I guess this goes along with UMA but.. Wi-fi works MUCH better than it did with the Bold. Maybe because it's an actual Tmo device, I don't know. On the Bold, I would still be able to get emails during a call if I was connected through wifi, but I could not send out emails or load webpages. Now I can on the 8900!
    Camera
    No where near my N95, but quite crisp regardless. The autofocus works well, but there is no "just-snap-the-damn-picture" mode. You MUST wait for the autofocus to do it's thang.
    Mute/Lock Buttons
    I often used the mute button to put the Bold on standby. Problem was, that button was much slimmer than on the older BB's. It wasn't hard to press, but it wasn't as easy as before. The problem is solved with the 8900's mute/lock keys built into the top of the phone.. Makes you wonder why no one thought of it sooner.

Oh, and in response to Ranx's review on the PSCast: When I set up my email, I still get sent to the WAP site. Apparently Tmo users do not get the email set up "app."
    Overall, I am very pleased with this device. I do not miss my Bold, let's put it that way. My brother is LOVING his new Bold, and I don't blame him. Great device, but the 8900 hits the sweet spot for me. It feels much smaller and tighter than the 9000.
    Any other questions.. feel free to ask. I hope all of you that are waiting on your 8900 get it very soon.
    Great review my man
    And too bad for the Setup App, maybe Tmo will update their BIS servers to allow that sometime soon.
    It is pretty neat though.

Cheers and glad youre enjyoing your device

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnxp View Post

Just wanted to say that you do get the manage internet email icon for TMO after you send the service books and register. At least I have on all the BB phones that I have had. Maybe it is different for the 8900
    Last edited by pdxmatts; 01-30-2009 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    Just wanted to say that you do get the manage internet email icon for TMO after you send the service books and register. At least I have on all the BB phones that I have had. Maybe it is different for the 8900
    Yes, I always get the icon, but in Ranx's review (in the PScast) he mentions that the icon actually opens an application, rather than the browser that takes you to the WAP setup. Am I making sense?
    -Tim

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Yes you are thats what i meant.
    I basically have TWO setup email icons. One opens the wap page, one opens the application.
    Ill try and post screenshots later

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Ahh, I see now. That would be a cool app to have

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast